#61 FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

• 2,377 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 21:21

I think it's in extremely poor taste.

#62 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,530 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 21:38

I think it's in extremely poor taste.

Sorry, I fail to see how...
If it repeats the same mistakes, then that's sheer stupidity, ships sink, people still book cruises, planes develop faults and fall out of the sky, people still fly etc...
Now I apologise if this story hits a little too close to home (you may have had a distant relative that either had something to do with it's construction, or journeyed on it, then I retract my statement as it is indeed, at least for you in poor taste)
But in order for humankind to continue growing and evolving, we do have to keep pushing forward, remembering not to mistakes that can endanger or worse, life.

#63 FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

• 2,377 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 22:07

Sorry, I fail to see how...
If it repeats the same mistakes, then that's sheer stupidity, ships sink, people still book cruises, planes develop faults and fall out of the sky, people still fly etc...
Now I apologise if this story hits a little too close to home (you may have had a distant relative that either had something to do with it's construction, or journeyed on it, then I retract my statement as it is indeed, at least for you in poor taste)
But in order for humankind to continue growing and evolving, we do have to keep pushing forward, remembering not to mistakes that can endanger or worse, life.

This isn't about a guy building just a ship though, and offers nothing in somehow advancing humankind.

This is about a guy who wants to build a clone of a ship which was in a tragic even where 1,500 people died and re-enact the journey.I fail to see how this can be seen as anything but poor taste.

#64 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,936 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 22:20

It was also said that where the iceberg hit the side of the ship, the machine wasn't used to screw in the big screws but were hand screwed in because they couldn't get the machine to where the screws where.

Rivets are not actually screwed, what happens is that rivets are heated to an incredibly high temperature, hammered through pre-cut holes in the steel. The back end of the rivet is then flattened and the rivet is allowed to cool. Once the rivet cools it contracts and pulls the 2 metal plates together creating an incredibly forceful seal that holds the plates together.

As for the actual point of this question, using the riveting machine in the bow section of the ship was a physical impossibility as the tapering of the bow needed to make it effectively cut through the water simply didn't grant enough room for the machine to do it's work. However if it's done properly hand riveting should not significantly weaken a ship. There is a suggestion that the rivets were of substandard quality and contained too much aluminium slag (a by product of the smelting process), which could have weakened their structure but historical accounts are contradictory. The investigation done by Seconds From Disaster did suggests the rivets were weak, but other investigations have came to opposite conclusions. However what is not debated is that when the iceberg impacted the hull of the titanic it created an absolutely immense amount of force, somewhere in the realm of 12,000lb of force. Most analysts agree that even the most well made rivets of the era would have struggled to survive such an immense amount of force.

In reality the fact is that the Titanic was a pretty well built ship and it essentially encountered unforseen structural forces that it simply could not survive.

#65 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,671 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 00:02

Posted ImageHum, on 27 February 2013 - 19:47, said:
Palmer claims Titanic II will be the safest cruise ship in the world

Heard that before :p

I bet God Himself can't sink Titanic II. :shifty: