new york intrepid sea air & space museum replica chinese shipyard

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 61,854 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 00:47

At a Tuesday press event in New York, Australian billionaire Clive Palmer, chairman of Blue Star Line shipping company, unveiled blueprints for his company's planned Titanic II. It's an exact replica of the haunted 1912 cruise liner that ... well, you've seen the movie.

Palmer claims Titanic II will be the safest cruise ship in the world when it sets sail in 2016 from Southampton, England, bound for New York, following the ill-fated Titanic's original planned route.

The press event, held at New York's Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum, was part of an ongoing campaign to promote the Titanic II launch. Blue Star held a Titanic II Gala Dinner at the Venetian in Macau this month to drum up interest among wealthy Chinese.

Palmer has commissioned a Chinese shipyard to build the replica.

The mining magnate won't say exactly how much money he's sunk into the project, but he doesn't appear worried about those who might be leery about boarding such a dubiously named vessel. Palmer says he's received offers of up to $1 million for passage on the ship's maiden voyage.

source

Attached Images

• titanicII.jpg

#2 1941

Banned

• 18,175 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 00:49

The first one did not work out too well. I would not go on any cruise ship, people disappear, sewage in the rooms, no thanks.

#3 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 61,854 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 00:51

I'm booking a cruise as we speak. :)

#4 1941

Banned

• 18,175 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 00:55

I'm booking a cruise as we speak. :)

Do you have a replacement in case you are never heard from again? :)

#5 CrashGordon

CrashGordon

The Perfect Threesome: Lime, Salt & Tequila

• 5,283 posts
  • Phone: Jackson JS3 Kelly Bird IV through a Fender Rumble 150. Can ya hear me now?

Posted 28 February 2013 - 00:56

Palmer has commissioned a Chinese shipyard to build the replica.

Sounds like a good choice, everything else seems to be made there these days. :p

#6 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:08

Tickets for the original Titanic voyage was $4000, a good bit of money for the time. I wonder what prices for this voyage will be?

#7 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 61,854 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:11

^ The same, only half down on deposit -- the other half due if you make it. :p

#8 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,621 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:24

so..
- the White Star Line was the shipping company that build the Titanic; this one is the Blue Star Line...
- "Palmer claims Titanic II will be the safest cruise ship in the world" - the original was unsinkable and..oh wait.
- "(...) when it sets sail in 2016 from Southampton, England, bound for New York" - same route as the original unsinkable one. Crepy, isn't?
- "Palmer has commissioned a Chinese shipyard to build the replica." - Foxxcon? :laugh: Anyway, it does look promissing... :rolleyes:

Tickets for the original Titanic voyage was $4000, a good bit of money for the time. I wonder what prices for this voyage will be?

that was the first class seats price with today's inflation or the original price? because if it was the original price... :o it was very very expensive.

#9 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 33,961 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:27

I would not go on any cruise ship, people disappear, sewage in the rooms, no thanks.

Having just got back from a 2 week cruise around the Caribbean, all I can say is: Your loss!

#10 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:29

that was the first class seats price with today's inflation or the original price? because if it was the original price... :o it was very very expensive.

That said on ABC News that was the original prices. They said it would be $70,000 at today's prices.

#11 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,621 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:30

That said on ABC News that was the original prices. They said it would be $70,000 at today's prices.

:o

#12 +hedleigh

hedleigh

Neowinian

• 506 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:32

He also intends to have the 3 classes that are separated from each other. Would have thought that was a health a safety nightmare.
But then I'm not a billionaire with apparently far too much money to waste and I have no idea on shipbuilding.

Wonder if the staff will be issued with guns just in case a 3rd class passenger wants to have a look at have the other classes available. I mean can't have the poor mingling with the rich and infamous! :rofl:

#13 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• 6,135 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:35

He also intends to have the 3 classes that are separated from each other. Would have thought that was a health a safety nightmare.
But then I'm not a billionaire with apparently far too much money to waste and I have no idea on shipbuilding.

Wonder if the staff will be issued with guns just in case a 3rd class passenger wants to have a look at have the other classes available. I mean can't have the poor mingling with the rich and infamous! :rofl:

It could be a legal issue, but the most common tactic around those is to fly the flag of some country that has no standards.

#14 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,877 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:36

The titanic is still one of the most captivating events of the 20th century. He'll sell tickets by the bucketload, and the ship will conform to all modern safety regulations. As a Titanic enthusiast i'd sail on it.

#15 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,621 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:44

yeah, like this scene could ever happen!
Posted Image

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!