• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:23

i dont care for windows at all.

#32 Thingol

Thingol

Neowinian

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:30

Blue is looking to be more of an under the hood update with a new kernel etc rather than bringing major UI changes etc. I would only expect some very minor changes to the UI but nothing major in that department.

We'll see. After all, it's not a big deal. Windows 7 is well supported right now.

#33 Soldiers33

Soldiers33

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:43

I actually like windows 7 and theres no much difference between the 2. The reason I dont install it though is becuase for some reason my keyboard stops working when I install windows 8 even though drivers and so on are installed.

#34 billyea

billyea

Your Two Cents

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:50

I care just enough about this thread to post in it, but not enough to take a side in an obviously tired argument.

#35 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• Phone: iPhone 6+, iOS 8.1

Posted 25 February 2013 - 13:11

Windows 8 doesn't do it for me one simple reason.
It is a built for touch, those of us with desktop machines find it simply (for most of us) unworkable and unbearable to work with.
I still think they need 2 distinct operating systems.
1 for touch based devices, and another for home desktop machines with mouse and keyboard inputs.
Because of that, I'm sticking with Windows 7, and I know MANY others doing the same for the above reasons.

#36 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 25 February 2013 - 13:23

I just want to know, am I the only person that would rather stick with Windows 7?

Have you read ANY of the windows 8 threads for the past few months ?

#37 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

Posted 25 February 2013 - 13:48

You're not alone. Apart from hating the start screen and UI changes I found it to be a buggy mess. My licence only cost me £14.99 and I still feel like my money was completely wasted.

#38 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 25 February 2013 - 13:51

Haven't you posted this like three times already?

#39 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 25 February 2013 - 13:52

I dont like the inconsistency in Win8. Like lhe all apps menu scrolls when I move the mouse to the edge of the screen. It does not scroll when I am browsing Apps in the App Store. I can deal without a start menu but it needs to be polished more. Plus, Windows 7 just looked better. I liked the Aero look and Win8 looks plain without it.

#40 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 25 February 2013 - 13:58

You're not alone. Apart from hating the start screen and UI changes I found it to be a buggy mess. My licence only cost me £14.99 and I still feel like my money was completely wasted.

Have not even used my license yet. Cost me the same but I have been fooling with the trial for a while now. Start Menu wasnt as big a deal as I thought it would be. Just looks ugly, plain, and boring.

#41 nub

nub

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 February 2013 - 14:23

Once you get a Start Menu replacement, Windows 8 becomes essentially Windows 7. If you're lucky you won't have any issues.

Here are my issues with Win8:

Netflix/Silverlight broke. Whenever a Netflix video is paused, the screen goes black. Issue began after upgrading to Windows 8 from Windows 7. Reinstalled Windows 8 and issue went away. Month later, issue is back.
Bluescreen. I've had Windows 8 bluescreen on me while checking for Windows updates.
Explorer.exe crashes, this one might be related to Start8

#42 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64Ce Pro w/Media nter Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 850 Pro 256GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 970
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 25 February 2013 - 14:36

Just built new computer, don't care for Windows 8; good topic.

I didn't care for Windows 8 much, and there's still a lot I don't like about it. Modern UI Search is abysmal, and the Core Media apps are crap, and there's no Modern Media/Playlist/Sync app for Windows Phone 8 or Surface RT. It needs Zune Modern UI bad, but MS isn't going to make that piece of middleware. They're stuck on stupid with the craptastic Xbox Music app for Windows 8.

Having said that, Windows 8 Desktop Environment is a meaningful upgrade from Windows 7. Get Start8 or a similar start menu replacement and you won't think of going back. Modern UI apps themselves aren't bad, especially if Snap is designed well. But the Start Page is mostly a wasted, doesn't handle lots of tiles well, and has no folders/nesting. Modern UI, right now, is primarily for tablets and to me that's not debatable. If full-blown high end Modern UI apps show up, that may change. I think games will come first, and they perform better under Windows 8.

So, if you new PC budget has $5 left, I highly recommend purchasing Start8 and moving forward with Windows 8.

#43 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 25 February 2013 - 14:47

Secure Boot, Hardware independent backups, Windows to go, storage spaces, refs, file history, multi-monitor , NTFS quick repair, metered networks, reset/refresh windows, HyperV, ISO and vhd mount, Improved explorer and task manager...

So much improvements its not just a pretty gui

#44 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia 920

Posted 25 February 2013 - 14:54

I don't care, if you don't care.

#45 Order_66

Order_66

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:24

lol Hostile UI? The only significant changes to the UI on the desktop are the loss of transparency on window borders and the addition of the ribbon

Not sure if you are trolling or just on another planet altogether.
Windows 8 doesn't boot to desktop by default, it boots to the user-hostile "start screen" or "metro" or whatever name you have for the abomination and there is no start menu on the desktop.