Teen girl faces 100 lashes for fornication

The Maldives government has said its hands are tied in the case of a 15-year-old girl sentenced to 100 lashes and eight months house arrest for engaging in premarital sex.

The registrar for the Juvenile Court confirmed Wednesday that the sentence had been imposed Tuesday, after the girl confessed during a court hearing to the charge of fornication.

"She's staying in a children's home now so we have ordered her to remain in a children's home," registrar Zaima Nasheed Aboobakur told CNN.

"We have explained to her how if she wants to receive the punishment (the lashings) right now she can ... or it can be postponed until she turns 18," she added.

Amnesty International told CNN the same girl was the alleged victim of sexual abuse by her stepfather.

The Juvenile Court registrar said she had no information on reported charges against the girl's stepfather, as that case was being dealt with by the Criminal Court, but she said that the teenager's fornication charge was unrelated to the stepfather's case.

The prosecutor general told Amnesty International on Wednesday that it couldn't elaborate on the circumstances of the premarital sex other than that the girl had confessed to the offense, punishable under the Islamic country's Sharia laws, said Abbas Faiz, a researcher with the group.

more

Yikes.....

Although I can think of some men in London who would pay to have that done to them

Do you know these men in London personally? Just wondering why you picked out London, of all places.

Islam is the official religion of the Maldives and open practice of any other religion is forbidden and liable to prosecution. Article 2 of the revised constitution says that the republic "is based on the principles of Islam."

Need I say more?

• Like 4

Having governments regulate moral is pretty stupid.

They base their governing on Islam. Islam, like most religions, is fanatical and hysterical about morality. Especially sex. Sex being a basic human instinct, religions are of course going to involve themselves in it as much as possible.

The sad thing is i'm pretty sure you can actually find some religious nuts in north america who actually agree with this without saying it out loud. After all she had sex before 18 she deserves some punishmentt right ?

Insanity of maiming somebody for the 'crime' of fornication aside, this is not the first time a women has been punished under sharia law for the crime of being raped.

Incidentally, the Maldives is one of 7 nations where Atheism is punishable by death.

Anyway, I hope this case destroys the Maldives' image as a tourist destination and cripples its economy in the process.

*Crosses Maldives off his list of places to visit.

Well, that's another pestilent ###### I won't be visiting!

..why do people have such a problem with sex... its great fun and great exercise

• Like 2

..why do people have such a problem with sex... its great fun and great exercise

Because in a lot ways the human race is still backwards.

Yikes.....

Although I can think of some men in London who would pay to have that done to them

are you referring to the lashing or the premarital intercourse with the 15 year old girl?

it's not about sex. it's about paternity.

A woman has 100% knowledge that the child is theirs. Men, modern DNA tests aside, have only as much knowledge of who the father is as the amount of control of the woman he has.

are you referring to the lashing or the premarital intercourse with the 15 year old girl?

Seeing as I've already answered it..................... and stop taking my posts out of context.

Just to clarify in case you're still wondering......... I was referring to the lashing and not the underage sex