Photo

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 DaDude

DaDude

Neowinian

Posted 25 February 2013 - 19:09

My dad works in Networking and with his skills, he was able to see that someone is hacked into his home computer. He uses McAfee Total Protection and has been using it for many years, so he doesn't understand how this hacker was able to bypass the software's proection. He's done a whole computer scan and the McAfee will not find anything wrong. He even went as far as downloading some free anti-virus softwares such as AVG, but those didn't find anything either.

I told my dad that he should just reformat the computer, but he said he can't because not only does he not have the CD backups for his OS, softwares and drivers, but the McAfee is a downloaded copy that he renews every year, so he can't reinstall it once it's gone from the reformat. So, he's stuck with this virus.

Is there anything my dad can do? He's on the verge of just throwing his computer out the window in frustration. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

#2 SierraSonic

SierraSonic

SierraSonic

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 25 February 2013 - 19:14

Reformat to remove stubborn stuff...

Or try to figure out which process is running from msconfig...

What exactly is the computer doing? Can it still work as a computer or are you being blocked from features?

#3 perochan

perochan

♫ d(-_-)b ♫

Posted 25 February 2013 - 19:14

can't he find that hacker's IP and block it or something?

#4 OP DaDude

DaDude

Neowinian

Posted 25 February 2013 - 19:17

Reformat to remove stubborn stuff...

Or try to figure out which process is running from msconfig...

What exactly is the computer doing? Can it still work as a computer or are you being blocked from features?

I don't think you read the entire post. He can't reformat because he threw out his OS, software and driver CDs. And his McAfee software does not have a CD backup since he downloaded it.

The computer can still work, but whoever is hacked in can probably see everything he's doing, including confidential stuff.

#5 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 25 February 2013 - 19:20

My dad works in Networking and with his skills, he was able to see that someone is hacked into his home computer. He uses McAfee Total Protection and has been using it for many years, so he doesn't understand how this hacker was able to bypass the software's proection. He's done a whole computer scan and the McAfee will not find anything wrong. He even went as far as downloading some free anti-virus softwares such as AVG, but those didn't find anything either.

... umm...

in any case, with his skills your father should know that he only needs the key for the McAffee license, maybe not even that if he has an account with them and he can just re-download and reinstall it. WHY he would want to reinstall McAffee after getting rid of it however is a complete mystery to me.

but yeah, we need more info on what is actually happening. also a Virus and a direct hacker attack are two completely different things, an AV protects against one, unless it's a crapy one like say McAffee. a directed hacker attack however can be hard to defend against if he really wants in. though you can make it hard for him. this is generally the domain of the firewall though.

#6 Snake89

Snake89

Neowinian

Posted 25 February 2013 - 19:22

Just run in safe mode, then run your AV. It's the best way to get rid it.

If that AV doesn't run in Safe mode. He could just use safe mode with networking to run one of the free online AV scans. Or he can just manually remove it from safe mode.

#7 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 25 February 2013 - 19:23

1. Remove McAfee - why, if he's infected it doesn't work right?
2. Boot in safe mode > Disable everything in MSCONFIG, reset IE, Empty all windows and user temp folders, check registry for run entries of malware
2b. Boot in normal mode > Scan with Malwarebytes, Spybot, Hijack This, Avast Free Boot Time Scan
3. Kaspersky Rescue Disk to hunt for Rootkits
4. Other rootkit detection apps
5. Install a decent AV - NOD32, BitDefender, Comodo FW if necessary to prompt for every connection request before allowing them
6. Check how the hacker got past the firewalls in the router/AP/Windows
7. Scan all USB sticks on a different machine, preferably running Linux so not to infect them too

What exactly makes him think he is infected? What can he see to convince him of that ?

#8 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 106
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 19:24

"My dad works in Networking and with his skills, he was able to see that someone is hacked into his home computer"

And this info is what? If his choice of antivirus is not showing something - how does he know he is infected. If we can determine what he is infected with, then we can show him how to clean it.

So he works in IT? And can not get a copy of the OS, drivers can always be gotten from the NET.. As to reinstalling Mcafee - if he has a license, he can download it again. But since he thinks it didn't protect him from whatever he thinks he is infected with - maybe it is time to reevaluate that choice of software anyway.

#9 icuhackn

icuhackn

NeoHackn

Posted 25 February 2013 - 19:27

Try malwarebytes first. I have removed some stubborn things with that before. You can use the free version or buy the pro version.

#10 OP DaDude

DaDude

Neowinian

Posted 25 February 2013 - 19:30

... umm...

in any case, with his skills your father should know that he only needs the key for the McAffee license, maybe not even that if he has an account with them and he can just re-download and reinstall it. WHY he would want to reinstall McAffee after getting rid of it however is a complete mystery to me.

but yeah, we need more info on what is actually happening. also a Virus and a direct hacker attack are two completely different things, an AV protects against one, unless it's a crapy one like say McAffee. a directed hacker attack however can be hard to defend against if he really wants in. though you can make it hard for him. this is generally the domain of the firewall though.

Yes, it's McAfee Total Proection, which includes everything including Firewall. So, I don't know how he got hacked. My dad needs to reinstall it because once you reformat, all softwares get lost. He paid for it so he needs to use it until his yearly renewal expires, which is not until November 2013. I don't think he has the key. Like I said, he doesn't save stuff... not even his backup CDs for his software. But I'll ask him when I see him tonight. While I'm at it, I'll ask him for more details on what is actually happening.

And this info is what? If his choice of antivirus is not showing something - how does he know he is infected. If we can determine what he is infected with, then we can show him how to clean it.

He knows of some kind of trick to see that kind of stuff. Not sure how. He didn't want to share it with me.

#11 +mkol

mkol

mkol

• Phone: Google Nexus 5 32gb

Posted 25 February 2013 - 19:30

I had to reformat mine yesterday. I had a Java based virus via cookie and boy it just went through Norton Internet Security. It wasan't going away and at the end I had to reformat.

#12 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 25 February 2013 - 19:32

:laugh: Norton & McAfee both letting malware through and still people use them :laugh:

#13 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 25 February 2013 - 19:33

if he is such a networking whiz, he would know how to sniff his network traffic and monitor running processes to determine which process is funelling all his data over.

#14 ShareShiz

ShareShiz

Neowinian

Posted 25 February 2013 - 19:34

Virus Removal Tools

Kaspersky Rescue Disk

#15 _dandy_

_dandy_

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 February 2013 - 19:36

My dad works in Networking and with his skills,
[...]
He uses McAfee Total Protection
[...]
AVG
[...]
he not have the CD backups for his OS

I'm with everybody else here...that's a strange combination right there.