• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:26

Have you looked at the Acer S7? It looks amazing (I haven't seen any reviews though).

http://us.acer.com/a...series/aspires7

#17 OP #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 March 2013 - 14:55

[Thread cleaned]

I haven't been in the thread since early last night but what happened that this was needed? It was going rather nicely I thought?

Have you looked at the Acer S7? It looks amazing (I haven't seen any reviews though).

http://us.acer.com/a...series/aspires7

I was for a bit and actually spent some time using it at a local store but the max screen size is only 13" and for that the price is quite high. The HP one is 15" and is a bit less expensive.

What about Windows 8 Ultrabook?

If you look at the specs on the HP one that I am looking at it is an ultrabook. It isn't even 1" thick.

#18 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 04 March 2013 - 15:34

I haven't been in the thread since early last night but what happened that this was needed? It was going rather nicely I thought?

People were bartering about a Ubuntu laptop... back and forth, swearing, etc.

#19 OP #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 March 2013 - 15:37

People were bartering about a Ubuntu laptop... back and forth, swearing, etc.

Seriously...why does this always happen?

#20 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 March 2013 - 15:39

It's the internet, mate. :shiftyninja:

#21 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 04 March 2013 - 15:42

I was for a bit and actually spent some time using it at a local store but the max screen size is only 13" and for that the price is quite high. The HP one is 15" and is a bit less expensive.

aah ok. Another suggestion: if you can, get it from a Microsoft store (online or b&m whatever). Less crapware. :)

#22 OP #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 March 2013 - 15:45

aah ok. Another suggestion: if you can, get it from a Microsoft store (online or b&m whatever). Less crapware. :)

If I go for the HP one, first thing I always do is a fresh install and get rid of any of the pre-installed crap. I'm thinking of getting it from Fry's...they price match now.

#23 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 04 March 2013 - 15:50

Have you looked at a Surface Pro?

#24 daniel_rh

daniel_rh

Daniel R. H.

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIV i9500

Posted 04 March 2013 - 15:58

I've had good experiences with Dell and Sony, especially Dell under warranty. I don't like HP, most HP laptops I've seen suffer from BSOD for some reason, even if they're new. If you really want to enjoy Windows 8, buy a laptop with touchscreen, many of the new things have more sense this way.

#25 OP #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 March 2013 - 16:01

Have you looked at a Surface Pro?

Actually yes...I have 3 of them sitting on my desk at work. It's great but it is a tablet that can be sudo notebook when it needs to be. I still need a notebook.

I've had good experiences with Dell and Sony, especially Dell under warranty. I don't like HP, most HP laptops I've seen suffer from BSOD for some reason, even if they're new. If you really want to enjoy Windows 8, buy a laptop with touchscreen, many of the new things have more sense this way.

I have never liked Dell's as they have always been way too plasticy and just not great. While Sony makes great computers you pay a premium for the name...somewhat like Apple.

#26 OP #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 March 2013 - 20:07

I have to say that I am really leaning toward the HP notebook. I just pulled the manual from the website and both the HD/RAM are easily upgradable. I have an 256GB ssd drive that is like 1 month old and would be kick ass in it. Plus, fry's has a 16gb ram module on sale for like $80 right now. With that combo this notebook with be a killer.

#27 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 March 2013 - 20:34

Go for it, bro! :D

#28 OP #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 March 2013 - 20:27

Just an update. On Friday I bought the HP Spectre XT. It was a beautiful laptop but had some issues. There were some cosmetic scratches around the monitor hinges when I got it. And the trackpad was one of the most god awful one that I have ever used. But the touchscreen was outstanding. Sadly, I took it back.

But, the sales guy and I had a great conversation and I got him to give me the new MacBook Pro 15" retina for $300 off. Seriously...the laptop is kickass beautiful. And there is just something about the trackpad that makes it great. It's the 2.4 ghz i7 with 8gb ram and 256gb ssd drive model. Simply sweet.

#29 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 March 2013 - 21:17

Whoah... That's great for you, man! :D

#30 OP #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 March 2013 - 21:21

Whoah... That's great for you, man! :D

Oh yeah. Even with the discount I still spent waaaaay more than I wanted to but it's whats I wanted. With care....this laptop should last me for at least 4 years.