Windows Phone now has 130K+ apps

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 27 February 2013 - 19:07

Still no facebook app, yes, people want that. No meaningful fitness apps. No syncing/media management app (not a phone app). No US Bank, No US IngDirect. So what's the point of the 130k.

MS needs to stop spouting app numbers, and get the 10-20 apps the platform needs! I'm tellin' ya, if MS doesn't get it's app act together fast for Surface RT and WP8, all these cheap android devices that are proliferating are going to leave them permanently in the dust. I feel the Window of opportunity for serious challenge is closing quickly because MS has dropped the ball across the 8 board with lack of the right apps.

Edit: IMO, the tablet war is over. MS will not make significant inroads in the consumer space there. Android then iPad, and that's basically it. They dropped the ball with no middleware (Zune8/iTunes) and lack of killer apps. I'd like to be wrong, but I doubut it. Android tabs everywhere and they are actually fast.

I know you like to complain about WP but this app gap that you're objecting to is being filled for many of us. My bank just released its WP app and its great. I now have all the apps I need and while I might not represent everyone I'm an example of someone who is more than satisfied with the state of the WP Store.

Your Zune complaints are also getting boring. There's no need for a Zune client with WP8 as there are plenty of other ways to get music on to my phone.

#17 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 27 February 2013 - 22:21

I know you like to complain about WP but this app gap that you're objecting to is being filled for many of us. My bank just released its WP app and its great. I now have all the apps I need and while I might not represent everyone I'm an example of someone who is more than satisfied with the state of the WP Store.

Your Zune complaints are also getting boring. There's no need for a Zune client with WP8 as there are plenty of other ways to get music on to my phone.

Actually I don't complain about Windows 8 much. You having your bank app means nothing to those who don't. I'm sure those at the one or two banks that have apps are happy. But many banks, including the major banks that I mentioned, that have apps on every other platform do not.

It's not boring enough for you to not comment. Regarding Zune, many people aren't interested in kludging around hunting for apps to do basic core functionality that has been removed from the 8 line of products. It's supposed to be a well integrated cutting edge piece of hardware from Microsoft. That's part of the reason it isn't having great consumer success. And I will complain about that until it's rectified. Feel free to ignore me or my comments and fall in love with kludging around. In the meantime, whatever bank you're at that has an app, I suggest you don't change if you're sticking with Windows 8.

So basically, your response to my very specific "complaints" was, you're tired of hearing it, your bank has an app so it's not an issue, and lastly, kludge around for a media/playlist management solution, cuz you can. I can also tie two cans together with a string instead of using a cell phone too you know.

So unless you can address people's "complaints" with meaningful solutions, why don't you refrain from commenting?

#18 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 February 2013 - 00:49

It seems Windows app market is growing by leaps and bounds. They are not but 600,000 apps behind iOS and Android.

#19 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:01

It seems Windows app market is growing by leaps and bounds. They are not but 600,000 apps behind iOS and Android.

In all fairness, 600k of crApps isn't a whole lot better than 130k of crApps. I'd have to say though, you have a better chance of having the apps more people need the more you have. The fitness app I want/need is on Android and iPhone/Pad though it started on Windows Mobile :/ All my banking apps are on the other platforms. But I have to say, though other than games I only use a few, properly made WP8 apps are better IMO. That doesn't mean much if the apps you want aren't there, but the potential is. A well made facebook app for WP8 would blow the others away. Toast notifications, desktop lock screen notifications, SkyDrive sync, etc. etc. I have one app that takes advantage of all this, Trackage by ITECTURE. It's the only one, but it's awesome.

#20 Zinomian

Zinomian

Neowinian

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:11

Actually, as a consumer who wants to change from an iPhone4 to a WP8, missing some apps the ONLY reason as to why I yet to make the jump. Some of you say that not having your bank app is no big deal, well, for many consumers it is, since it is how you bank now days (deposits, transfers, etc).

There are also some more commercial apps that are not available yet, such as VOIP apps for some main stream systems, etc.

While I am hopeful that the WP8 app system grows, because of my own disconnect with apple, as a consumer, i will continue to give my money not just to the better device but also to the better store, until then....iphone4 it is.

#21 ]SK[

]SK[

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:10

Just to echo Zinomian. I too as an iPhone 4S user made the mistake of moving from an iPhone 4 to a HTC Desire. The app selection on Android was poor, so much so I sold the phone mid-contract and purchased full price a new 4S from Apple. It was a huge relief. Android has changed since then but its left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. WP looks good but the select of apps very much matter. I made the mistake once and don't plan on making it again.

Microsoft should offer some sort of deal, such as 100% revenue for the first 3 months of an app release for a limited time, to get developers interested in publishing their apps for the WP Store.

#22 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:14

Except WP already has the most developers developing actively for it.

and the apps you guys are missing are generally free apps that don't generate any revenue to MS or the developer, sch as bank apps. though personally I prefer a good mobile web bank.

#23 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 28 February 2013 - 14:56

I'm pretty sure there's a Facebook app as well as a chase bank app out for WP.

https://www.chase.co...ing/windows-app

Chase has been there for some time now. I have it installed on my phone in addition to Bank of America(official), ETrade(Official), LevelUp(Official). I personally don't trust my phone to keep my banking information saved there (not even user names) but if I did, I still don't have apps from biggies such as American Express. As it stands, I don't use any financial app but I might be abnormal because I don't use many apps as such. I have used my BoA app the most and mostly to find ATMs but have used it exactly once to deposit a check (for curiosity's sake).

I don't care much about the Facebook app, none of their apps fully replace the actual site (not even the iPad one) and at that point even current 7.8 app is not that bad (it is arguably the worst compared to iOS/Android ones).

#24 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 28 February 2013 - 15:01

The banking "apps" over here only allow you to move money between your own accounts and see your own accounts. th next version will allow my GF to move money to one of my accounts which she has full access to, that's all you can do in the app.

if you want to actually pay bills or such, then you need to use the mobile bank webpage, that requires you Personal number to log in, plus your password/pin which is unique for the web bank page, and a one time SMS pin code.

#25 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:36

Just to echo Zinomian. I too as an iPhone 4S user made the mistake of moving from an iPhone 4 to a HTC Desire. The app selection on Android was poor, so much so I sold the phone mid-contract and purchased full price a new 4S from Apple. It was a huge relief. Android has changed since then but its left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. WP looks good but the select of apps very much matter. I made the mistake once and don't plan on making it again.

Microsoft should offer some sort of deal, such as 100% revenue for the first 3 months of an app release for a limited time, to get developers interested in publishing their apps for the WP Store.

You can browse the Windows Phone store here: http://www.windowsph...com/en-gb/store

Try searching for apps you use a lot. I upgraded from a BlackBerry Curve and all the apps I used were available except for BlackBerry Messenger which is exclusive to BlackBerry smartphones.

#26 XerXis

XerXis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:53

Still no facebook app, yes, people want that. No meaningful fitness apps. No syncing/media management app (not a phone app). No US Bank, No US IngDirect. So what's the point of the 130k.

MS needs to stop spouting app numbers, and get the 10-20 apps the platform needs! I'm tellin' ya, if MS doesn't get it's app act together fast for Surface RT and WP8, all these cheap android devices that are proliferating are going to leave them permanently in the dust. I feel the Window of opportunity for serious challenge is closing quickly because MS has dropped the ball across the 8 board with lack of the right apps.

Edit: IMO, the tablet war is over. MS will not make significant inroads in the consumer space there. Android then iPad, and that's basically it. They dropped the ball with no middleware (Zune8/iTunes) and lack of killer apps. I'd like to be wrong, but I doubut it. Android tabs everywhere and they are actually fast.

The browser wars were once over too. IPhone was once the king of the smartphones, the IPad was once the only choice. Markets change constantly, it's never over or too late.

#27 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:40

I'm pretty sure there's a Facebook app as well as a chase bank app out for WP.

https://www.chase.co...ing/windows-app

There's no official facebook app nor a MS one. I personally don't like giving l/p to third party apps for a service of that nature. There's Chase, and Bank of America.

There are many more banks that are not there, including my other 2 (I do use BoA) which both have apps for iPhone and Android and facebook has a first party app for both platforms as well. You can't be the platform where you have to settle for less or use a browser (slow, tiresome, and browsing on a phone is for emergencies only for some people like me.)

#28 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:50

There's no official facebook app nor a MS one. I personally don't like giving l/p to third party apps for a service of that nature. There's Chase, and Bank of America.

There are many more banks that are not there, including my other 2 (I do use BoA) which both have apps for iPhone and Android and facebook has a first party app for both platforms as well. You can't be the platform where you have to settle for less or use a browser (slow, tiresome, and browsing on a phone is for emergencies only for some people like me.)

The Facebook app I have on my phone right now is from MS. I'd say it's as official as it gets unless Facebook writes it's own.

#29 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:56

You can browse the Windows Phone store here: http://www.windowsph...com/en-gb/store

Try searching for apps you use a lot. I upgraded from a BlackBerry Curve and all the apps I used were available except for BlackBerry Messenger which is exclusive to BlackBerry smartphones.

So you are saying this is your first smartphone? :p

Uh...there is an official facebook app for Windows Phone. It is published by Microsoft.

#30 ingramator

ingramator

Hacker

• Phone: Lumia 920, iPhone 5, GS3

Posted 05 March 2013 - 13:08

Are you for real? You are complaining that there are no first party apps and that is somehow Microsoft and their hardware partners fault how? Cool iPhone and Android have the app you want, that wouldn't be true three years ago. Devs will only support a platform they think is worth developing for, which gives you the what comes first scenario, apps or users? Early adopters of a platform always have to suffer "limited" app support, get over it, was the same with iOS and Android... The Microsoft Facebook app works perfectly and the people hub pretty much destroys everything on competing platforms. If Facebook wants to write their own WP app then let them, after all they are a multi-billion dollar company but that is by no means any reflection of Windows Phone.