Building a desktop

I have that board and you cannot go wrong, the onboard HDMI socket is disabled by default so you need to enter the BIOS to turn it on. I use it for my TV so I can watch the movies I have on my PC. It does not look at the TV as a TV but as a second monitor so you need to enable the board as a dual monitor not as a TV. Apart from that you should be fine.

So, what is better? Obviously lower lag, but yeah..

If the price is the same I always go with the best, but you can get cheaper CL10 though like this. An additional point, 8GB might be sufficient and you can add more later if you need to.

Just throwing something in here, you say you don't want to overclock, so why the 'k' series cpu's, these cost more than the standard cpu's & are only worth the extra if you are going to overclock......just a thought.

I think I said I will explore into overclocking at some point, if not sorry; that is the reason for the K, to have it unlocked and have the ability to overclock if I choose so. Remember im trying to build a computer that will last and have options :)

the link in your first post is for CAS9 RAM. Usually the lower the better , but it doesn't really matter. It might make a small miniscule difference, but you'll only see that in benchmarks. In real world usage, there isn't a lick of a difference. I always buy whatever is cheapest,and I make sure its 1.5V,because the DDR3 spec calls for that,and that's how you know the RAM is good(unless its O/C'd like 2400). The ram you chose is perfectly suitable, one that I would've picked.

Thats what I thought I personally wont see the difference, but yeah.. Okay I will just stick with a better deal set of RAM then.

And yes I was always taught not to go above 1.5V on RAM or even think about OCing it, but to each their own.

I have that board and you cannot go wrong, the onboard HDMI socket is disabled by default so you need to enter the BIOS to turn it on. I use it for my TV so I can watch the movies I have on my PC. It does not look at the TV as a TV but as a second monitor so you need to enable the board as a dual monitor not as a TV. Apart from that you should be fine.

Yay Im glad I found someone owning an item I wish to purchase, im glad your happy with it; thanks for that tip.

If the price is the same I always go with the best, but you can get cheaper CL10 though like this. An additional point, 8GB might be sufficient and you can add more later if you need to.

Thanks I will look into that one

So, what is better? Obviously lower lag, but yeah..

I looked at that board as well (was one of the six), it lacked some spots I need such as the PCIe 3 slots (mine has 3, that one has 2). Who knows though man im going to look into the one you posted more, well more so keep it as an option (thanks).

And ive looked at the Asus' mobos and the prices isnt just enough for me to go get it. I honestly dont want to pay for the GB one, but it has the latest chipset and exactly what I need.it for.

Just so you know, nothing comes even close to saturating PCIe 2.0, muchless make good use of 3.0. I think somebody did a test with quad SLI GTX 680s, and I don't think that even saturated 3.0.

So overall, I wouldn't worry about having a bunch of 3.0 slots, since it's basically a gimmick. You won't even come close to making full use of 2.0.

Well Ive made a very tough decision about my whole build. First of all im going to bump down my motherboard, same series or whatever you would say; I will get one that has less PCIe 3 slots like the one posted before.

The video card I decided to go with is the GeForce GTX 680 (link)

EVGA 04G-P4-2686-KR GeForce GTX 680 w/ Backplate 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Ive thought long, hard and figured this is a great investment.. I literally wont have to worry about a GPU or upgrading my desktop for a very long time!

Hell with that I wont have to SLI

Im quite content with the EVGA 680 and ill be replacing my fans eventually and possibly looking into cooling.

Alright decided on the final build! Will be buying it within two weeks and it will be built.

CPU I decided to go with the:

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz BX80637I53570K - $189.99 @ Microcenter (Denver)

3570k-1-1280x1024.jpg

Motherboard I decided to go with the:

Asus P8Z77-V LK - $124.99 @ Microcenter (Denver)

P_500.jpg

GPU Im going for (after long thought):

EVGA 04G-P4-2686-KR NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4GB - 549.99 @ Microcenter (Denver)

E145-0687_chiclet01_aa_mn_3184513.jpg

Harddrive (I will eventually get SSD, but as you see Im going to be spending a lot)

Barracuda 2TB STBD2000101 - $99.99 @ Microcenter (Denver)

0383892_248674.jpg

Memory I decided to bump down to 8GB like how I been doing because its been more than suitable and its $50 cheaper roughly:

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10 - $51.99 @ Newegg

11598.jpg

Power Supply im not to sure yet, but getting at min. 650W, but aiming for 700 or 750 (saw some for a good deal at Microcenter):

$70 @ Microcenter (Denver)

Case is where I decided to really spoil myself I found this case and was quite amazed and fell in love:

CM Storm Stryker Full Tower - $179.99 @ Microcenter (Denver)

image_265.jpg

Well, personally - the case is to OTT for my tastes but i you like it go for it - I'd recommend dropping spec in graphics card and with the money saved get the SSD and bump that RAM back up to 16GB.

Dont need 16GB (its overkill for ANYONE for now) and I do FAR MORE CPU demanding stuff than most people, I work a lot in Electrical Engineering fields such as consulting and helping with designs (gets pretty hefty) such as PCB, OrCAD and other CADS. To me if I do more than just your average joe/gamer/coder with 8GB doing fine, then I would rather save that 50 or more bucks.

Well the problem is, if I get SSD I would want either 512mb or higher and right now the prices arent that low for them. If there was a deal, I would get them either way; just too expensive for the one I want.

The GPU im keeping as is because it will last and thats guaranteed and if things get more high demanding then I will SLi that girl.

I do admit you are right with the case, but there were features I didnt see anywhere. Plus its my first build figured I splurge to make it look nice :p

The hot swap 2.5 drive on the top front is what sold me and the tray on bottom.

Ram is so cheap.. who cares if it is overkill? Better to load up now until a few years past and his memory has tripped in price

I built my system on a budget, Iv got a 6core AMD fx (Which is cheaper and better spec than intel for the money!) and 8gb of ram, I also got a 2gb Geforce 610 and the bundle cost about 250 and the rest of the parts i allredy had... You can go on a budget and still get a good pc but for gaming, playing around and over clocking, I would recomend AMD over intel by far!!!

Well as you see throughout the whole post I am picky and sticking with Intel; if I were going to go with AMD dont you think I would have it listed or recommended?

As said above it is my final build and appreciate the input.

@+Fus10n

Very true lol only thing is I already ordered my memory and not cancelling :p maybe in like three months I will look for a deal.

Intel runs circles around AMD in terms of power consumption and performance. AMD tends to be cheaper, which I see as the only advantage.

Good choices on the motherboard and GPU. I also have a 680 and it's a beast of a card.

Regarding a power supply, the biggest thing I can recommend is to get one that's modular. It will make your life a hell of a lot easier when doing cable management. :)

Ram is so cheap.. who cares if it is overkill? Better to load up now until a few years past and his memory has tripped in price

By the time he needs that much, we'll be on DDR4 and he'll still have bought it for no reason.

Intel runs circles around AMD in terms of power consumption and performance. AMD tends to be cheaper, which I see as the only advantage.

Good choices on the motherboard and GPU. I also have a 680 and it's a beast of a card.

Regarding a power supply, the biggest thing I can recommend is to get one that's modular. It will make your life a hell of a lot easier when doing cable management. :)

I have always been an AMD guy, but with the current times im impressed more with Intel.

Thanks ive been waiting for someone to commnent on the 680, looks very promising!

And FINALLY someone brings up advice on power supplies! Ive been waiting for someone to say something and thanks ive been looking into modulars.

By the time he needs that much, we'll be on DDR4 and he'll still have bought it for no reason.

A great point there

Edit: @James Maple, also if I was trying to build a budget PC then I wouldnt be spending over 1200 USD ;)

Not really.. still, RAM is cheap as crap.. you can get 24gb next to nothing now.. why not just do it now and keep your computer a little longer? I guess I use my computer for more than others..

Well if the prices look promising in three months ill for sure get 16GB :), and im sure by then or a few more months the prices should drop.

Sorry, post was in a bit of a haste. Basically i7's advantage is very small, certainly not worth the price premium when it come to games. Any review will basically tell you this, but here's a quick comparison in any case. There's other things than HT going for the i7, but they don't make much difference, if any at all, for games.

As for the GPU, here's a round-up of the main 7970 cards in case you're curious.

+1 for the i5 3570k. Simply brilliant for any task you chuck at it.

Not really.. still, RAM is cheap as crap.. you can get 24gb next to nothing now.. why not just do it now and keep your computer a little longer? I guess I use my computer for more than others..

I doubt that you do - but that's not the point. The point is that if you're not going to make use of the RAM, there's no point in getting extra, regardless of how cheap it is.

I doubt that you do - but that's not the point. The point is that if you're not going to make use of the RAM, there's no point in getting extra, regardless of how cheap it is.

..lol you doubt I do.. Are you a wizard?

Yes, focus on that part of the statement because you can't argue the other?

Was merely stating that a lot of people do very intensive stuff with their computers these days.

Actually.. I can.. I always have about 4 VMs open at even given time.. i just think if you are building a computer, spend 40 bucks more and max out memory.. nothing really to argue about.. its an option..

Oh crap I forgot about Virtualizing, I like to use VirtualBox.

Second hand though my laptop will be freed up and thats what I been using for virtualization.

HMmmmm

Power Supplies

----------------

975W Gaming Fan Quiet ATX Power Supply SATA 12V - $64.59

Is this still part of your final config? I would look into getting a brand name PSU like Corsair, SeaSonic, or Antec. Seeing 975W for less than $100 seems like a red flag to me.