Hooking up a wireless router to a modem/WiFi unit, how easy is it...?

So what do the logistics look like hooking up a wireless router to one of those cable modem/WiFi router deals? Doing a Google search makes it sound pretty easy but I always like to check with you guys as well. Thanks for any help!

you need to be sure of what equipment you are seeking advice on and make it clear to us so you can get answers.

what "cable modem/wireless" ?

what wireless router?

you dont need 2 routers.

looks like you are working with 2 wireless devices.

we cant read your mind so take a breath and clear this up.

Hook it up how? As an accesspoint, as a client as a repeater?

As already stated some info would be helpful. The make and models of the devices your working with, and exactly what you think you want to accomplish.

Yes using a wireless router as an added accesspoint to your network is quite simple - but from the info given not clear to what your wanting to do.

I'd like to know how too... The one comcast gives me has a builtin router/wifi but I like my linksys one better.... I didnt see how to do disable it when going to the modems website config page :(

Wouldn't it be just as simple as hooking everything up, calling the ISP and saying "I want to use my own router, can you bridge my modem". And they will likely be able to switch the mode on their end or walk you through it.. done.

Wasn't easy for me.

I had to jump thru a lot of hoops to set up my DSL/ wi-fi modem.

I couldn't even tell you now how I managed it. :s

Wasn't easy for me.

I had to jump thru a lot of hoops to set up my DSL/ wi-fi modem.

I couldn't even tell you now how I managed it. :s

Did you contact the ISP right off the bat, they have a TON of customers and I'm sure a good number who want to use their own routers. So they probably have instructions to put their own modem into bridge mode.

Had you done that right off the bat, then it wouldn't have been an issue. Most people don't do that, they spend hours trying to figure it out themselves with no idea what they are doing.

And if you did call them first and they offered little to no assistance, then it would be time to find a new ISP. TBH

^ No I did not.

My ISP is not very customer friendly, and they don't like it when you buy your own modem/routers.

And I feel intelligent enuff to figure things out for myself.

It didn't take me hours, but I managed to stumble thru the set-up.

Wouldn't it be just as simple as hooking everything up, calling the ISP and saying "I want to use my own router, can you bridge my modem". And they will likely be able to switch the mode on their end or walk you through it.. done.

It could well be that simple... assuming that this is the OP's requirement (replacing the wireless router but needing to keep something to be the cable modem), however it is predicated in too many assumptions and we have no idea if that is actually what the OP wants to do.

Depending on the ISP he may not even have to call them but could do it himself if the option is available.

He could want to add another router to extend the range.

He could want to create a network within a network for security reasons.

etc. etc.

we just don't know right now.

"I didnt see how to do disable it when going to the modems website config page"

Don't highjack someone's thread with your own concerns - if you want to do something with your "gateway" then create your own thread. As .fahim has clearly pointed out, we don't have clue one to what the OP is wanting to do. Guessing that they want to put their gateway into bridge mode is just that, a guess.

I think he wants to setup a wireless bridge/client and connect to his gateway using this other wireless router ;)

I really think we need to get some terms pinned here in this thread.. You don't put a "modem" into bridge mode ;) If it was a "modem" then it wouldn't be doing NAT in the first place ;) With the way terms or interchanged its quite often impossible to know what the user has without a model number given. They say they have "modems" when really what they have is a gateway and are behind a NAT, etc. They have 2 devices connected together with the first one being a gateway and then a 2nd router so they end up being behind a double NAT, etc..

modem - connect you to your ISP, does nothing but make the connection quite often changing media - be it phone like to ethernet, or cable RG type connection to ethernet, Fiber to ethernet, etc. Does NOT do NAT, your device connected to this gets a public IP. If it gets a private then your behind a carrier nat, etc.

router - does just that routes and nats, quite often wireless is provided as well, bridged to the lan ports. Ethernet as input - ethernet as output.

gateway - combination of the modem and router. Now a gateway is the type of device that you can put into "bridge" mode - disable its nat, etc. If your connecting with some sort of DSL or ADSL technology most like you have this. And is becoming more common in the cable connection method as well. But at least in the past if your internet was "cable" based then you normally got jut a plain jane modem. And you need a router to do the NAT for you and if so desired add wireless, etc.

Budman, I'm not trying to be rude here, and you are factually correct with your statement above with all of the terms and definitions, but the OP stated

one of those cable modem/WiFi router deals

So it's pretty clear to assume he is using an ISP issues all in one modem/router. My *guess* is he wants to use his own router for more control or whatever reason. The ISP provided unit needs to be put into a bridge mode so it isn't handling the NAT and acts as a standard modem. Which you already know this also, there is no point in going 10 levels deep into scenarios and definitions/terms till we know more.

95% of the time when someone asks this question in my experience, that is what they are trying to do. If he wanted to do something more complicated, he would have typically at least had his terms more correct instead of "one of those cable modem/WiFi router deals" because he would be asking for a more advanced config then just trying to use his own router instead of the ISP's provided unit.

Everyone just wait on the OP to reply and we'll see what they say.. But based on the question that was given, my best guest based on previous similar type questions is what I stated.

Call your ISP and ask them if they can help you put their modem/router into bridged mode, that would be the ideal solution as you get to have your router handle everything and avoid double NAT

My *guess* is he wants to use his own router for more control or whatever reason.

Exactly your "guess"

"So what do the logistics look like hooking up a wireless router to one of those cable modem/WiFi router deals?"

I have no clue to be honest.. From the term "cable modem/WiFi router deals" I agree its most likely a gateway. And your "guessing" that he wants to use his own router as the NAT point. Which may well be what he wants - do you have enough info to tell him how to put that in bridge mode? Do you even know if said device can do bridge mode?

I don't see how your comments or statements are rude at all - but with the info given I have no real clue to what the user wants, or where to start. Other than asking for some actual info to work with ;)

Man guys I'm sorry for the lack of info and not getting back to this post sooner (work for a hospital and it's been pretty nutty). The unit is question is a Cisco DPC3825, my gripe was even though I'm only about 15 Feet tops and it only has to go through two walls I'm getting a crappy signal (three bars). All in all it's not that bad but I do get some stutters here and there when I'm trying to stream video's and such. So I was thinking about hooking up Netgear WNDR3700 and bypassing the wireless functionality on the Cisco. Honestly I'm not sure it's the Cisco because it seems like a fairly newer unit in terms of when it was released...

Man guys I'm sorry for the lack of info and not getting back to this post sooner (work for a hospital and it's been pretty nutty). The unit is question is a Cisco DPC3825, my gripe was even though I'm only about 15 Feet tops and it only has to go through two walls I'm getting a crappy signal (three bars). All in all it's not that bad but I do get some stutters here and there when I'm trying to stream video's and such. So I was thinking about hooking up Netgear WNDR3700 and bypassing the wireless functionality on the Cisco. Honestly I'm not sure it's the Cisco because it seems like a fairly newer unit in terms of when it was released...

The WNDR3700 is a great router, so contact your ISP and tell them you want to turn their modem/router into just a modem and it act as just a bridge between them the ISP and you the customer.

The WNDR3700 is a great router, so contact your ISP and tell them you want to turn their modem/router into just a modem and it act as just a bridge between them the ISP and you the customer.

Sounds great :) thanks!

I do have access to the admin login, also thanks for that link.

If you end up switching it to bridge mode and you can't get the WNDR3700 to get an IP off of the modem, unplug the modem and router for about 10 minutes then plug the modem back in first then your router. It could be a MAC address issue.

unfortunately my ISP doesn't support bridging mode on the Cisco...

Was that what they told you over the phone?, Can you get into the full admin section of the router or is it semi-locked down?

unfortunately my ISP doesn't support bridging mode on the Cisco...

It's harsh but it happens. Any chance that you can change ISP?

Was that what they told you over the phone?, Can you get into the full admin section of the router or is it semi-locked down?

Yes. It does look a bit locked down...

It's harsh but it happens. Any chance that you can change ISP?

Honestly I'm thinking I'm just going to buy my own modem and be done with this haha. ;)

xendrome from WHERE did you get from this - that he needs to put his current gateway into bridge mode?

"about hooking up Netgear WNDR3700 and bypassing the wireless functionality on the Cisco"

Nowhere does he state he wants this wndr3700 to be his gateway or control his NAT, he states he wants to use its WIRELESS..

So do that then - turn off the wireless of your cisco gateway and connect your wndr3700 as an Accesspoint - there you go new wireless..

To use ANY wireless router as AP, just change its lan IP to be on your network IP, turn off its dhcp server and connect it to your network via a LAN port -- NOT its WAN port.. And there you go instant AP.

Now it will provide wireless to your network.. Connect to its IP you gave it to setup the wireless settings you want.