GNU / Linux March 2013 Desktops

Arch is mediocre. It's lightweight but it does have bugs, bugs that never seem to get fixed.

For example in cinnamon if I shutdown, sometimes it turns off in seconds, other times (for no reason I can find) it'll either sit on the desktop (unable to do anything) or go to the CLI login prompt (not accepting any input) and just sit there for about 10 minutes then show some messages and turn off, whereas if I login as 'halt' from the login prompt, it always turns off in seconds.

Chances are arch will work for you, but if you get bugs with arch don't expect anyone else to have them, they'll usually only appear on your system for some reason.

With all due respect n_K, Arch is usually misconfigured when reacting that way. I am not a cinnamon user although I have tried it "prior to systemd" and did not encounter the bugs your referring to. Arch Linux places precedence upon elegance of design as well as clean, correct, simple code, rather than unnecessary patching, automation, eye candy or "newbie-friendliness. Users fully manage the system on their own. The system itself will offer little assistance, except for a simple set of maintenance tools that are designed to perfectly relay the user's commands to the system.

I could go on quoting their philosophy but you can, as I am sure you have already read it for yourself. You obviously overlooked something.

With all due respect n_K, Arch is usually misconfigured when reacting that way. I am not a cinnamon user although I have tried it "prior to systemd" and did not encounter the bugs your referring to. Arch Linux places precedence upon elegance of design as well as clean, correct, simple code, rather than unnecessary patching, automation, eye candy or "newbie-friendliness. Users fully manage the system on their own. The system itself will offer little assistance, except for a simple set of maintenance tools that are designed to perfectly relay the user's commands to the system.

I could go on quoting their philosophy but you can, as I am sure you have already read it for yourself. You obviously overlooked something.

=2&string=boost"]https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/34154?project=1&cat[0]=2&string=boost

...You were saying ?

• Like 1

And that has to do with what? Are you running into problems building packages with boost? Is this supposed to indicate how bugs never get fixed when the report is only one week old and probably an upstream problem anyway? Or maybe you are referring to, actually no I don't get what you are referring to at all.

Arch is as good as the user running it.

And that has to do with what? Are you running into problems building packages with boost? Is this supposed to indicate how bugs never get fixed when the report is only one week old and probably an upstream problem anyway? Or maybe you are referring to, actually no I don't get what you are referring to at all.

Arch is as good as the user running it.

A one week problem for an incorrectly built package. I'm assuming you do know the slightly bit about GNU/Linux and packages right, you can read too right because the bug report is very, very simple to understand.

The package took me about an hour to compile on a single PC, the arch build team probably have a cluster of PCs and over a week later, no fixed package and no comments to say they're investigating.

YES, that is VERY POOR.

"Arch is as good as the user running it."

That's like saying a measuring meter is as good as the person owning it. If you buy a volt-meter and it's apparently got a 1% tolerance but actually is about 45% out, that makes you the idiot when you get a wrong bunch of readings? No.

Your first and second statements are conflicting n_K, basically what your are saying ^ above is you rate an OS by their response time with bug fixes? Also if you mail Wonder the dev assigned, you will know why the fix has been delayed and it is an upstream issue. Nonetheless your entitled to your opinion. Don't forget to post a screenshot of your current OS.

taHIwbA

apologies Mod, back on topic

No they're not conflicting. I don't rate an OS purely on it's support times but I DO rate an OS partially on what support is offered and how it's offered. I was able to fix the problem fine by recompiling the package using 1.50 instead of 1.52, I didn't try compiling 1.52 so I'm not sure if it works or not, even if it IS an upstream issue; WHY is the current version still being distributed? That is just plain poor support, it'll update currently-working systems and break them and anyone installing that package new gets a broken package that doesn't work which might cause other stuff to fail.

It's like forcing everyone to switch from a tried and test initscripts to systemd before systemd has even been fully tested, oh no wait, arch did that too...

dhsXLSV.jpg

Arch is how far down the list in terms of popular Linux distros . Just let fedora and Ubuntu handle the important stuff .

Gentoo would be somewhere down the bottom of the distro list in terms of usage, yet is one of the most powerful and useful distros out there.

Just saying something is popular doesn't make it good..

Arch is how far down the list in terms of popular Linux distros . Just let fedora and Ubuntu handle the important stuff .

Since when does mean anything important? Sorry, it does not. Ubuntu and Fedora are great distros for normal users, or those that do not know their way around very well.

• Like 1

Why does one need to know his way around ? Every distro I have used is the same you can only change so much but the basics in every distro are the same. For Linux to ever move forward BIG distros like Ubuntu and fedora make the changes and what I call baby copy cats do just that copy the big boys and change artwork. Like it or not Ubuntu is most likely to be accepted by the world as Linux . And all other distros will forever be known as hobby distros . Prove me wrong I dare you.

Since when does mean anything important? Sorry, it does not. Ubuntu and Fedora are great distros for normal users, or those that do not know their way around very well.

Also great for users that do know there way around lol

little tuning here and there ... smaller taskbar-icons, new taskbar color and new wallpaper

post-21849-0-25005500-1364588792.jpg

little tuning here and there ... smaller taskbar-icons, new taskbar color and new wallpaper

Like the wallpaper. :laugh: