Scientist Stumbles onto a 'Cure' for Color Blindness

Out in the world, one out of every 10 men have some form of color blindness.

While it?s not the most debilitating genetic irregularity, color blindness can still make everyday tasks, such as getting dressed, difficult. Imagine being color blind and in a gang. That could become downright dangerous.

Then, of course, color blindness becomes a bit of a novelty to ?color normals? ? as those who can see the full spectrum of colors are known -- when they first come across someone who?s color blind. ?What color is my shirt!?? is a favorite question.

But a scientist named Mark Changizi and his partner Tim Barber from 2AI Labs in Boston have created a pair of glasses that may provide a remedy for a certain type of color blindness ? the inability to see reds and greens.

According to Changizi, it turns out that color vision is a trait found only in primates with exposed skin as opposed to dogs, which don?t have color vision. We use our color vision to see the subtle variations in blood flow, on, for example, the human face, to sense feelings and emotion.

The glasses were designed to isolate and amplify certain visual characteristics, and were not necessarily intended as a fix for color blindness. But while Changizi and Barber were showing the glasses to individuals around the world, they found that certain people with color blindness could see colors they were otherwise unable to see.

source & video

Awesome, but if they were colour blind from birth, how do they know what red and green actually look like... :shiftyninja:

I'll take it one step further and ask:

How do we know what looks red and green to me looks red and green to you? :shiftyninja:

Is my red also your red?

How do we know what looks red and green to me looks red and green to you? :shiftyninja:

Is my red also your red?

I've always wondered exactly that!

Is my red also your red?

The article is incorrect, dogs can see colour but they only have 2 colour receptors in the retinas of their eyes as opposed to our three. This means they see everything as a shade of blues greens and yellows, like a human with red colour blindness.

They have many many more rods in their eyes compared to us though which gives them a keen eye for movement and seeing in the dark.

(Offtopic I know but it always bugs me when I see that. Always telling people dogs dont see black and white xD)

^ How do they know ? Has anyone asked the dogs ?

because the disect and examine dog eyes (from dead ones I assume xD) and see that they only have those 2 colour receptors compared to our three

I also imagine they can examine their eyes like they do with humans. Modern eye tests can tell exactly what sight issues you have without any input from the person, they can SEE whats wrong. Quite amazing really.

^ How do they know ? Has anyone asked the dogs ?

Scientists hire pirates (ones wearing an eyepatch) to jam a dog eye into the socket, then the pirate reports out the results of what he sees.

• Like 2

^ Ah that makes more sense.

I try my best to guess at a clever sounding answer, and you pick the pirates one!

Thats it Hum! I'll remember this day :(

edit: on topic, the video doesnt play for me, does anyone have another link or can you tell me if its worth watching.

I'd quite like to see it, but if its a crap vid then it doesn't matter :laugh:

They can also wire up the dogs and monitor neuron signalling from each type of receptor when the dog is exposed to images tuned to stimulate particular sensors. They can can also monitor the activity of the vision centers of the brain with fMRI (functional MRI) scans.

Very similar to how they're mapping motor regions to decode how to use natural signalling and brain-machine interfaces to move bionic limbs.

Awesome, but if they were colour blind from birth, how do they know what red and green actually look like... :shiftyninja:

conspiracy keanu, incoming

... the video doesnt play for me, does anyone have another link or can you tell me if its worth watching.

I'd quite like to see it, but if its a crap vid then it doesn't matter :laugh:

Works on the Yahoo site -- sorry, I haven't found an alternate.

gimme...gimme...gimme....gimme... gimme now! i have never seen a full rainbow in my life! i wana smoke a fatty and cry and a rain bow come onnnnn be cool gimme!

A better feat would be creating glasses that would allow us to see outside the visible spectrum, like dogs and other animals. That's why they can see paranormal entities while we can't.

I'm colourblind, and from my perspective, its not all of a sudden seeing red, or green, cos I see both everyday. Its the fact that at times I can't tell which is which. Particularly when red and green things are in proximity - whichever is most dominant tends to prevail. As an example, those trees that are leafy and have big red flowers? Yeah, I cant see the flowers, just lots of green. However, if I pull one of the flowers off and look at it, it looks red. Stupid eyes...

So yeah, bring these bad boys on I say! I'll have it in sunglasses and reading glasses thanks!

A better feat would be creating glasses that would allow us to see outside the visible spectrum, like dogs and other animals. That's why they can see paranormal entities while we can't.

I think my kittens saw their dead 'grandfather' one night in the kitchen.

They were highly upset at something invisible.

I have read about special glasses year ago, that supposedly lets one see other higher frequencies.