new york intrepid sea air & space museum replica chinese shipyard

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#46 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,637 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:14

It is true that the Titanic's original design called for it to be a bit shorter and they did indeed have to lengthen it but as far as I'm aware it didn't cause the ship to handle significantly differently. The size of the ships however did cause other issues, the infamous incident between the Titanic's sister the Olympic and the HMS Hawk was caused largely by the suction that the immense draft of the ships created in shallow water.

#47 1941

Banned

• 18,175 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:21

8 shipping disasters all over the world. In 2012 561 people died in shipping disasters. 24x more people died in the united states of america alone from gun violence than died all over the world from accidents aboard ships (and 431 of those were in poor countries). Nor have you provided me any evidence that American ships are better than anyone else's. I know fearmongering is all you yanks know but get your head in the real world and actually do the math.

Gun violence is way off of this topic. You seem to be obsessed with guns. I did not say that America's ship building was better. I said that if it was built in America it would not have hit that iceberg . The reason being that it would have taken a very different course. /

#48 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,529 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:40

surely the cruise route can only approved for summer time only.

i would also prefer it, if the new titanic have some hovering ability, like hovercraft, just in case...

#49 CrashGordon

CrashGordon

The Perfect Threesome: Lime, Salt & Tequila

• 5,260 posts
  • Phone: Jackson JS3 Kelly Bird IV through a Fender Rumble 150. Can ya hear me now?

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:51

surely the cruise route can only approved for summer time only.

i would also prefer it, if the new titanic have some hovering ability, like hovercraft, just in case...

I'm sure the new one will have the latest & greatest radar system, satellite images and other tech gadgets that the first one didn't have.

#50 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 10,720 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

Posted 28 February 2013 - 15:56

Sorry, couldn't resist:
<trollpost>
But I can see one major flaw already, the ship cannot EXACTLY retrace the original ship's journey, 1 because the original was built in Ireland, and 2, the iceberg the original ship hit, no longer exists :p
</trollpost>

#51 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 60,783 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 16:44

I hope they remember to carry lots of ice.

#52 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

• 2,778 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 17:00

This new ship is a great idea and will provide for an amazing experience and I see nothing wrong with bringing back a replica of a very good design, even by today's standards.

It's refreshing to see them build a ship that isn't a top heavy pile of crap like modern cruise ships. Most modern ships tend to capsize when they take on even small amounts of water. Take the concordia for example. It only flooded TWO watertight compartments and it capsized within a couple of hours. The Titanic was opened to water by the iceberg over the length of FIVE compartments (SIX if you count the damage stretching into the coal bunker of boiler room 5) and it stayed upright for the entire duration of the sinking, a feat that is amazing in and of itself.

The big problem with Titanic was the height of the bulkheads as Javik pointed out. They were lowered to E deck (10 feet above the waterline) because Ismay didn't want first class passengers to have to deal with blockages caused by watertight bulkheads that went up any further. Had the bulkheads been just two decks higher the Titanic would have been able to stay afloat with the damage that she sustained during the collision, and oddly enough original plans called for a design that would have allowed her to float with up to 6 compartments flooding, a design that was later implemented in Olympic and Britannic after Titanic sank.

#53 SuperKid

SuperKid

Im no superman

• 2,489 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 28 February 2013 - 17:10

:o

People who were lucky enough to go first class on Titanic where rich people who owned big businesses at the time I guess? So it probably is reasonable price for them.

This new ship is a great idea and will provide for an amazing experience and I see nothing wrong with bringing back a replica of a very good design, even by today's standards.

It's refreshing to see them build a ship that isn't a top heavy pile of crap like modern cruise ships. Most modern ships tend to capsize when they take on even small amounts of water. Take the concordia for example. It only flooded TWO watertight compartments and it capsized within a couple of hours. The Titanic was opened to water by the iceberg over the length of FIVE compartments (SIX if you count the damage stretching into the coal bunker of boiler room 5) and it stayed upright for the entire duration of the sinking, a feat that is amazing in and of itself.

The big problem with Titanic was the height of the bulkheads as Javik pointed out. They were lowered to E deck (10 feet above the waterline) because Ismay didn't want first class passengers to have to deal with blockages caused by watertight bulkheads that went up any further. Had the bulkheads been just two decks higher the Titanic would have been able to stay afloat with the damage that she sustained during the collision, and oddly enough original plans called for a design that would have allowed her to float with up to 6 compartments flooding, a design that was later implemented in Olympic and Britannic after Titanic sank.

It was also said that where the iceberg hit the side of the ship, the machine wasn't used to screw in the big screws but were hand screwed in because they couldn't get the machine to where the screws where.

#54 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

• 2,778 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 17:20

People who were lucky enough to go first class on Titanic where rich people who owned big businesses at the time I guess? So it probably is reasonable price for them.

It was also said that where the iceberg hit the side of the ship, the machine wasn't used to screw in the big screws but were hand screwed in because they couldn't get the machine to where the screws where.

Yea, the extreme bow and stern were riveted by hand because the machine would not fit in those areas. They were also iron rivets instead of steel since iron was easier to use by hand. Steel rivets were used where the machine would fit. Of course you also have the issue where original spec called for grade 4 rivets and they eventually settled for grade 3 which had more slag due to budget concerns. Either way they actually tested the rivets and didn't really see much of a problem with them as far as their ability to sustain unusual stresses. Of course they're going to snap under thousands of tons of force that would be exerted on the hull during a collision with a block of ice upwards of 3 times the size of the ship. They figure no ship of the time would have had a chance of coming away from that collision without significant damage.

#55 gameboy1977

gameboy1977

Neowinian

• 871 posts
  • Phone: Windows Phone 8

Posted 28 February 2013 - 17:35

I'm sure the new one will have the latest & greatest radar system, satellite images and other tech gadgets that the first one didn't have.

I am sure about this too.

#56 McKay

McKay

Grossly Incandescent.

• 5,266 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3

Posted 28 February 2013 - 17:35

Why not name it Titanic? As there isnt a ship called that anymore.

Also If it sinks at least there won't be a policy of "Women and Children First". That'd be sexist :rofl:

#57 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

• 1,185 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 17:46

Hitting the iceberg head on or making the internal water compartment walls go to the top of the ship may of kept part of it a float.
The other ship that got the distress call and ignored it would of saved a lot of people as well.

#58 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

• 2,778 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 18:58

Hitting the iceberg head on or making the internal water compartment walls go to the top of the ship may of kept part of it a float.
The other ship that got the distress call and ignored it would of saved a lot of people as well.

Californian (the "other ship") never actually received the distress call. Their wireless operator went to bed at 11:30. 10 minutes before the collision. Titanic was one of the few ships on the ocean that had 2 wireless operators and said radio was manned 24/7.

And you are correct, hitting the iceberg head on would have resulted in one, MAYBE two compartments flooding, and with some minor repairs the ship would have actually been able to proceed under her own power, albeit at reduced speed.

#59 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 10,720 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

Posted 28 February 2013 - 19:03

All laughing and joking aside, I for one would like to see it built, It was a majestic ship.

#60 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

• 2,778 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 20:01

All laughing and joking aside, I for one would like to see it built, It was a majestic ship.

+1, I honestly consider it to be one of the best looking ships ever built. Not to mention the sheer size. I know it pales in comparison to some of the new cruise ships, but everything on Titanic was on a huge scale, from the 4 gigantic funnels right down to the anchors that weighed 15 tons each.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!