Photo

Windows 8 adoption rate almost at a standstill, far behind Windows 7

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
309 replies to this topic

#46 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 4,025 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64Ce Pro w/Media nter Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 850 Pro 256GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 970
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 02 March 2013 - 21:40

And that is *entirely* due to price (Android tablets) and the overwhelming number of apps (iPad). Android is flourishing entirely based on price. Never mind that the low-end tablets are, in fact, mostly forks from the defined standard - they are cheaper than Surface, and that is, in fact, draw a-plenty. (Basically, it's the same impact the Gang of Nine had on the IBM-compatible market.)

However, if you need a large app variety, Android isn't it, and even Windows+RT isn't it - iPad is.

Start8 offers a large number of features the original Start Menu itself lacked - which is part of its draw.

Agreed on price. That's why I consider the tablet space lost to MS. They had one shot with RT and they blew it. Furthermore, on Tegra 3, those cheap Androids run circles around RT. Including and especially 3D gaming.

As for apps, I'm actually leaving WP8 for HTC's latest the ONE. It looks real nice, supports all my bank apps, and Bluetooth 4.0 Heart Rate Monitors, all my Fitness Apps I ran on my iPad, and the apt-x codec over BT 4.0 for CD quality sound over Bluetooth. I hate Google, but MS totally jacked things up IMO and they still don't support Bluetooth 4.0 fully in Windows Phone, only one of my 3 banks has an app, my fitness app and no other quality fitness apps are on it.

I'm sticking with the Surface RT for a while longer but MS is not headed towards fixing any of my issues so I'm sure I'll go Android there too. There's no incentive to settle for less especially with MS' attitude of force feeding "their" agenda.

I do have one issue with Start8, the service is 32-bit. Now it uses 0% CPU and 400k RAM, but I still don't like it.

#47 Order_66

Order_66

Neowinian Senior

• 1,679 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 21:46

Whats funny about this article is the source, Net Applications.

When NA says Internet Explorer is above Chrome people on this forum claim that's BS and paid for by MS. When NA says Windows 8 adoption is slow, then they're absolutely correct.

Either way, NA's sample size is something like 30000. That's far far too small of a sample for well anything, even browsers. In comparison, stat counter's sample size is 3 million.

You mean kind of like when Forbes posted an article about windows 8 being a failure and all the MS zealots attacked it claiming that Forbes is not credible.

But when Forbes made an article praising an RT device the same zealots praised Forbes and didn't question the validity or credibility of Forbes at all.

#48 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 4,025 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64Ce Pro w/Media nter Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 850 Pro 256GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 970

Posted 02 March 2013 - 21:46

New hardware (or at least newer hardware) has to be justifiable in terms of purchasing - such justification is a great deal harder during poor economic conditions, which are still the case, on either corporate/enterprise or home-user levels.

The perception (still - and despite many articles that disprove that hypothesis) is that to use Windows 8, you need new(er) hardware.

Throwing in that misperception are all those low-priced Android tablets (in many cases, sub-$200USD). Spending $200USD is a lot easier to explain away than anything above that - even if it turns out to be a waste - and the perceived costs of upgrading to Windows 8 are higher than that, even not counting the cost of software. (Notice that I said perceived costs - as opposed to real-world costs, which differ with the hardware target in question.)

Improved old (or even staying pat) is proving itself to be a favorite tactic today - and especially in terms of computing. (It's true OUT of computing as well - look at new-vehicle sales - where are they today?) If an OS upgrade is thought to require new hardware, that merely adds to the perceived cost - and folks are looking for ANY excuse to NOT spend money.

Though our PC refresh cycle slowed. We've recovered. But still not deploy 8. We are deploying VDI though. In the Enterprise I think people know better and most PCs are capable, it's the training costs. To technical people it's minor. But the cost of end users relearning the UI and becoming productive, very expensive. Obviously, if a GPO could eliminate the Start Page, that would solve most of it.

There are many good reasons to go with Windows 8 in the enterprise and we will, through VDI.

#49 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,886 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 02 March 2013 - 21:50

You mean kind of like when Forbes posted an article about windows 8 being a failure and all the MS zealots attacked it claiming that Forbes is not credible.

But when Forbes made an article praising an RT device the same zealots praised Forbes and didn't question the validity or credibility of Forbes at all.

Yup sounds just like Neowin :rofl:

Forbes overall is a pretty terrible technology news source, I wouldn't trust any articles / reviews from them ever. Regardless of my feelings towards a particular device.

#50 Order_66

Order_66

Neowinian Senior

• 1,679 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 21:50

I love it. Just a bunch of FUD. More desperation from these bozos online. They keep getting louder and louder,and spreading more garbage every day. comparing % points instead of actual users? did none of these numbskulls ever stop and think a percentage 3-4 years ago does not equal a % today? And these website statistics are neither accurate(go check out discrepancies from other stat houses), nor do they represent actual sales. Windows XP had rampant piracy. Vista and 7 too were too easy to pirate. Windows 8,not so much. Windows 8 also has apps therefore people using apps like Netflix,hulu,etc.. wont show up as valid hits on these stats. And windows has NEVER sold more in the months after the first few months at launch.

I find it funny that a bunch of people online feel their pride hurt because windows has something simple(metro) and has color,and they consider themselves some computer tough guys, all overclocking and using command scripts and all. Too bad Microsoft is not in the business of keeping your computer cred up to par.

And I also find it funny when a zealots pride gets hurt because their favorite software product has bombed and they go online to try and discredit anyone who dares to point it out.

#51 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• 9,282 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 21:52

I installed Win 8 an a partition on my main gaming computer. Dual Booting it and Win 7.
I checked Win 8 out, and while it was at first a bit unfamiliar, I got used to it pretty fast, and really did not think it was all that bad on my initial run through.
My main reason for not fully switching over is it was not enough to make me do so. My Windows 7 comp is set up exactly how I want it to be, and to start over or what does not seem to be any real good reason, and in fact to have to get used to new features that do not seem all that enticing to me personally, just does not appeal to me.

So maybe when I have a few days to spare I will make the full jump to Win 8, but for now I am sticking to Win 7, as I have it set up exactly as I want it to be. It seems a lot of websites and people just do not take into account the fact it is a PITA to upgrade fully to a new OS. I would imagine quite a few people are in my predicament. Just no real need to upgrade because of the starting over factor it brings along with doing so.

DL, most folks (and this is especially true in business) won't upgrade until it is absolutely positively mandatory - and even then they will stall far beyond the point of reasonable sanity - look at how long 9x hung around.

A poor economy gives even greater impetus to "I-refuse-to-move".

That is something I picked up DURING the 9x era - which is why I have not migrated a SINGLE user to Windows 8 (despite some of my family having PCs with 7, Vista, and even XP on them - desktops and portables alike); overcoming inertia is a pain in the rear. (So far, two users migrated to Windows 8 with new hardware purchases - in both cases, due to outright failure of old hardware. The one user that is having issues is, oddly enough, complaining about the cost of Microsoft Office - not Windows 8 [my cousin the MD that runs a medical-coding shop that supplies services to other MDs - the software itself runs just fine in Windows 8].)

Look at the Computer Gaming forum right here on Neowin (specifically my own thread regarding Crysis 3 on the PC) - and the number of folks that can't even justify a $100USD hardware upgrade for a $60USD game. We're not even talking about an OS upgrade at all there.

#52 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 4,025 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 21:54

I love it. Just a bunch of FUD. More desperation from these bozos online. They keep getting louder and louder,and spreading more garbage every day. comparing % points instead of actual users? did none of these numbskulls ever stop and think a percentage 3-4 years ago does not equal a % today?.

I find it funny that a bunch of people online feel their pride hurt because windows has something simple(metro) and has color,and they consider themselves some computer tough guys, all overclocking and using command scripts and all.

1) I think if people saw Windows 8 being adopted in their world's they would disregard the numbers. The numbers are reinforcing their own personal experiences. You can surmise the level of uptake by the by the dearth of Windows 8 exclusive apps (not tapplets, but apps) and the large amount of Windows Blue and Windows 9 chatter so soon after Windows 8 release. Don't worry, the numbers themselves will rise over time. Will it ever be "popular" with consumers? We can only guess and wait. (Do you remember at all devs labeling their products "runs better under Windows 7" "enhanced for Windows 7", etc.? See any of that for Windows 8?)

2) Pride - Most people, that are well adjusted don't take it personally. Furthermore, the things you mentioned, overclocking, command scripts, etc. all work in Windows 8 only even more powerful, lol. In fact, there's even more good under-the hood stuff for hardcore tech types in Windows 8.

#53 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

• 1,014 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 21:56

In defense of the great engineers that did the Desktop Environment, Win 8 DE is so much more than that. Really. Those dudes have to be hating the UI and core app folks that are turning so many away from all that.

I must mis-understand you here. I own windows 8 and have never used MetroUI for more than 5 minutes. I upgraded from windows 7 solely because its operationally faster and classic shell restored the windows 7 feel. Windows 7 desktop interface or DE to windows 8 DE isn't too magical. Theres a nice new task manager, a new file copy dialog with pause option (that is still lacking IMO), and some easier to see picture menus clogging up the top of file explorers, helpful if you never used windows before.

These features come at a HEAVY UI price. hot edges accidentally being selected with the trackpad/mouse, is it a menu or lablel? click and find out. (change PC settings for one), booting to install/use unsigned drivers is guide-worthy due to the steps required, so many system shortcuts removed I can't remember. Figure out where it started (DE or metro) and how to change this to one constant is time-consuming. Now its settings -> power to shut down, which used to change processor power, brightness and configure UPS times..

#54 helios01

helios01

Neowinian

• 379 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 22:02

Gives MS room to release a Windows 9 that is to Windows 8 as Windows 7 was to Windows Vista, a subtle upgrade. Almost scary how the masses react, Windows Vista was nearly the same thing as Windows 7 but were received very differently. Let's see what happens with Windows 9.

#55 Order_66

Order_66

Neowinian Senior

• 1,679 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 22:21

Gives MS room to release a Windows 9 that is to Windows 8 as Windows 7 was to Windows Vista, a subtle upgrade. Almost scary how the masses react, Windows Vista was nearly the same thing as Windows 7 but were received very differently. Let's see what happens with Windows 9.

The first step would be to actually listen to customer feedback instead of blatantly ignoring it and then claiming that you listened.

#56 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 4,025 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 22:26

I must mis-understand you here. I own windows 8 and have never used MetroUI for more than 5 minutes. I upgraded from windows 7 solely because its operationally faster and classic shell restored the windows 7 feel. Windows 7 desktop interface or DE to windows 8 DE isn't too magical. Theres a nice new task manager, a new file copy dialog with pause option (that is still lacking IMO), and some easier to see picture menus clogging up the top of file explorers, helpful if you never used windows before.

These features come at a HEAVY UI price. hot edges accidentally being selected with the trackpad/mouse, is it a menu or lablel? click and find out. (change PC settings for one), booting to install/use unsigned drivers is guide-worthy due to the steps required, so many system shortcuts removed I can't remember. Figure out where it started (DE or metro) and how to change this to one constant is time-consuming. Now its settings -> power to shut down, which used to change processor power, brightness and configure UPS times..

I think we're saying the same thing, there's great OS enhancements overshadowed by the UI. I think we disagree on the level of OS (Desktop Environment Enhancements). There's a lot more than most people see. Unfortunately, many can't get past the UI. Here's a few you may not be aware of:

Native UASP - USB Attached SCSI Protocol (in fairness, OS X Lion has this as well), significant boost to USB 3.0 throughput.

Settings Roam - allows for preferences to sync across a user's Windows 8 devices

Hyper-V - Hyper-V virtualization software comes pre-loaded on Windows 8

R&R - New "Reset and Refresh PC" functions enable simplified system wipe and restore

App Suspend - Refreshed Windows Task Manager suspends apps when they're not running on-screen

Logins - Photo, PIN (love the PIN), Microsoft Account Integration

Printing - Many, Print Class Driver Framework, Print apps no longer allowed to be part of driver

Graphic Hardware Acceleration - Just about everything, vastly improved

Explorer Ribbon - Thank God!

SMB 3 - If you don't network much, disregard, if you do, it's beyond scope of this post but look it up.

Secure Boot w/UEFI - a feature which disallows the loading of unauthorized firmware, operating systems, and drivers at boot time.

Improved Multi Monitor support - Yes, Metro kind of nullifies this :/

Windows to Go - Very fantastic enterprise feature. If you work in corporate IT, I suggest you read up on it

Large Disk Support - Self explanatory

Storage spaces - few are aware of this, good stuff. Storages Spaces allow you to combine multiple disks into one storage pool. The new technology is comparable to RAID, but it is more flexible and easier to configure. Probably the coolest thing is that disks can be of different size and connected through USB, SATA, and SAS (Serial Attached SCSI). Storage pools support thin provisioning (physical space is only used when the capacity is needed) and resiliency (mirroring for fault tolerance).

Power Management - Just works. On same hardware Win 7 was flaky on.

NTFS - Many many, NTFS file system enhancement including self-monitoring/repair and enhanced TRIM support for SSDs. Many very technical improvements to improve reliability of SATA and SCSI.

Global Screenhots - lol, yes, Win+PrtScr

Keyboard Enhancements - Though I have not seen a single Win 8 keyboard, let alone one to take advantage of these

There's more. Anyway, Win 8 Desktop Environment is unquestionably superior to Win 7. The poor Core Modern UI apps and the UI itself are really the only issues grating on many people's nerves.

Windows Vista was nearly the same thing as Windows 7

Just no. Windows Vista, people wanted to upgrade from XP with a passion, but UAC broke too much. Yes it was most likely the apps, but doesn't matter. Too expensive and skipped by most enterprises. Windows 7 - fixed all that and included XP Mode for extreme situations.

Microsoft has never been in this situation, upgrading from a version of Windows that was loved, productive, and no major complaints, to one with issues for many and no clear benefit perceivable by the masses, other than touch which I believe MS has over-estimated the demand for (on the desktop, and over-estimated the demise and influence of desktop computing.)

#57 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 27,190 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 22:51

SMB 3 - If you don't network much, disregard, if you do, it's beyond scope of this post but look it up.

OMG I love Super Mario Bros 3

#58 1759

swedish milkmaid

• 1,110 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 23:36

I'm another user that only upgraded because of the low $40 upgrade price.

Not that surprising that sales of 8 are slow, metro UI just doesn't work very well on the desktop IMO. I like some of the live tiles, but I almost never use metro apps and the overall metro UI seems tacked on. I like the mail app, although basic and news app, but 99% of my time is still spent using the traditional desktop, but yet they are some aspects that still require the usage of charms, and that feels half baked, like MS was bound to force metro someway, somehow.

If MS would've only bundled the updated bits of 8, sans the metro UI as the new Windows, and left the metro ui to the RT tablets, they just shouldn't have tried to force the desktop ui change.

#59 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

• 3,322 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 23:42

40 dollar deal is the only reason I upgraded, otherwise I would have stayed on win7.

Even that wasn't enough to convince me!

#60 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

• 3,995 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 23:49

this shows:

many people upgraded to windows 7 because it was superior in many ways to vista and a big upgrade from XP by then.
now that most people are using windows 7 there is less reason to upgrade to 8. the differences aren't that stark.

/thread.