• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#16 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,366 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:03

This lawsuit doesn't stand a chance because beer consists mostly of water anyway (up to 96%).

Not 96% afaik.
The '4%' on the label refers to the amount of ethanol there is in it, if it was pure 4% ethanol and 96% water you'd have a very weak vodka, beer on the other hand has barley and other things in it which give it the distinctive taste, it is certainly not (well shouldn't be and stuff in the UK isn't) 96% water.

#17 +zhiVago

zhiVago

World Citizen

• 9,318 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:55

Not 96% afaik.
The '4%' on the label refers to the amount of ethanol there is in it, if it was pure 4% ethanol and 96% water you'd have a very weak vodka, beer on the other hand has barley and other things in it which give it the distinctive taste, it is certainly not (well shouldn't be and stuff in the UK isn't) 96% water.

Vodka is a distilled beverage and you are right in saying that it is a mix of ethanol with water. However, beer is different; it is a fermented drink; it is brewed; it's not distilled, speaking about the real stuff.

It takes a lot more than 4% of barley of the total (final) mass to produce beer. Because it is a fermented drink, the yield is not just a sum of the ingredients.

#18 Steve B.

Steve B.

Neowinian British One

• 5,699 posts
  • Phone: Apple iPhone 4S

Posted 27 February 2013 - 14:33

This lawsuit doesn't stand a chance because beer consists mostly of water anyway (up to 96%).

They said the same about milk years ago when farmers would add water to get a higher yield. Now there are analysis methods to check the water content, and if it's too high the batch gets rejected and you can be fined.

I don't know if the same system can be used for alcohol since it has a much lower freezing point but it can be analysed.

#19 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,519 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 15:54

Why is this a surprise? I've tried American beer. It's ALL watered down!

Hey -- we use only the finest toilet water. :p

#20 HSoft

HSoft

Neowinian Senior

• 3,929 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 16:01

What I would like to know is, if this class action suit wins, what happens? This probably covers around 80% of adult americans. No way everybody is going to get compensated.
Sounds more like a pay day for lawyers.

#21 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,519 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 16:04

^ Every Anheuser-Busch customer gets a free 6-pack. :D

#22 BillyJack

BillyJack

Neowinian

• 752 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 16:09

I drank beer in Munich Germany and to me that is the best beer. Unfortunately I live in the U.S.

#23 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,544 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 16:23

I drank beer in Munich Germany and to me that is the best beer. Unfortunately I live in the U.S.

I have found that local breweries make the best stuff. There's one around here called Straight to Ale, and they have some fantastic beers. It can be tricky finding them, but if you ask around, good beer is being made in the States--it's just generally not found in the supermarkets.

#24 Redmak

Redmak

Neowinian Senior

• 8,296 posts
  • Phone: HTC One

Posted 27 February 2013 - 16:25

German beer is great. We have some nice beers here in Holland as well

#25 mps69

mps69

Neowinian

• 822 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 16:27

Hey -- we use only the finest toilet water. :p

As I once read on a toilet wall in a pub.
Don't take the P*** out of our beer, 'cause we don't.

I stopped drinking Bud years ago after I found Guinness. When I'm in the US I've been known to sink a few Sam Adams.

#26 +zhiVago

zhiVago

World Citizen

• 9,318 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 17:10

They said the same about milk years ago when farmers would add water to get a higher yield. Now there are analysis methods to check the water content, and if it's too high the batch gets rejected and you can be fined.

I don't know if the same system can be used for alcohol since it has a much lower freezing point but it can be analysed.

There should be no added water in milk, unless it's marketed as milk (a milk by-product) that's been made from the condensed milk or the milk powder.

When it comes to beer, my understanding is that the regulation only specifies the contents, not the recipe or how it should be made (the sequence of the production process; sure, there are product safety guidelines, but that's not it).

And as the defence, has already said:

Our beers are in full compliance with all alcohol labeling laws

So, if you look at the label of a beer bottle, under the ingredients it will say: water, malted barley, hops.

The judge will throw away this case as soon as the process starts. There's no substance. And not one consumer has been duped.

#27 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,315 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 17:14

There's no way in hell those beers are 5% ABV.

#28 Burned

Burned

Neowinian

• 451 posts
  • Phone: Samsung S3

Posted 27 February 2013 - 17:16

I know one of our local breweries (Molson) would brew the beer to double strength then cut it with water to double the volume needed to meet the demand. It was too costly to increase the size of the brewery.

#29 +zhiVago

zhiVago

World Citizen

• 9,318 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 17:21

I know one of our local breweries (Molson) would brew the beer to double strength then cut it with water to double the volume needed to meet the demand. It was too costly to increase the size of the brewery.

Of course, all the corporations are greedy by definition and they will do anything to maximize the profits and decrease the costs.

As for the water, the law doesn't say when it should be added, the sequence of the production process. It just allows for certain ingredients in certain amounts to be there so the final product can be called beer.

#30 Burned

Burned

Neowinian

• 451 posts
  • Phone: Samsung S3

Posted 27 February 2013 - 17:29

The ingredients do not have to be displayed. When they state it contains water, barley, and hops, they are just boasting they follow the Reinheitsgebot (Bavarian Purity law of 1516).
Alcoholic beverages must contain the alcohol content by volume in percentage or proof.