How to export list of shares, users and quota

Hello,

I have been searching online but haven't been able to find the precise answer I am looking for.

I have a server setup on a Windows server 2003R2. Initially we weren't sure what we were going to do with it but made it a file server.

There are 100s of groups that access has been delegated to some 4000 users.

Is there a "best way" to create a list of the shares, users and quotas for all of them?

Thanks!

norseman

Are you talking about shares, or what ntfs permissions have been set on folders/files that are shared or under the shares.

Shares mainly. We will be migrating the folders where the NTFS permissions should carry over just fine.

We used Windows Server 2003 Standard and not the file services version... I think there is a more robust version which has this all documented.

I can export the share list, that is not a problem. Ann all in one that would also include the list of users and quota for each share would make things a lot easier and save me a few weeks time.

I've done this so far: <c:\>net share > c:\shares.txt

That gives me some of the details, not exactly what I want but what can ya do! :p

In a normal work setup, normally share permissions are just set to everyone and you limit via ntfs permissions. So not sure what a users list on shares is going to get you?

As to quotas - there lots of different ways to set that.. Did you set by user?

Here is a good tool for dumping access permissions, this might help you.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897332

And here is a tool that you could use to check what permissions are set on your shares - but like I said normally that is just everyone full control and then lock down with ntfs

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897442