33 posts in this topic

Posted

I don't like how all the high end sports cars are going with screens for the speedo and tach.

Posted

[quote name='Gabe3' timestamp='1361905826' post='595545480']
I don't like how all the high end sports cars are going with screens for the speedo and tach.
[/quote]

Might be due to the fact that the RPM sweep can't keep up and report on actual, near instantaneous numbers compared to a digital display. Thats what the LFA team cited for the reason on their car.

Posted

[quote name='linsook' timestamp='1361907318' post='595545520']
Might be due to the fact that the RPM sweep can't keep up and report on actual, near instantaneous numbers compared to a digital display. Thats what the LFA team cited for the reason on their car.
[/quote]
oh, i see. cant a analog gauge get a little motor or something so it could keep up?

Posted

[quote name='Gabe3' timestamp='1361907595' post='595545530']
oh, i see. cant a analog gauge get a little motor or something so it could keep up?
[/quote]

No idea, but I don't think so.

Posted

[quote name='HawkMan' timestamp='1361905138' post='595545450']
Most super cars are not comfortable ride,s no matter how many luxuries they have, NO supercar that's built as a trackday car is a comfy ride, they're built to be stiff and rigid.
[/quote]

The MP4-12C has an excellent ride according to multiple reviews. I'm assuming that the P1 has active suspension featuring dampers all tied together through a hydraulic system just like the 12C. No saying that the P1 might be the same but McLaren have proven that you don't need to have a rubbish/firm ride to have a well handling car.

MP4-12C Suspension: [url="http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track-tests/2012-mclaren-mp4-12c-suspension-walkaround.html"]http://www.edmunds.c...walkaround.html[/url]

Chris Harris on MP4-12C: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mKB-8WUB5k
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='HawkMan' timestamp='1361902834' post='595545362']
I'll bet this car was tested on the N

Posted

[quote name='HawkMan' timestamp='1361905138' post='595545450']
Most super cars are not comfortable ride,s no matter how many luxuries they have, NO supercar that's built as a trackday car is a comfy ride, they're built to be stiff and rigid.
[/quote]

This is not necessarily true these days. Supercars have been getting easier and easier to live with. The F430 I drove the other day was entirely civilised (until you put your foot down). The ride is firm, but is far from being in back breaking territory. It's firm in a competent fashion, in a way that inspires confidence. I haven't driven the newer 458, but my friend says that the ride is even more comfortable. In any case, you can put these cars in different modes depending on the situation. You're on a track? Put it in Race mode and it'll firm up the suspension and shift faster. Cruising downtown? There's a mode for that.

You also have to remember that these cars are very light. If you want to make a land boat feel button-downed at high speed, yes, you are likely going to end up with a harsh suspension. But do the same for a light car and the suspension can be more compliant. Lotus cars always receive high praise for their suspension setups. It's no coincidence since their philosophy is "simply, then add lightness".

It's silly to dismiss the P1's ride since no one has driven one yet. Also, if it's being built as a car that you can take from the factory to the track, then you should be able to tune the suspension to your taste.

Posted

does it blend?