Man buys gun holster ...

An Indiana man was at Bill Goodman's Gun And Knife Show in Dayton Saturday and decided to purchase a holster for his handgun. The 50-year-old, a conceal carry permit holder, proudly took his new holster out to the parking lot, got in his car, and went to holster his gun...

And promptly shot himself. :|

The Indiana man was rushed to a nearby hospital, where sources say the bullet fatally wounded a finger on his left hand. They will not be able to reattach the finger.

Local police say they will not file any charges. The man was not identified, for obvious reasons.

source

An Indiana man was at Bill Goodman's Gun And Knife Show in Dayton Saturday and decided to purchase a holster for his handgun. The 50-year-old, a conceal carry permit holder, proudly took his new holster out to the parking lot, got in his car, and went to holster his gun...

And promptly shot himself. :|

The Indiana man was rushed to a nearby hospital, where sources say the bullet fatally wounded a finger on his left hand. They will not be able to reattach the finger.

Local police say they will not file any charges. The man was not identified, for obvious reasons.

source

And you wonder how many more idiots like this goes unreported.

2 things wondering what kind of holster and he should have had the safety on. I am assuming its a hard case holster.

I am curious what pistol it was. However not all pistols have a safety. None of mine do. If he was trying to figure out if it fit, then he should have unloaded it, and then did it. Or if he did that already and was putting it back in, then he shouldn't have had his finger on the trigger or anywhere near the trigger/ trigger guard.

I am curious what pistol it was. However not all pistols have a safety. None of mine do. If he was trying to figure out if it fit, then he should have unloaded it, and then did it. Or if he did that already and was putting it back in, then he shouldn't have had his finger on the trigger or anywhere near the trigger/ trigger guard.

My .40 S&W doesn't have a safety but it has a heavy trigger. U remember there being a recall a couple years ago on a certainodel police holster what would happen was the plastic strap would slip down and into the trigger guard causing a discharge. I remember hearing a couple of cops being wounded by it. They made a recall and by that I mean you switched the plastic strap for a cloth one after you payes for it.

2 things wondering what kind of holster and he should have had the safety on. I am assuming its a hard case holster.

There are plenty of firearms that have no safety, the safety lies in a double action trigger and a long trigger pull.

My firearm has no safety, but I'd be hard-pressed to let it go off inadvertently as it is rates at 6 pounds trigger pull. I'd be willing to bet this guy had a hair trigger single-action pistol.

There is a picture on the Blog that shows a pistol with a safety, but I doubt that is the weapon this guy used.

There are plenty of firearms that have no safety, the safety lies in a double action trigger.

My firearm has no safety, but I'd be hard-pressed to let it go off inadvertently as it is rates at 6 pounds. I'd be willing to bet this guy had a hair trigger single-action pistol.

Most revolvers do not have a safety, like you said double action. My .357 does not have one.

My SIG Sauer P250sc has no safety being a double action automatic, but as others have said the pull is relatively heavy at 6+ pounds and that trigger has to move almost all the way back to fire - a long travel.

Double actions are not carried cocked (the firing pin or hammer under spring tension) as the long trigger pull does that when you go to shoot. Many such firearms also have an interlock that prevents the firing pin from moving until the trigger is all rhe way back to the release point. You could smack the thing with a hammer and it wouldn't go off. A built-in safety without a lever.

My guess is that this guy had a single action automatic and carried it cocked. In that state. If the safety lever is accidentally released the trigger then needs little pressure to release - IMO an accident looking for a place to happen.

I'll never forget reading the little manual that came with a S&W .357 magnum:

An experienced gun handler always checks the chamber to see if it is loaded.

Earlier model Glocks had a problem with accidental discharge, to the point where Detroit area PD officers started referring to the injury as "Glock Leg," a term still in common use in this area.

Hum,

With automatics carrying one in the chamber isn't unusual, it's pretty much normal for cops and concealed defensive carry as you may not have time to cycle the slide to load a round.

The question is if the firearm has the necessary passive safety interlocks and if it has a double action trigger for that first shot. Double action only (DAO) pistols obviously do, Many single action pistols also have double action for the first shot and single action thereafter (DA/SA).

IMO only these automatic actions should be used for concealed carry, and indeed many police departments and some federal agencies require them - many going DAO only.

For revolvers the proper technique is an empty chamber under the hammer, or a revolver with a between the chambers rest position - something that's been around since at least the Remington New Model Army of 1858 (I have one.)

Turkish: F**k me, hold tight. What's that?

Tommy: It's me belt, Turkish.

Turkish: No, Tommy. There's a gun in your trousers. What's a gun doing in your trousers?

Tommy: It's for protection.

Turkish: Protection from what? Zee Germans? What's to stop it from blowing your b******s off every time you sit down?