Photo

Windows 8 adoption rate almost at a standstill, far behind Windows 7

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
309 replies to this topic

#16 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,950 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 840 Pro 128GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 760
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 02 March 2013 - 20:32

At the retail level people are avoiding windows 8 machines because of the hostile user interface,

Way too harsh. C'mon. When consumers look at it, it's cool and colorful and then, they can't do anything. I mean, do you know how much of a difference it would make if there were an official Facebook app pre-loaded? Dedicated apps are faster to access and perform better, and are just more fun to use than a browser for this sort of thing.

Why didn't Microsoft make sure there was a plethora of games by porting all of their Microsoft Studios XBLA games to Modern UI? On type of app that is always run full screen regardless of the UI, is games.

Microsoft isn't stupid, they know all that's missing or not fully functioning. They're just determined to try to force people to accept what they want to do like it or not, fully functioning or not. You might be able to bully competitors, but you can't bully consumers. Especially in a bad economy. Thank goodness the plumbing for the desktop OS and the Server and Server Apps are AAA+

Now more than ever, consumers who are not pleased need to tell Microsoft what they want/need in Windows 8.

#17 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• 2,521 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 20:33

If Ballmer is still running the show then I wouldn't bet on windows 9 being any better than 8.

Yeah lets hope they bring Gates back or get someone with a ****in brain.

#18 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,950 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 840 Pro 128GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 760

Posted 02 March 2013 - 20:34

Who says it's a recommended upgrade to windows 7? No one did. That's just your own point of view.

No kidding Sherlock, it's my post. And I said it is recommendable, not that it was recommended. That implies my opinion. In your anti-Windows 8 Zealotry, your forgot to read properly. Some of you guys are as bad as the SuperFan Zealots.

#19 johnporter29

johnporter29

a = 1; b = 2; a + b = c

• 748 posts
  • Phone: Moto G 4G

Posted 02 March 2013 - 20:36

Way too harsh. C'mon. When consumers look at it, it's cool and colorful and then, they can't do anything. I mean, do you know how much of a difference it would make if there were an official Facebook app pre-loaded? Dedicated apps are faster to access and perform better, and are just more fun to use than a browser for this sort of thing.

Why didn't Microsoft make sure there was a plethora of games by porting all of their Microsoft Studios XBLA games to Modern UI? On type of app that is always run full screen regardless of the UI, is games.

Microsoft isn't stupid, they know all that's missing or not fully functioning. They're just determined to try to force people to accept what they want to do like it or not, fully functioning or not. You might be able to bully competitors, but you can't bully consumers. Especially in a bad economy. Thank goodness the plumbing for the desktop OS and the Server and Server Apps are AAA+

Now more than ever, consumers who are not pleased need to tell Microsoft what they want/need in Windows 8.

Bring back or give the option to bring back the start menu / button and most of the silly histeria about Windows 8 will go away, but we all know that this will not happen either in the lifespan of Windows 8 or in Windows 9.

#20 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,871 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 20:37

So which one is it? Is it a success or not?
There are so many threads not only here, but elsewhere about this, I'm not even sure what to believe anymore

#21 Lastwebpage

Lastwebpage

Neowinian

• 283 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 20:39

Maybe too many users believe forums, blogs and Websites, today? I can't remember that Vista or Win 7 got this Kind of bad advertisement.
About the price. 40$ + 200$ =240$/2=120$, in my opinion MS would sell more OS for 120$ over the complete sell cycle.

(I upgraded to Win 8, because of a new PC that require a 64 bit OS, my old win 7 was 32bit. I am an "isolated case" ;) )

#22 Snake89

Snake89

Neowinian

• 767 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 20:42

No kidding Sherlock, it's my post. And I said it is recommendable, not that it was recommended. That implies my opinion. In your anti-Windows 8 Zealotry, your forgot to read properly. Some of you guys are as bad as the SuperFan Zealots.

I'm not Anti-windows 8 at all. I'll be getting a Surface Pro when it drops down in price. But when it comes to desktop windows 8, yeah it's not really all that cracked up to be, or else people wouldn't be complaining the lack of start menu etc.

#23 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,433 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 20:42

Been using W8 trial on a non touch device for several weeks. Just testing and trying to get used to everything. Didnt care for it then. Then I recently was able to mess around with a Surface Pro for a week and I still dont care for it. Only bought the upgrade since I got the cheap deal.

#24 jjkusaf

jjkusaf

Deadhead

• 1,133 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 20:45

So which one is it? Is it a success or not?
There are so many threads not only here, but elsewhere about this, I'm not even sure what to believe anymore

Well, if the adoption rate is correct in the OP...and you consider Vista wasn't very successful (and according to the OP the adoption rate is below Vista)...and you consider that these numbers (if accurate) are when Win8 was selling for a really cheap price....

then I think you can induce that Win8 is a failure. Will be interesting to see the adoption rate over the next few months now that it is full price. Hopefully Microsoft will learn from this mistake and not alienate the desktop users by forcing tablet features in future Windows version.

Though I consider myself pro-Microsoft...I am actually happy to see such a poor adoption of Win8.

#25 +imachip

imachip

Neowinian

• 1,040 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 20:54

MS has recently woken up to the idea of non-corporate software being sold as a 'service' with the 365 live. Instead of going for a 3 year release schedule of operating systems, it should concentrate on one single instance which should be continuously patched up and you pay for 'extra features' based in a subscription model where it's cost is minimal, say $15 per year for the OS, or $50 per year for OS plus office, etc.

Development of the new revisions needs to be far more socially interactive. Developers from other areas, such as gaming are speaking to their customers through kickstarter and facebook. MS needs to speak and respond to complaints, criticism and take in ideas for their direction, rather than be the silent giant.

This is what I want from the next Windows. Probably too much to ask/hope for as they'll just continue in the 'old ways' of single stand-alone releases.

#26 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,950 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 21:04

I'm not Anti-windows 8 at all. I'll be getting a Surface Pro when it drops down in price. But when it comes to desktop windows 8, yeah it's not really all that cracked up to be, or else people wouldn't be complaining the lack of start menu etc.

The Start Menu is a great search and browsing tool. I myself use Start8. But it's hardly enough to deter for the desktop environment as a computing environment. The improvements over Windows 7 are vast.

Obviously because I do use Start8, I realize how important of a search tool and browsing tool that is. You don't use the Start Menu that much, but when you do, Modern UI Search is unacceptable to me. If that was truly unified and you could drag to select a whole range of results and perform in-place context menu options, I would not mind it myself.

I do think the Start Menu should/could be a feature advanced users could add. I have not problem with it being removed by default. I actually have no problem with the Desktop Environment being an advanced add-on feature. Of course, top notch Modern UI core apps would be required for that, which doesn't appear to be happening even after the fact.

Again, someone at MS incorrectly believes desktop computing is diminishing or losing significance. They are just ... wrong. That fallacy is why things seem so messed up to so many. Not only are they wrong, but their consumer tablet initiative which they seem to have sacrificed much of the hardcore desktop computing users for, is a total failure (my opinion, and I own a Surface.) The Surface Pro is NOT a consumer tablet at $800 and is instead a laptop/ultrabook alternative. It's a full blown PC.

Other than my own workplace, I have not seen a single person with a Surface RT but have seen tons of new iPads and Android tablets which are multiplying like roaches.

#27 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,950 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 21:12

Though I consider myself pro-Microsoft...I am actually happy to see such a poor adoption of Win8.

May I ask why? I am not in general. I like and prefer the Windows platform. Switched to Mac 3 times, sold them all on eBay and went back. Primarily because the productivity of the UI wasn't there for me (something MS is dealing a crushing blow to removing Start Menu and in-place context sensitive menus. Of course for now those are still in the Desktop Environment). But I am happy that users are not accepting the Windows 8 in it's current state. Modern UI Search, very weak core media apps. No compelling apps for Windows 8 that showcase it and won't run on Windows 7.

Microsoft may have also truly bitten off more than it can chew. They have so much to do, fix, create, they can't possibly have enough developers.

You know on a Windows Phone 8 when you play music, you have like/don't like heart on each song that you can sort by or sync by in Zune? Well Zune doesn't work with Windows Phone 8. That whole feature of WP8 is useless. What is that?

#28 trek

trek

7 / X

• 2,931 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 21:13

They should just add a set of GPOs to completely disable metro and restore the Start Menu. Adoption would accelerate significantly.

Personally, if they continue to try and force everyone to metro with no user-customization options, I'll switch to Mac. And no, a 3rd party start menu is not acceptable.

#29 Skin

Skin

Neowinian

• 1,152 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 21:14

Microsoft forked themselves with this one. I"m sure Windows 9 will correct a bunch of the issues people are having. *ducks*

what issues? seriously, what are these major issues that people are having...This is nothing more than what they went through with XP. People got comfortable and don't understand why they should switch up to win 8 from 7.

The majority of regular everyday folks sees 7 working, and says there is no reason to do 8 as my PC/laptop from last year still runs fine.As soon as it starts slowing down, or becomes 'old' in their eyes, they will move up, whether to 8 or 9 or 10 if it's out.

Couple that with the fact that such a media smear campaign happened against win8, and you have a near perfect storm.

#30 margrave

margrave

Neowinian

• 717 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 21:17

Personally, if they continue to try and force everyone to metro with no user-customization options, I'll switch to Mac.

Been considering it myself.... been spec'ing some out for quotes...