Building a desktop

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#16 notchinese

notchinese

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:54

If you have a Microcenter near you (I realize most people don't) you can get a better deal on Ivy Bridge cpus.

#17 OP YounGMessiah

YounGMessiah

"individual magnets"

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:14

I got one in Denver (two hour drive), ill check them out. Thanks!

Edit: Nice $189.99, im impressed thanks man

#18 Luc2k

Luc2k

Neowinian

Posted 26 February 2013 - 18:15

For RAM, get a CL9 version without the huge radiator, unless you want that for aesthetics. As for case, I like the simple Fractal Design (there's other colours), although the the BUC is around 35% off overall right now.

#19 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 February 2013 - 20:00

Yea, I always prefer RAM without the massive heatsinks, they can cause all sorts of problems if you want to get a CPU cooler later on.

#20 OP YounGMessiah

YounGMessiah

"individual magnets"

Posted 26 February 2013 - 20:52

For RAM, get a CL9 version without the huge radiator, unless you want that for aesthetics. As for case, I like the simple Fractal Design (there's other colours), although the the BUC is around 35% off overall right now.

I already decided on the Buc for the case, fits my taste and has what I need.

Ive been reading about the CL and does it really matter? How do I know what mine is? Is it a CL10 because of the 10 at the end? Im a tad confused on why it would matter

#21 Luc2k

Luc2k

Neowinian

Posted 26 February 2013 - 22:13

Ive been reading about the CL and does it really matter? How do I know what mine is? Is it a CL10 because of the 10 at the end? Im a tad confused on why it would matter

You can usually deduce the specs from the product code. On Newegg they're the same price, so why not go for the faster one (even if there's not much of a difference).

#22 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 26 February 2013 - 22:29

If you want to shave off another few bucks, give this mobo some consideration:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131837

There's not exactly any advantages I can see besides price, but I personally like Asus above any other mobo company. I can't speak for the Gigabyte one, but this Asus one has a really nice UEFI (bios) layout and has a bunch of overclocking presets, which makes it extremely easy. I OC'd my i7 to over 4Ghz with no issues and also ran SLI with no issues. Easily the best mobo I've ever owned. Just a bit of personal experience for you. :)

#23 OP YounGMessiah

YounGMessiah

"individual magnets"

Posted 26 February 2013 - 22:58

You can usually deduce the specs from the product code. On Newegg they're the same price, so why not go for the faster one (even if there's not much of a difference).

So, what is better? Obviously lower lag, but yeah..

If you want to shave off another few bucks, give this mobo some consideration:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131837

There's not exactly any advantages I can see besides price, but I personally like Asus above any other mobo company. I can't speak for the Gigabyte one, but this Asus one has a really nice UEFI (bios) layout and has a bunch of overclocking presets, which makes it extremely easy. I OC'd my i7 to over 4Ghz with no issues and also ran SLI with no issues. Easily the best mobo I've ever owned. Just a bit of personal experience for you. :)

I looked at that board as well (was one of the six), it lacked some spots I need such as the PCIe 3 slots (mine has 3, that one has 2). Who knows though man im going to look into the one you posted more, well more so keep it as an option (thanks).

And ive looked at the Asus' mobos and the prices isnt just enough for me to go get it. I honestly dont want to pay for the GB one, but it has the latest chipset and exactly what I need.it for.

#24 Red Mist

Red Mist

Neowinian

Posted 26 February 2013 - 23:26

Just throwing something in here, you say you don't want to overclock, so why the 'k' series cpu's, these cost more than the standard cpu's & are only worth the extra if you are going to overclock......just a thought.

#25 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

Posted 26 February 2013 - 23:50

the link in your first post is for CAS9 RAM. Usually the lower the better , but it doesn't really matter. It might make a small miniscule difference, but you'll only see that in benchmarks. In real world usage, there isn't a lick of a difference. I always buy whatever is cheapest,and I make sure its 1.5V,because the DDR3 spec calls for that,and that's how you know the RAM is good(unless its O/C'd like 2400). The ram you chose is perfectly suitable, one that I would've picked.

#26 NinjaGinger

NinjaGinger

Neowinian

Posted 27 February 2013 - 00:21

I have that board and you cannot go wrong, the onboard HDMI socket is disabled by default so you need to enter the BIOS to turn it on. I use it for my TV so I can watch the movies I have on my PC. It does not look at the TV as a TV but as a second monitor so you need to enable the board as a dual monitor not as a TV. Apart from that you should be fine.

#27 Luc2k

Luc2k

Neowinian

Posted 27 February 2013 - 00:37

If the price is the same I always go with the best, but you can get cheaper CL10 though like this. An additional point, 8GB might be sufficient and you can add more later if you need to.

#28 OP YounGMessiah

YounGMessiah

"individual magnets"

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:10

Just throwing something in here, you say you don't want to overclock, so why the 'k' series cpu's, these cost more than the standard cpu's & are only worth the extra if you are going to overclock......just a thought.

I think I said I will explore into overclocking at some point, if not sorry; that is the reason for the K, to have it unlocked and have the ability to overclock if I choose so. Remember im trying to build a computer that will last and have options :)

the link in your first post is for CAS9 RAM. Usually the lower the better , but it doesn't really matter. It might make a small miniscule difference, but you'll only see that in benchmarks. In real world usage, there isn't a lick of a difference. I always buy whatever is cheapest,and I make sure its 1.5V,because the DDR3 spec calls for that,and that's how you know the RAM is good(unless its O/C'd like 2400). The ram you chose is perfectly suitable, one that I would've picked.

Thats what I thought I personally wont see the difference, but yeah.. Okay I will just stick with a better deal set of RAM then.
And yes I was always taught not to go above 1.5V on RAM or even think about OCing it, but to each their own.

I have that board and you cannot go wrong, the onboard HDMI socket is disabled by default so you need to enter the BIOS to turn it on. I use it for my TV so I can watch the movies I have on my PC. It does not look at the TV as a TV but as a second monitor so you need to enable the board as a dual monitor not as a TV. Apart from that you should be fine.

Yay Im glad I found someone owning an item I wish to purchase, im glad your happy with it; thanks for that tip.

If the price is the same I always go with the best, but you can get cheaper CL10 though like this. An additional point, 8GB might be sufficient and you can add more later if you need to.

Thanks I will look into that one

#29 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 27 February 2013 - 19:30

I looked at that board as well (was one of the six), it lacked some spots I need such as the PCIe 3 slots (mine has 3, that one has 2). Who knows though man im going to look into the one you posted more, well more so keep it as an option (thanks).

And ive looked at the Asus' mobos and the prices isnt just enough for me to go get it. I honestly dont want to pay for the GB one, but it has the latest chipset and exactly what I need.it for.

Just so you know, nothing comes even close to saturating PCIe 2.0, muchless make good use of 3.0. I think somebody did a test with quad SLI GTX 680s, and I don't think that even saturated 3.0.
So overall, I wouldn't worry about having a bunch of 3.0 slots, since it's basically a gimmick. You won't even come close to making full use of 2.0.

#30 OP YounGMessiah

YounGMessiah

"individual magnets"

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:24

Well Ive made a very tough decision about my whole build. First of all im going to bump down my motherboard, same series or whatever you would say; I will get one that has less PCIe 3 slots like the one posted before.

The video card I decided to go with is the GeForce GTX 680 (link)
EVGA 04G-P4-2686-KR GeForce GTX 680 w/ Backplate 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Ive thought long, hard and figured this is a great investment.. I literally wont have to worry about a GPU or upgrading my desktop for a very long time!
Hell with that I wont have to SLI

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!