Hooking up a wireless router to a modem/WiFi unit, how easy is it...?

xendrome from WHERE did you get from this - that he needs to put his current gateway into bridge mode?

"about hooking up Netgear WNDR3700 and bypassing the wireless functionality on the Cisco"

Nowhere does he state he wants this wndr3700 to be his gateway or control his NAT, he states he wants to use its WIRELESS..

So do that then - turn off the wireless of your cisco gateway and connect your wndr3700 as an Accesspoint - there you go new wireless..

To use ANY wireless router as AP, just change its lan IP to be on your network IP, turn off its dhcp server and connect it to your network via a LAN port -- NOT its WAN port.. And there you go instant AP.

Now it will provide wireless to your network.. Connect to its IP you gave it to setup the wireless settings you want.

Cool I'll try that when I get home from work tonight. :)

While that method may work, I personally would use the WNDR3700 as my main router and bridge the modem, then you would have full control over all of the NAT/Routing/Port Forwarding options, just my 2 cents.

Sure that is one way to skin the cat.. But if he can not put his current router into bridge mode this is a way to accomplish his goal. Who says the router cisco he has does not perform will with the other features and he just needs more wireless coverage.

In using his current wndr3700 as AP, he could in fact still leverage his cisco wireless even and get more cover than only 1 devices could provide if he wanted too.

Who says he doesn't have full control over his port forwarding? I have to assume his has some access to the cisco for like changing the wireless settings turn on or off UPnP, forwarding a port he might need, etc.

Now if he is being charged a lease and does not have access to such features of the device - then sure I would highly suggest he bring his own hardware to the party. I bought my own modem couple years back because I was not going to pay $7 a month for inferior hardware.