PS4 games to start at $99?

Not sure if this is "guess" pricing but one of the 1st pre-orders is the Watch Dogs from Ubisoft.

However, Amazon has pre-order as $99.99 (Ps4 edition)

This doesn't even look like a special / collector's edition.

I wonder if this is the new price point that publishers are going to attempt next generation.

It's showing $60 for the other console's.

(Edit) Link for proof - http://www.amazon.co...ref=pd_sim_vg_1

Please note that the current price on Watch Dogs for PlayStation 4 is a placeholder price until we receive more information from our first party and third party partners.

That is from the page you linked to so no, it will not be 99.99.

Well if they are going to charge that kind of money for a single game, I see the PS4 going down the drain. No one in the right state of mind is going to pay that kind of money for a game.

Games shouldn't even be close to what they are now which is why I don't game much anymore.

Movies that cost 200 hundred million to make are $20 and even if you throw in the theater price it's $30 but video games that cost maybe 5 million to make are $70?

• Like 2

I checked ebgames, and realized those prices were in australia which makes sense, however this is seperate case (could be a typo that'll get corrected later when its ready to sell)

Sony has already answered this question.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/02/25/no-price-hike-for-playstation-4-games-says-sony-america-3512761/

Sony America boss Jack Tretton has said that games for the PlayStation 4 will not see a price increase and will still cost $0.99 to $60.
  • Like 4

Games shouldn't even be close to what they are now which is why I don't game much anymore.

Movies that cost 200 hundred million to make are $20 and even if you throw in the theater price it's $30 but video games that cost maybe 5 million to make are $70? Something is very wrong there.

Exactly, and you don't hear the movie industry complaining about used dvd/bluray sales either, and disc versions are 20/30 dollars.

In the past they could make the argument that the market isn't as big for video games, so they have to charge more and restrict resale, but that's not true at all now

Price for games should be going down, but that's not how the market works anymore, it'll get to a point where something will snap.

you are lucky to live ouside Brazil.. here games costs like 60, 70, 80, even 90 or more USD if they are new (like just released).. some old titles can be found at 30 usd

I remember when Shadows of the Empire came out on N64 in the USA and it was $79.95... and I thought that was outrageous and was the highest priced game I ever saw at time time

wasn't the original Zelda game like $60 when if first came out too?

i'm pretty sure i read that somewhere. either way though, that shows prices for games really haven't changed all that much. and i doubt any radical changes will happen this generation either

Movies that cost 200 hundred million to make are $20 and even if you throw in the theater price it's $30 but video games that cost maybe 5 million to make are $70?

BS. If you buy a DVD movie, after you watch it, it goes on your shelf and maybe you'll watch it again in a few years, and a lot of times, never again.

When you buy call of duty,how many times do you play it? online? it has massive replay value. its worth the price.

and theres also something called supply and demand. comparing video game prices to movie prices is absurd.

Exactly, and you don't hear the movie industry complaining about used dvd/bluray sales either, and disc versions are 20/30 dollars.

In the past they could make the argument that the market isn't as big for video games, so they have to charge more and restrict resale, but that's not true at all now

Price for games should be going down, but that's not how the market works anymore, it'll get to a point where something will snap.

if anything,game prices should be going up soon. games are getting more complex to make.

video games today cost as much as a movie to make, Also a movie is shown millions and millions of times in movie theaters, and then it's rented an sold to hundreds of millions.

a game is a top seller if it passes 2 million. 5 million then you have a real super seller on your hands.

you can't compare movie and game prices. on top of that, a movie is 2 hours of entertainment, even short games are at least 3 times that, usually plus multiplayer.

i'm pretty sure i read that somewhere. either way though, that shows prices for games really haven't changed all that much. and i doubt any radical changes will happen this generation either

NES and SNES games cost as much and often more than games today do. HOWEVER. counting inflation, a 60 dollar game back 20 years ago, was a LOT more expensive than a 60 dollar game today. and back then you didn't have big chains giving you release date rebates on the first week, or bargain bins after a couple of months.

Is this is true and games START at $99, I won't be buying a PS4 unless the games are motion picture quality graphics, which they are not. Hopefully MS has more sense.

But in order to know that people would have to read through more than the first post before commenting. :/

so people can't read 2 posts down now?

because the $99 price is debunked in post 3

I remember when Shadows of the Empire came out on N64 in the USA and it was $79.95... and I thought that was outrageous and was the highest priced game I ever saw at time time

Virtual Racer for the Genesis was $100 in 1994 because of the Sega Virtua Processor chip included in the cartridge. I think Strider was expensive for the Genesis also but I cant find the price when it first came out.

Virtual Racer for the Genesis was $100 in 1994 because of the Sega Virtua Processor chip included in the cartridge. I think Strider was expensive for the Genesis also but I cant find the price when it first came out.

ouch

completely forgot about that, which lead to the 32X expansion after that...

video games today cost as much as a movie to make, Also a movie is shown millions and millions of times in movie theaters, and then it's rented an sold to hundreds of millions.

a game is a top seller if it passes 2 million. 5 million then you have a real super seller on your hands.

you can't compare movie and game prices. on top of that, a movie is 2 hours of entertainment, even short games are at least 3 times that, usually plus multiplayer.

NES and SNES games cost as much and often more than games today do. HOWEVER. counting inflation, a 60 dollar game back 20 years ago, was a LOT more expensive than a 60 dollar game today. and back then you didn't have big chains giving you release date rebates on the first week, or bargain bins after a couple of months.

I was all ready to quote and make the same points you did. Thanks for saving me the trouble :p