• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Gnieus

Gnieus

The Genius

• 73 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4, 3Gs, HTC 7 Mozart, BlackBerry Curve 9380

Posted 28 February 2013 - 15:57

So today I took my Maths GCSE exam, I had done all the revision in the world and was super prepared for the test. However, me being as forgetful as I am, I forgot to put my phone in my bag, and the exam monitors
found me with it half way through. In England, it is against exam regulations to have a phone on you during the exam, even if it's off. I wasn't using the phone, it was happily sitting in my pocket.

So, as you might imagine, they disqualified me. Now I'm worried, will they allow me to retake this exam, or is that it for Maths?

Thanks!

#2 ramesees

ramesees

Neowinian Senior

• 2,536 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 15:59

As you must pass your Maths GCSE there will be resits in June / November

#3 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,127 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 28 February 2013 - 16:05

You are of course allowed to retake the exam, which you really need to do given how important maths is.

With any exam you should always make sure you only take in what you absolutely need. Schools have to be strict, as otherwise it undermines the qualification for everybody. It's a tough lesson to learn but it's a mistake you'll likely never make again.

#4 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,417 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 16:08

Are you in school? Or is this a private paid retake?

#5 ShMaunder

ShMaunder

Neowinian

• 1,045 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 28 February 2013 - 16:12

It amazes me how people can forget about putting their phone into their bag before an exam. In most cases it isn't they forget, but more because they don't trust leaving it in their bag.

All the exams I've taken, they tell everyone at least once to check their pockets for any unauthorised material such as phones, revision notes etc.

In any case you'll be able to re-take - but not sure if it'll be funded if you're at school (i.e. you may have to pay for retake).

#6 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,716 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 16:14

You're allowed to retake.
I messed up my GCSE's :laugh: and i re-took english (i think) and maths in college a year later for free. I think it was around June.
However i am sure you can re-take it much sooner as i did the whole learning thing as well.

The maths one didn't go that well again, wrote my car off on the way to the exam. Still sat the exam, like a boss. :laugh:

Makes me glad we didn't have mobile phones back when we did GCSEs. Well we did have mobile phones but they were massive and wouldn't fit in a pocket anyway.

#7 thechronic

thechronic

Neowinian Senior

• 2,009 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 16:17

You can sit it in college too. Sorry to hear that happened. Don't worry too much. You had good intentions.

#8 Tuishimi

Tuishimi

Michinator

• 843 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 16:22

I think phones have become almost a part of people... they forget about them like a body part. Sorry to hear about being disqualified... it is too bad they couldn't confiscate it for the duration.

...we did have mobile phones but they were massive...

Heh. My first mobile phone was hard-wired into my truck and was as large as, if not larger than, my home phone.

#9 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,010 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 16:23

Forgot... Sure... ;)

#10 OP Gnieus

Gnieus

The Genius

• 73 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4, 3Gs, HTC 7 Mozart, BlackBerry Curve 9380

Posted 28 February 2013 - 16:25

Thanks for the info, it seems I will get a retake in June. The parents are fuming at me, as you can imagine.

And yes, I completely forgot the phone was on me, I get very stressed when it comes to exams and a stop listening to everyone just before hand, I get my mind-set ready for the exam, and only for the exam. Hence the reason I forgot about my phone.

#11 +WildWayz

WildWayz

The Moose God

• 291 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 28 February 2013 - 16:55

Still boggles me as to why mobiles are allowed in schools.

#12 Nayos

Nayos

Kor

• 623 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 16:59

Still boggles me as to why mobiles are allowed in schools.

They aren't, usually.

#13 Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

• 3,647 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:15

In the UK mobile phones are allowed at school (in some cases even recommended as it's an easy way for the child to get in touch with their parents) provided they are turned off. However in the exam room everything apart from a pen, pencil, ruler, eraser (and calculator in some papers) is restricted.

#14 Shahrad

Shahrad

IT Consultant

• 259 posts
  • Phone: LG G2

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:42

Its not the end of the world, I know people who have suffered the same incident.

Because of the enthusiasm shown by parents and the students, that same 20 minute window, they locked him into a room in the head masters office, and simply revoked him to do it again 5 minutes after the real exam was done, but since he was in the room, no possible line of communication, and his a paper was included in the pile with everyone else. Not sure if that's allowed, but it worked and he got his grades on time, for which he was relieved for. (No it wasn't me, word spread around my school because teachers couldn't keep their mouths closed :p)

#15 -T-

-T-

Trapmaster

• 2,545 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:45

While you'll be able to resit the exam, how did they discover it in your pocket halfway through the exam. Was there an impromptu pocket search section of the exam paper?