Photo

Installing AHCI support for my Windows XP (in dual boot)

winxp

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Holey

Holey

IT Support

Posted 27 February 2013 - 22:37

Hey fellas!

I am trying to switch my XP installation over from using IDE to ACHI so that I don't have to change the SATA emulation mode in the BIOS every time I want to switch OS's.

Making the registry change is easy - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

The issue is those registry keys do not exist, and I cannot get the AHCI driver to install. I'm assuming that part of the installation of the AHCI driver is the creation of those keys.

My motherboard is an Asus P8Z68-V Pro. I have downloaded the SATA driver from the support page (its the Intel Storage Matrix or something along those lines) which is the thing that enables my AHCI support, yet whenever I run the installation, it fails with the error 'This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for this..' (paraphrased because I can't remember exactly and I'm not in front of my computer at the moment).

So I suppose my question at the end of the day is - How do I get this AHCI driver to install? and if/when it does, will that create the registry keys that I can then change to allow XP to boot when my SATA emulation mode is set to AHCI in the BIOS?

As a backup if i can't get this working, I'll probably try and slipstream the driver using nLite or something and installing fresh.. Would prefer to avoid that though!

#2 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 27 February 2013 - 22:39

Is this Win XP sp3 ?

However, Windows XP does not come with a generic AHCI driver. That means no out-of-the-box AHCI support.

http://superuser.com...ut-reinstalling

#3 Riva

Riva

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 27 February 2013 - 23:03

I was going to help you with that but, you still run windows xp? :o
joking I have no idea how to do it, it always failed for me

#4 OP Holey

Holey

IT Support

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:16

Yes it is SP3 :)

And I use XP purely to run COD4 because Punkbuster won't update to work with Windows 8 -.-

I'm aware there is no generic driver, which is why I've said I've downloaded the AHCI driver for my motherboard, but it is failing to install..

#5 Davo

Davo

Neowinian

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:22

On my AMD board, it was ridiculously easy.

For Intel, I had to go into Device Manager, right click the IDE Adapter/SATA Host Controller and click update driver. From there it installed, and then all I had to do was reboot and change to AHCI in BIOS.

#6 freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:24

why not move to win 7 bc the cut off date is next year for xp.