I don't care for Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#16 AmUnderage

AmUnderage

Neowinian

• Phone: 999

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:20

Let me explain. My girlfriends mom bought a new laptop with Windows 8 and I can live without it. I'm not a Windows hater at all since I have used EVERY Windows OS since 95, but this one doesn't do it for me. I was one of the few people who loved Vista since it worked flawlessly for me, but for some reason I can't get into Windows 8. I just want to know, am I the only person that would rather stick with Windows 7?

And no, I'm not saying Windows 8 sucks, that would be a lie. But I AM saying that since Windows 7 is such a strong OS, I will probably stick with that for now.

I thought just like you until I got used to win 8,I really love the UI now , I haven't got touch screen as I saw my friend use his with win8,you can do some things faster with a mouse than a touch.

#17 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:01

If you love Windows 7, then there is really no reason you shouldn't love Windows 8.

Windows 8 takes all of Windows 7 and makes it faster, more stable, more efficient and adds on a great touch UI, a place to gain access to thousands of more apps, and a start screen that is far more powerful and flexible than the start menu ever was.

The number of improvements far out number the few new oddities that you have to learn.

How exactly is windows 8 more stable than windows 7?

#18 ahoncbt

ahoncbt

Neowinian

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:17

Same, but in my case 8 was temperemental, and then the laptop I demoed in PC World gave me the same errors, no loss 7 still has some life left in it :)
(Though by now, they've probably got the wifi, keyboard and mouse, and sound <the three main errors I got, on my pc and the Shop Floor laptop, acer somethingorother> fixed)

same here but i am going to move to mac.

#19 Thingol

Thingol

Neowinian

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:25

So do I, you are not alone. Waiting for Blue.

#20 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:31

Let me explain. My girlfriends mom bought a new laptop with Windows 8 and I can live without it. I'm not a Windows hater at all since I have used EVERY Windows OS since 95, but this one doesn't do it for me. I was one of the few people who loved Vista since it worked flawlessly for me, but for some reason I can't get into Windows 8. I just want to know, am I the only person that would rather stick with Windows 7?

And no, I'm not saying Windows 8 sucks, that would be a lie. But I AM saying that since Windows 7 is such a strong OS, I will probably stick with that for now.

I tried to get used to it, so bad. I wanted to get used to it. I just couldn't. I hate the changes they've made, and went for a refund from MS.

#21 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:49

How exactly is windows 8 more stable than windows 7?

While this is old data and third party
http://www.zdnet.com...s-8-7000007528/

#22 jackkk1

jackkk1

Neowinian

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:55

Interesting, why no one is bitching about absence of start menu on android?

#23 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:03

When was the last time you booted up Android on your desktop/laptop.

That kind of response is completely unhelpful.

More to the point, when you have such an inordinate dominance of the market, people aren't being unreasonable in expecting some level of stability from your software..

#24 Seketh

Seketh

Neowinian

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:52

It's nice to see that most of the people have accepted that Windows 8 isn't the Windows version of the anti-christ, it just isn't for them.

It's a refreshing change from all the hate that existed before the launch.

I still think most people will end up using Windows Next and say it's much better than Windows 8, when in fact it'll just be an incremental update... Kinda like what happened with Vista.

#25 DKAngel

DKAngel

That i cannot own ....I shall destroy

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:14

meh im loving it and now finding it hard to use windows 7 when the family throws it at me ive gotten used to doing things in 8 and it just seems more logical when u actually just grow up and learn =]

#26 UseLess

UseLess

Neowinian

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:25

I've used windows 8, on my PC and my surface, and i must say I really love it....but I don't think its an "upgrade" per se over Win7...more a side-grade. The issue is...windows 7 was so damn fantastic! It was super stable, super pretty, and really smooth to use.

Where I do think Win8 is great is that I can have a consistent UI on my surface AND home PC...I do value that. My mum knows how to use her surface, and when i sit her in front of my PC she goes "hey its the same!"

#27 Darrian

Darrian

The Apathetic

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:28

The number of "improvements" are immediately invalidated once a person is confronted with the hostile UI.

lol Hostile UI? The only significant changes to the UI on the desktop are the loss of transparency on window borders and the addition of the ribbon (which can be disabled, though I forget where I got the program to do that). Honestly, once I got my frequently used apps pinned to the taskbar I can hardly tell the difference from 7. I even got my sidebar gadgets back thanks to somebody on another site who ripped the components from the release preview and put together a batch installer. If you happen to have a ******** of apps you use frequently, Bins has been updated to work with 8 so you can group your shortcuts. If you can't live without the start menu there are a ton of 3rd party programs that will add it back for you (I personally prefer Start8). Yeah, I'll agree that you shouldn't have to install another program to restore or enhance functionality so it works as you would expect it should (like previous versions of Windows), but I really don't understand people having this extreme a reaction to a change of the application launcher.

@OP: I'm sorry Windows 8 didn't work out for you. 7 is a great OS, too, so it's not going to hurt you considerably to stay with it. There were a few irritating bugs that I won't miss, but essentially 8 is to 7 what 7 was to Vista: a service pack. I'm glad I only paid $15 for it, because I probably wouldn't pay $99+. But that doesn't mean I regret it, at all; I'm thrilled that MS was practically giving it away at launch. It probably cut down on a lot of piracy, too.

#28 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:56

I have not used windows 8 since the beta stages, really should try it again just to keep up to date with it really lol

#29 johnporter29

johnporter29

a = 1; b = 2; a + b = c

• Phone: Lenovo A820

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:13

So do I, you are not alone. Waiting for Blue.

Blue is looking to be more of an under the hood update with a new kernel etc rather than bringing major UI changes etc. I would only expect some very minor changes to the UI but nothing major in that department.

#30 Ishanx

Ishanx

Neowinian

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:19

I don't care for it but I'll make a topic about it. /s

As said above, if you love Windows 7, there is no reason to hate Windows 8. Want to search for something? Hit the Windows key and type. Want to search for files faster? Install "Search Everything". It's simple.