48 replies to this topic

#1 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,799 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:05

Posted Image

For years, numerous pundits have called for the death of single-player games, and while some of us gnash our teeth at the thought of losing solo experiences, the creep of multiplayer has been undeniable. This is good news for Crytek, a studio that apparently can't wait to be rid of single-player.

"I think the notion of a single-player experience has to go away," CEO Cevat Yerli told IGN. "However, I'm not saying that there will be no single-player experiences ... it could be it's called Connected Single-Player or Online Single-Player instead.

"Online and social can reignite single-player in a new type of context and provide benefits that will make you want to be a part of a connected story-mode rather than a disconnected story-mode. Sure, if the technology forces you to play a traditional single-player game online, that doesn't make sense but if it's offering actual benefits to be online then you want to be part of it."

Sigh.

If there's one thing that really irritates me about this industry, it's the sudden and callous desire to see things killed off. The games market seems incredibly quick to discard things at the slightest provocation, or claim something's "dead" at the drop of a hat. This is coupled with a seeming need to see everything homogenize and become the same thing.

Yerli's connected single-player idea? Not a bad idea. In fact, it's been done with Demon's Souls and Dark Soulstremendously. Great idea ... but why does it now need to be every ****ing game? This is the same attitude that saw multiplayer crammed into Overlord -- about three people played that ****, and nobody's playing it now.

It was a useless waste of time and money, but it had to be done because everybody's doing it. I hate seeing one good idea duplicated to obnoxious excess -- we have Hollywood for that already.

You know what notion needs to go away? The notion that something needs to go away entirely just because you've latched onto one idea that works for a set few games.

Crytek Reveals the Many Faces of Free-to-Play [IGN]

Read more at http://www.destructo...f4FEe6Jm8FcY.99

#2 Nagisan

Nagisan

Neowinian Senior

• 5,215 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:13

As long as it has a good solid single-player story (and gameplay, ofc) I don't care what they want to call it.

#3 OP compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,799 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:16

The top comment on Destructoid was "**** off, Crytek".

I agree with that sentiment.

#4 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• 3,240 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:17

How bout crytek just 'goes away' instead?

#5 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,938 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:30

Please, no.

#6 Athernar

Athernar

?

• 3,040 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:46

Yet more proof that Cevat Yerli is a complete and utter idiot.

Do you know what really needs to be killed off? Crytek.

#7 AngelGraves13

AngelGraves13

Neowinian

• 320 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:48

What they're describing is co-op mode. Yes, we want it as much as they do and nobody seems to do it right except for Valve. Even then it's not an ideal method.

I'd like a single player game like ALIENS where you're with a team of 12 people, each customized down to the last detail, and you use your mics to communicate through a singular gaming experience. Instead, we got Aliens: Colonial Marines...

#8 +Lighthalzen

Lighthalzen

GNT-0000 00 Qan[T]

• 1,894 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:27

I like the way Dead Space 3 worked out. Me and my buddy had a blast! (Assuming that's what they are talking about, lol.)

#9 Osiris

Osiris

Neowinian God!

• 11,469 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 930

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:35

Singleplaya 4 life crytekbitches.

Only reason imo they want "online single player" is because it makes piracy all the more difficult, ala diablo 3 et al.

#10 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,542 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:36

I believe he's talking about cloud assisted stuff. SimCity does it, Dragon's Dogma did it, I assume the stuff mentioned in the article did it.

Enjoying Crysis 3 far more than I did 2 and it's still single player so seems like an odd time to say it.

#11 StrikedOut

StrikedOut

Outside the box

• 862 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:48

Sounds like one of the dumbest ideas for gaming for a very long time. I very rarely buy a game for the multiplayer action, prefer a good story line and to be honest these are few and far between these days.

#12 OP compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,799 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:54

I think there are games which in which adding multiplayer is a no-brainer and others in which it is so pointless and unworkable to even try is mental.

#13 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,109 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:56

What they're describing is co-op mode. Yes, we want it as much as they do and nobody seems to do it right except for Valve. Even then it's not an ideal method.

I'd like a single player game like ALIENS where you're with a team of 12 people, each customized down to the last detail, and you use your mics to communicate through a singular gaming experience. Instead, we got Aliens: Colonial Marines...

Really ?

Halo, Gears of War, heck even Diablo3. Drop in single player CoOp.

Even so, while those are great and drop in coop is cool. I want games designed for me to play alone, by myself. But if it's done as well and seamless as Halo and GoW where I can be in a single player one man mission when I want and IF I should decided to want to play with someone else I can have a drop in friend, then it's ok.

#14 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• 21,068 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:43

Im not surprised that this statement comes from a company that only can make Michael Bay-like single player experiences.

#15 AngelGraves13

AngelGraves13

Neowinian

• 320 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:01

Really ?

Halo, Gears of War, heck even Diablo3. Drop in single player CoOp.

Even so, while those are great and drop in coop is cool. I want games designed for me to play alone, by myself. But if it's done as well and seamless as Halo and GoW where I can be in a single player one man mission when I want and IF I should decided to want to play with someone else I can have a drop in friend, then it's ok.

Haven't really played those 3 games myself, but yeah they have co-op. L4D2 is probably the one I've played the most. Always fun.