Photo
multiple monitors cpu gpu

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 03 March 2013 - 00:14

So try switching the cables around, also make sure you reboot after swapping them around. Windows doesn't always allow you to configure your monitors properly if they weren't connected during boot, not sure if this changed with Windows 8.

This ^^

DVI-I should be the one connected to your VGA display as it can carry analogue signals

DVI-D can only carry digital

VGA is analogue

#17 OP bucko

bucko

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 March 2013 - 00:33

So try switching the cables around, also make sure you reboot after swapping them around. Windows doesn't always allow you to configure your monitors properly if they weren't connected during boot, not sure if this changed with Windows 8.

Yer I just tried switching them around. The second monitor did detect in Windows but it did not output anything (I set the correct resolution and extended the displays) but nothing however it was listed in device manager. Just kept getting no signal detected.

#18 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 03 March 2013 - 00:41

Yer I just tried switching them around. The second monitor did detect in Windows but it did not output anything (I set the correct resolution and extended the displays) but nothing however it was listed in device manager. Just kept getting no signal detected.

Are you sure the cable you are using for the VGA display is DVI-I ?

Check here
http://www.pcadvisor...d-cables-apart/

#19 nub

nub

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 March 2013 - 00:42

You're not plugging your monitor into your CPU. Your motherboard has an onboard GPU. Thus you have two separate GPUs.

Is your monitor powered on? Have you tried another monitor? or tried that monitor on another computer?

#20 OP bucko

bucko

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:04

You're not plugging your monitor into your CPU. Your motherboard has an onboard GPU. Thus you have two separate GPUs.

Is your monitor powered on? Have you tried another monitor? or tried that monitor on another computer?

I was under the impression the CPU had an on-die GPU, http://www.anandtech...-3770k-review/8 and the motherboard port was just to connect the display to it.

Yes the monitor is on, not tried another monitor but will try it on another PC to make sure it's working.

#21 droolingmonkey

droolingmonkey

Neowinian

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:06

I've had the onboard (i7) graphics and an add on gpu (560GTX) both working concurrently - I wanted to use the onbooard for mornal, unintensive windowsie stuff on one screen, and the higher stress stuff (gaming, etc) on the GPU.

It did work, but actually it caused my media center playback to stutter, even on the other screen. Went back to running them both off the graphics card and it works so so so much better. Onboard has been disabled again.

(as a note, I also have sig's hidden, as I suspect many here do, so was unable to see your specs)

#22 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:42

Nevermind.

Edited by DirtyLarry, 03 March 2013 - 01:43.

#23 nub

nub

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:30

I was under the impression the CPU had an on-die GPU, http://www.anandtech...-3770k-review/8 and the motherboard port was just to connect the display to it.

Yeah you're right. I forgot new CPUs have integrated GPUs. It just sounds weird.

#24 Vvo

Vvo

nom! nom! nom! Hug a fluffy dolphin!

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Samsung Vibrant (android 4.4.4 KK Liquidsmooth 3.2)

Posted 03 March 2013 - 17:53

the z77 has lucid virutre which enables hybrid gpu on desktops,in order to use this feature you have to plug you display cables onto the mobo and not on to the gpu