Photo

Building a desktop

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#31 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 March 2013 - 16:21

Have you compared 680s to find which has the best coolers?

#32 OP YounGMessiah

YounGMessiah

"individual magnets"

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 01 March 2013 - 17:21

Im quite content with the EVGA 680 and ill be replacing my fans eventually and possibly looking into cooling.

#33 OP YounGMessiah

YounGMessiah

"individual magnets"

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:14

Alright decided on the final build! Will be buying it within two weeks and it will be built.

CPU I decided to go with the:
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz BX80637I53570K - $189.99 @ Microcenter (Denver)

Posted Image

Motherboard I decided to go with the:
Asus P8Z77-V LK - $124.99 @ Microcenter (Denver)

Posted Image

GPU Im going for (after long thought):
EVGA 04G-P4-2686-KR NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4GB - 549.99 @ Microcenter (Denver)

Posted Image

Harddrive (I will eventually get SSD, but as you see Im going to be spending a lot)
Barracuda 2TB STBD2000101 - $99.99 @ Microcenter (Denver)

Posted Image

Memory I decided to bump down to 8GB like how I been doing because its been more than suitable and its $50 cheaper roughly:
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10 - $51.99 @ Newegg

Posted Image

Power Supply im not to sure yet, but getting at min. 650W, but aiming for 700 or 750 (saw some for a good deal at Microcenter):
$70 @ Microcenter (Denver)

Case is where I decided to really spoil myself I found this case and was quite amazed and fell in love:
CM Storm Stryker Full Tower - $179.99 @ Microcenter (Denver)

Posted Image

#34 Kami-

Kami-

♫ d(-_-)b ♫

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:37

Well, personally - the case is to OTT for my tastes but i you like it go for it - I'd recommend dropping spec in graphics card and with the money saved get the SSD and bump that RAM back up to 16GB.

#35 OP YounGMessiah

YounGMessiah

"individual magnets"

Posted 04 March 2013 - 18:15

Dont need 16GB (its overkill for ANYONE for now) and I do FAR MORE CPU demanding stuff than most people, I work a lot in Electrical Engineering fields such as consulting and helping with designs (gets pretty hefty) such as PCB, OrCAD and other CADS. To me if I do more than just your average joe/gamer/coder with 8GB doing fine, then I would rather save that 50 or more bucks.

Well the problem is, if I get SSD I would want either 512mb or higher and right now the prices arent that low for them. If there was a deal, I would get them either way; just too expensive for the one I want.

The GPU im keeping as is because it will last and thats guaranteed and if things get more high demanding then I will SLi that girl.

I do admit you are right with the case, but there were features I didnt see anywhere. Plus its my first build figured I splurge to make it look nice :p
The hot swap 2.5 drive on the top front is what sold me and the tray on bottom.

#36 +fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 04 March 2013 - 18:29

Ram is so cheap.. who cares if it is overkill? Better to load up now until a few years past and his memory has tripped in price

#37 James Maple

James Maple

Neowinian

Posted 04 March 2013 - 18:35

I built my system on a budget, Iv got a 6core AMD fx (Which is cheaper and better spec than intel for the money!) and 8gb of ram, I also got a 2gb Geforce 610 and the bundle cost about 250 and the rest of the parts i allredy had... You can go on a budget and still get a good pc but for gaming, playing around and over clocking, I would recomend AMD over intel by far!!!

#38 OP YounGMessiah

YounGMessiah

"individual magnets"

Posted 04 March 2013 - 18:42

Well as you see throughout the whole post I am picky and sticking with Intel; if I were going to go with AMD dont you think I would have it listed or recommended?

As said above it is my final build and appreciate the input.

@+Fus10n
Very true lol only thing is I already ordered my memory and not cancelling :p maybe in like three months I will look for a deal.

#39 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 04 March 2013 - 19:23

Intel runs circles around AMD in terms of power consumption and performance. AMD tends to be cheaper, which I see as the only advantage.

Good choices on the motherboard and GPU. I also have a 680 and it's a beast of a card.

Regarding a power supply, the biggest thing I can recommend is to get one that's modular. It will make your life a hell of a lot easier when doing cable management. :)

#40 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 March 2013 - 19:48

Ram is so cheap.. who cares if it is overkill? Better to load up now until a few years past and his memory has tripped in price

By the time he needs that much, we'll be on DDR4 and he'll still have bought it for no reason.

#41 OP YounGMessiah

YounGMessiah

"individual magnets"

Posted 04 March 2013 - 20:01

Intel runs circles around AMD in terms of power consumption and performance. AMD tends to be cheaper, which I see as the only advantage.

Good choices on the motherboard and GPU. I also have a 680 and it's a beast of a card.

Regarding a power supply, the biggest thing I can recommend is to get one that's modular. It will make your life a hell of a lot easier when doing cable management. :)

I have always been an AMD guy, but with the current times im impressed more with Intel.
Thanks ive been waiting for someone to commnent on the 680, looks very promising!

And FINALLY someone brings up advice on power supplies! Ive been waiting for someone to say something and thanks ive been looking into modulars.

By the time he needs that much, we'll be on DDR4 and he'll still have bought it for no reason.

A great point there

Edit: @James Maple, also if I was trying to build a budget PC then I wouldnt be spending over 1200 USD ;)

#42 +fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 04 March 2013 - 20:59

Not really.. still, RAM is cheap as crap.. you can get 24gb next to nothing now.. why not just do it now and keep your computer a little longer? I guess I use my computer for more than others..

#43 OP YounGMessiah

YounGMessiah

"individual magnets"

Posted 04 March 2013 - 21:02

Well if the prices look promising in three months ill for sure get 16GB :), and im sure by then or a few more months the prices should drop.

#44 matt4444

matt4444

Neowinian

Posted 04 March 2013 - 21:09

Sorry, post was in a bit of a haste. Basically i7's advantage is very small, certainly not worth the price premium when it come to games. Any review will basically tell you this, but here's a quick comparison in any case. There's other things than HT going for the i7, but they don't make much difference, if any at all, for games.

As for the GPU, here's a round-up of the main 7970 cards in case you're curious.

+1 for the i5 3570k. Simply brilliant for any task you chuck at it.

#45 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 March 2013 - 21:56

Not really.. still, RAM is cheap as crap.. you can get 24gb next to nothing now.. why not just do it now and keep your computer a little longer? I guess I use my computer for more than others..

I doubt that you do - but that's not the point. The point is that if you're not going to make use of the RAM, there's no point in getting extra, regardless of how cheap it is.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!