• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#46 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:27

Not sure if you are trolling or just on another planet altogether.
Windows 8 doesn't boot to desktop by default, it boots to the user-hostile "start screen" or "metro" or whatever name you have for the abomination and there is no start menu on the desktop.

Tiles are "user-hostile"? Please...

#47 Order_66

Order_66

Neowinian

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:34

Tiles are "user-hostile"? Please...

I didn't say "tiles" were user-hostile, just one of the many examples of you trying to twist comments and put words in my mouth.

That shaky ground you're on...

#48 +Neotech085

Neotech085

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:35

Let me explain. My girlfriends mom bought a new laptop with Windows 8 and I can live without it. I'm not a Windows hater at all since I have used EVERY Windows OS since 95, but this one doesn't do it for me. I was one of the few people who loved Vista since it worked flawlessly for me, but for some reason I can't get into Windows 8. I just want to know, am I the only person that would rather stick with Windows 7?

And no, I'm not saying Windows 8 sucks, that would be a lie. But I AM saying that since Windows 7 is such a strong OS, I will probably stick with that for now.

I don't care for you either because you don't care so don't I care, because you hate windows 8.

#49 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:38

I didn't say "tiles" were user-hostile, just one of the many examples of you trying to twist comments and put words in my mouth.

That shaky ground you're on...

Then how is the Start Screen "hostile" if tiles aren't? Because that's all the Start Screen is.

#50 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:59

Then how is the Start Screen "hostile" if tiles aren't? Because that's all the Start Screen is.

A few reasons I can think of off the top of my head:

- Sideways scrolling is off-putting with a mouse
- Viewing all installed programs involves opening the start screen, right clicking on an empty area and having to click All Apps. Why no just have an All Apps button in the wasted space next to the User button.
- The All Apps view is dreadful anyway
- Lack of context menus, and their solution to get around it is fine for touch, not good with a mouse
- Having a open a whole new environment to search or open a program is jarring
- Organisation of files by group is fine, unless you want a lot of tiles. No sort of folders means scrolling.
- Lack of decent customisation options without 3rd party software

#51 yowanvista

yowanvista

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: i9001-CM11-KitKat 4.4.4 - Kernel 3.4.96

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:05

Just install Start8 and disable all the touch/metro nonsense. Else back to Windows 7. :)

#52 +Neotech085

Neotech085

Neowinian

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:11

A few reasons I can think of off the top of my head:

- Sideways scrolling is off-putting with a mouse
- Viewing all installed programs involves opening the start screen, right clicking on an empty area and having to click All Apps. Why no just have an All Apps button in the wasted space next to the User button.
- The All Apps view is dreadful anyway
- Lack of context menus, and their solution to get around it is fine for touch, not good with a mouse
- Having a open a whole new environment to search or open a program is jarring
- Organisation of files by group is fine, unless you want a lot of tiles. No sort of folders means scrolling.
- Lack of decent customisation options without 3rd party software

Maybe is time for another Country to start a company with there own OS, Since the American ppl can't get things right anymore, and is all becoming corrupt in the U.S.

Just install Start8 and disable all the touch/metro nonsense. Else back to Windows 7. :)

Go back to Windows 7 who would install start8.

#53 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:18

Go back to Windows 7 who would install start8.

Personally I like the improvements of Windows 8, but I still can't live without the 'classic' start bar, so I have it installed on all my installations of Windows 8. It's a good compromise between going Windows 7/8.

#54 +Neotech085

Neotech085

Neowinian

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:25

Personally I like the improvements of Windows 8, but I still can't live without the 'classic' start bar, so I have it installed on all my installations of Windows 8. It's a good compromise between going Windows 7/8.

Improvements what improvements, they got it backwards who in there right mind will take away the start menu bring it back Steve Ballmer you should be getting a pay cut or getting fire, the future Windows will be a big fail if they do away with the desktop.

#55 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:14

what improvements

Short list http://en.wikipedia....ew_to_Windows_8
Doesn't even mention the SSD handling improvements, new printer class framework that cuts down the list of drivers installed with Windows, massive cleanup of the forty different ways to do everything, HE ASLR, massively improved chkdsk function, memory combining, tickless kernel and other fun stuff

#56 +Neotech085

Neotech085

Neowinian

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:19

Short list http://en.wikipedia....ew_to_Windows_8
Doesn't even mention the SSD handling improvements, new printer class framework that cuts down the list of drivers installed with Windows, massive cleanup of the forty different ways to do everything, HE ASLR, massively improved chkdsk function, memory combining, tickless kernel and other fun stuff

Still sucks people who want to try win 8 it isn't worth the money. keep your Windows 7 or XP.

#57 Kelxin

Kelxin

Neowinian

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:20

How exactly is windows 8 more stable than windows 7?

Here Warwagon, have some cool-aid. :pacifier: You will see how much more stable Windows 8 is also :shiftyninja:

#58 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:23

Still sucks people who want to try win 8 it isn't worth the money. keep your Windows 7.

Good to know...if I ever agree with you I'm sure that'll mean something.

#59 nub

nub

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:38

Netflix/Silverlight broke. Whenever a Netflix video is paused, the screen goes black. Issue began after upgrading to Windows 8 from Windows 7. Reinstalled Windows 8 and issue went away. Month later, issue is back.

I know this is off topic, but if anybody runs into this problem, disabling Hyper-V seems to fix the issue.

#60 Kelxin

Kelxin

Neowinian

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:44

Good to know...if I ever agree with you I'm sure that'll mean something.

But, by now hopefully you've realized that you don't agree with them, and that means something too.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!