• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 26 February 2013 - 19:40

Games shouldn't even be close to what they are now which is why I don't game much anymore.

Movies that cost 200 hundred million to make are $20 and even if you throw in the theater price it's $30 but video games that cost maybe 5 million to make are $70?

video games today cost as much as a movie to make, Also a movie is shown millions and millions of times in movie theaters, and then it's rented an sold to hundreds of millions.

a game is a top seller if it passes 2 million. 5 million then you have a real super seller on your hands.

you can't compare movie and game prices. on top of that, a movie is 2 hours of entertainment, even short games are at least 3 times that, usually plus multiplayer.

wasn't the original Zelda game like $60 when if first came out too?
i'm pretty sure i read that somewhere. either way though, that shows prices for games really haven't changed all that much. and i doubt any radical changes will happen this generation either

NES and SNES games cost as much and often more than games today do. HOWEVER. counting inflation, a 60 dollar game back 20 years ago, was a LOT more expensive than a 60 dollar game today. and back then you didn't have big chains giving you release date rebates on the first week, or bargain bins after a couple of months.

#17 +Tikimotel

Tikimotel

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 February 2013 - 19:48

I've paid 70 euro's for PS3 games already,
I just hope the $99 (US dollar) translates into €75,- Euro's not €99 Euro's...

#18 +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 26 February 2013 - 19:52

Is this is true and games START at $99, I won't be buying a PS4 unless the games are motion picture quality graphics, which they are not. Hopefully MS has more sense.

#19 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 February 2013 - 19:55

Good lord its not freaking true, they are PLACE HOLDER prices.

#20 jr.flynn

jr.flynn

Neowinian

Posted 26 February 2013 - 19:58

Good lord its not freaking true, they are PLACE HOLDER prices.

But in order to know that people would have to read through more than the first post before commenting. :/

#21 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 26 February 2013 - 20:01

But in order to know that people would have to read through more than the first post before commenting. :/

so people can't read 2 posts down now?

because the $99 price is debunked in post 3

#22 Doli

Doli

Goo ball

Posted 26 February 2013 - 20:29

I remember when Shadows of the Empire came out on N64 in the USA and it was $79.95... and I thought that was outrageous and was the highest priced game I ever saw at time time

wasn't the original Zelda game like $60 when if first came out too?
i'm pretty sure i read that somewhere. either way though, that shows prices for games really haven't changed all that much. and i doubt any radical changes will happen this generation either

Virtual Racer for the Genesis was $100 in 1994 because of the Sega Virtua Processor chip included in the cartridge. I think Strider was expensive for the Genesis also but I cant find the price when it first came out.

#23 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 26 February 2013 - 20:30

Virtual Racer for the Genesis was $100 in 1994 because of the Sega Virtua Processor chip included in the cartridge. I think Strider was expensive for the Genesis also but I cant find the price when it first came out.

ouch

#24 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 February 2013 - 20:47

completely forgot about that, which lead to the 32X expansion after that...

#25 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 26 February 2013 - 22:21

video games today cost as much as a movie to make, Also a movie is shown millions and millions of times in movie theaters, and then it's rented an sold to hundreds of millions.

a game is a top seller if it passes 2 million. 5 million then you have a real super seller on your hands.

you can't compare movie and game prices. on top of that, a movie is 2 hours of entertainment, even short games are at least 3 times that, usually plus multiplayer.

NES and SNES games cost as much and often more than games today do. HOWEVER. counting inflation, a 60 dollar game back 20 years ago, was a LOT more expensive than a 60 dollar game today. and back then you didn't have big chains giving you release date rebates on the first week, or bargain bins after a couple of months.

I was all ready to quote and make the same points you did. Thanks for saving me the trouble :p

#26 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:50

I'll do like I do now, unless it's a must have game I always wait for it to come down before purchasing.

#27 Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:00

Before this gets out of proportion:

PlayStation 4 Game Prices Will Go from Free to 60 Dollars or Euro:
http://news.softpedi...ro-331899.shtml

#28 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:57

I see your $100 Virtual Racer and raise you a $200 Action 52...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4QBeADNM34
NSFW (lots of swearing).