Building a desktop

Oh crap I forgot about Virtualizing, I like to use VirtualBox.

Second hand though my laptop will be freed up and thats what I been using for virtualization.

HMmmmm

Not sure the specs on your Laptop, but you can also load that thing up with ram an load up ESXi on it..

Is this still part of your final config? I would look into getting a brand name PSU like Corsair, SeaSonic, or Antec. Seeing 975W for less than $100 seems like a red flag to me.

No it is not part of my final build, I started reading up more on power supplies. Im aiming towards getting one when I go the store instead of deciding now.

I do have my eye on some brand quality ones though :).

Not sure the specs on your Laptop, but you can also load that thing up with ram an load up ESXi on it..

I have this: (pdf link)

Its maxed out with 8GB

Ah, didn't realize it was newer. I wouldn't be ESXi on it.. kinda of a waste.. but, you could run the newest version of VMWare Workstation on it and remote in.. I would recommend running linux as the host if you went that route

Ah, didn't realize it was newer. I wouldn't be ESXi on it.. kinda of a waste.. but, you could run the newest version of VMWare Workstation on it and remote in.. I would recommend running linux as the host if you went that route

Great idea! I was just thinking of using it for Windows 8 maybe as a media center.

Yes, focus on that part of the statement because you can't argue the other?

Was merely stating that a lot of people do very intensive stuff with their computers these days.

I have 64Gig of RAM, come at me bro! ;)

I have 64Gig of RAM, come at me bro! ;)

How much of that do you use on a regular basis?

Also has anyone had experience with these SSDs??

OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-240G (link) - Newegg without SandForce 2281 Controller $184.99 | Denver w/SandForce 2281 Controller $169.99

OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-120G (link) - Newegg $109.99 | Denver (refurbished) $89.99

Reviews seem good and the prices seem unbeatable.

lol, we can call them the memory police..

I'd rather be overstocked on available resources than understocked and needing/wanting more.

I mean the price difference between 8GB & 16GB is tiny, so why not front it - even if you rarely use the extra?

How much of that do you use on a regular basis?

Also has anyone had experience with these SSDs??

OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-240G (link) - Newegg without SandForce 2281 Controller $184.99 | Denver w/SandForce 2281 Controller $169.99

OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-120G (link) - Newegg $109.99 | Denver (refurbished) $89.99

Reviews seem good and the prices seem unbeatable.

The Agility is the "budget" line and doesn't have as high quality components as the regular Vertex SSDs.

It should be fine with the new firmware versions, but there were issues with the Sandforce controllers.

If you can find a Vertex 4 at a similar price, I'd go that route. And the 4 comes with a 5 year warranty, which is nice.

I personally don't have much faith in OCZ's SSDs, so I'll just post these as alternatives:

Crucial M4

SAMSUNG 840 Series

Plextor M5S Series

My old place of work used all OCZ SSDs in their laptops.. Had at least one fail a week..This is with a company with about 200 employees

I'd rather be overstocked on available resources than understocked and needing/wanting more.

I mean the price difference between 8GB & 16GB is tiny, so why not front it - even if you rarely use the extra?

Well as posted above, im leaning towards around July to find deals on 16GB or higher, but for now I will save the $50+ and utilize the 8GB.

I do have that philosophy well sort of, I fit it more to space :)

The Agility is the "budget" line and doesn't have as high quality components as the regular Vertex SSDs.

It should be fine with the new firmware versions, but there were issues with the Sandforce controllers.

If you can find a Vertex 4 at a similar price, I'd go that route. And the 4 comes with a 5 year warranty, which is nice.

Is budget line still as good? I understand there are different lines of stuff, such as going into CPUs. Just in your experience does the budget line and enthusiastic line have a huge difference in having to spend more than the other?

I can read about these SSDs all day and understand their components and what they do, just is it worth spending the extra for my usage??

I found the Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-128G - Newegg $129.99 | Denver w/ Indilinx Everest 2 Controller $129.99

Does that one have issues with the controller as the older?

I personally don't have much faith in OCZ's SSDs, so I'll just post these as alternatives:

Crucial M4

SAMSUNG 840 Series

Plextor M5S Series

Out of those the M4 catches my attention :)

Im looking at the 128GB of the M4

Edit: yeah ive been seeing more negative reports about OCZ

Have you already bought the motherboard?

You've bought an overclocking CPU but you didn't list the correct motherboard type. You need a z77 series, really, so you can overclock and have a BIOS that has a decent feature set to support the CPU.

For the GPU, look at GTX 670 or 7950/70s from ATi.

For an Intel CPU, unless you're looking at Pentium-G or lower, I'd find it difficult NOT to recommend Z77 for any LGA1155 CPU - too many features inherent to the chipset for not much cash.

The OP specifically stated SLI support - that means nVidia GPUs. There I recommend GTX650 Ti or GTX670.

Is budget line still as good? I understand there are different lines of stuff, such as going into CPUs. Just in your experience does the budget line and enthusiastic line have a huge difference in having to spend more than the other?

I can read about these SSDs all day and understand their components and what they do, just is it worth spending the extra for my usage??

I found the Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-128G - Newegg $129.99 | Denver w/ Indilinx Everest 2 Controller $129.99

Does that one have issues with the controller as the older?

The Vertex 4 uses the Indilinx controller, which is top notch. I have the 256GB and it's blazing fast. The Agility will have a bit less performance and the lifespan may not be as much. Not sure if it has the 5 year warranty either.

The Vertex 2 had a lot of problems with failures, but it was pretty much fixed with the Vertex/Agility 3 in the later firmwares. OCZ is the most popular SSD brand, so you'll tend to see more complaints from people because of that. I've had OCZ drives since the very first Vertex and I've never had a single failure. The Vertex 1 is still running strong in my netbook. :)

For any SSD, I'd recommend the Vertex 4 or Vector. For a more budget choice, the Crucial M4 is a really good one as well.

Sucks about how much I want to spend is only able to go towards a 128GB and by my calculations of programs used, I would be pushing it!

I think im going to hold off from a SSD till July as well.

Alright one last question regarding the stock cpu cooler.

From what Ive been studying regarding the i5s cooler, I should be good with that one especially if im not over clocking; I have even read on the stock you can get up to 4.0Ghz..

Now I was thinking of maybe just bumping it up to 3.7Ghz (when I build the computer) and getting a Hyper 212 Evo (for now) JUST in case I might not be pleased with the temperatures.. And if the temperatures are good and dont need the Hyper 212, then I will return it and for a long time not worry about over clocking it any higher.

I guess the question is what is yalls idea? Is my route sufficient?

Alright one last question regarding the stock cpu cooler.

From what Ive been studying regarding the i5s cooler, I should be good with that one especially if im not over clocking; I have even read on the stock you can get up to 4.0Ghz..

Now I was thinking of maybe just bumping it up to 3.7Ghz (when I build the computer) and getting a Hyper 212 Evo (for now) JUST in case I might not be pleased with the temperatures.. And if the temperatures are good and dont need the Hyper 212, then I will return it and for a long time not worry about over clocking it any higher.

I guess the question is what is yalls idea? Is my route sufficient?

i'd just do it right from the get-go and purchase a great cooler. that way, you wont regret it or have to replace the cooler in the future, and you'll have more room to overclock.

Well decided I will get the Hyper 212 Evo, PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III Series 600 Watt ATX Modular Power Supply and an extra fan (Enermax T.B.SILENCE 120mm Red LED Case Fan).

I will buy my build on Wednesday and it should be built! I would do it now, but im short $200 lol and I just used it to pay my utilities and internet..

I will buy my build on Wednesday and it should be built! I would do it now, but im short $200 lol and I just used it to pay my utilities and internet..

Sounds like you have money management issues.

lol I love how people make such ridicilous comments based on nothing.

But if you knew anything and knew that I had to HELP PAY for my AUNT'S FUNERAL then you would know that is why I was broke for the past three weeks.. 3K isnt nice and im sure you dont have at least 3k sitting around. Even tapping into that im still smart and save.

Management skills arent poor buddy or I wouldnt be close to being an EE and having my foot in the door with two major companies :)

Have a nice one

Personally I wouldn't bother with getting a heatsink. The stock one is fine even for minor overclocks. Even so, overclocking the CPU isn't going to give you earth-shattering improvements.

Also regarding the power supply, you could probably get something a little bit cheaper. Check out the Antec BP550 and the Corsair CX600M. The Antec one should definitely be cheaper, and the Corsair one will be similarly priced, but I'd recommend the Corsair over the PC Power one you chose. See what prices you can get for any of the modular Antec, Corsair, SeaSonic, or OCZ power supplies. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Maybe if you can save a little bit between those 2 components, you can use the savings towards an SSD. :)