Setting local DNS server? Ubuntu 12.04

Hii guys...

I need to create a local DNS server in my office.

Here is the scenario:

- There is a development and staging website that is hosted on a remote server.

- We need to add the host file entries in everyone's system who needs to access that site.

What we need to accomplish is

- Skip to edit the host file entries on every system and instead just use the DNS server IP that will resolve the website that has a public IP and can be accessed only from our office

- Should I configure caching only DNS server OR primary and slave DNS server?

I tried configuring primary DNS server but unable to setup proper zone files. The name server is not registered anywhere. I am using dnsindia as the nameserver.

Can someone help me configuring the SOA

dnsindia.com. IN SOA dnsindia.com. root.dnsindia.com. (
[/CODE]

Can we use any name above or is there any process / restrictions?

when I use dig, the answer section returns NONE.

Even if I create a forward zone file with one of the system in my local network, the host name is not resolved.

Can someone help me with the walk through / guide that will help me configure the DNS server with bind?

So if i am reading this right you have some server you need to access, so this server is not available via the public dns? There is no name I could resolve on the internet that would point to this IP of the server.

So your creating entries in your host file to access this server?

What is this entry?

So your clients that your putting the host entry in use what for dns now? Are you going to point them at this new BIND server you want to bring up, so that you can resolve say google.com and neowin.net?

Where did this ddnsindia.com come from?? You do understand that domain is already registered on the internet and currently points here for the owning nameservers

Nameservers

NS1.DOMAINRECOVER.COM

NS2.DOMAINRECOVER.COM

Now can not see who its registered to because its whois info is listing DomainProtect, do you own this domain?

Be more than happy to walk you through how to setup bind, but not really clear on what your wanting to do.. So here is an example, lets say your server IP address you create host entries for is 192.168.1.100, and you call it www.myserver.tld

so you have a host entry like this

192.168.1.100 www.myserver.tld

Is myserver this dnsindia domain? Or something else. Lets say you point to googledns now or your isp for dns currently. Just because you bring up a BIND that is setup to own the myserver.tld zone. Your clients are not going to ask him for dns -- they are going to ask googledns or your isp, etc.

So you need to point all your computers to your bind box, then you need to setup bind resolve the zone you want myserver.tld - and also forward other queries to googledns or your isp, etc.

So No if you want to resolve www.myserver.tld it can not be a caching only server, it would have to have authoritative zones, one being the myserver.tld zone - and then either query root servers for internet domains, or forward to some other dns so you can resolve say www.neowin.net, etc.

There is nothing that wrong with that SOA statement from how you presented it - your saying the SOA for dnsindia.com is a record called root.dnsindia.com -- but that is not really true.

The current SOA for that domain is

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;dnsindia.com. IN SOA

;; ANSWER SECTION:

dnsindia.com. 86400 IN SOA ns1.domainrecover.com. dnsmaster.domainrecover.com. 2011111400 28800 7200 604800 86400

So do you own that dnsindia.com domain or not - you shouldn't just grab some random name that you don't own and try and use it. If you want to use FQDN on your local network, then use domains that are not publicly feasible, ie make up the TLD, use .lan or .local, etc. For example you could use dnsindia.lan as you domain.

• Like 2

So if i am reading this right you have some server you need to access, so this server is not available via the public dns? There is no name I could resolve on the internet that would point to this IP of the server.

So your creating entries in your host file to access this server?

What is this entry?

So your clients that your putting the host entry in use what for dns now? Are you going to point them at this new BIND server you want to bring up, so that you can resolve say google.com and neowin.net?

Where did this ddnsindia.com come from?? You do understand that domain is already registered on the internet and currently points here for the owning nameservers

Nameservers

NS1.DOMAINRECOVER.COM

NS2.DOMAINRECOVER.COM

Now can not see who its registered to because its whois info is listing DomainProtect, do you own this domain?

Be more than happy to walk you through how to setup bind, but not really clear on what your wanting to do.. So here is an example, lets say your server IP address you create host entries for is 192.168.1.100, and you call it www.myserver.tld

so you have a host entry like this

192.168.1.100 www.myserver.tld

Is myserver this dnsindia domain? Or something else. Lets say you point to googledns now or your isp for dns currently. Just because you bring up a BIND that is setup to own the myserver.tld zone. Your clients are not going to ask him for dns -- they are going to ask googledns or your isp, etc.

So you need to point all your computers to your bind box, then you need to setup bind resolve the zone you want myserver.tld - and also forward other queries to googledns or your isp, etc.

So No if you want to resolve www.myserver.tld it can not be a caching only server, it would have to have authoritative zones, one being the myserver.tld zone - and then either query root servers for internet domains, or forward to some other dns so you can resolve say www.neowin.net, etc.

There is nothing that wrong with that SOA statement from how you presented it - your saying the SOA for dnsindia.com is a record called root.dnsindia.com -- but that is not really true.

The current SOA for that domain is

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;dnsindia.com. IN SOA

;; ANSWER SECTION:

dnsindia.com. 86400 IN SOA ns1.domainrecover.com. dnsmaster.domainrecover.com. 2011111400 28800 7200 604800 86400

So do you own that dnsindia.com domain or not - you shouldn't just grab some random name that you don't own and try and use it. If you want to use FQDN on your local network, then use domains that are not publicly feasible, ie make up the TLD, use .lan or .local, etc. For example you could use dnsindia.lan as you domain.

I am very much grateful for your answers.... Thanks !!.

Entries in the host files:

66.xx.xx.84 www.myserver.tld
[/CODE]

So now, I changed the name from dnsindia.com to dnsindia.inc

I was able to setup zone file for my internal network. i.e I am able to dig / ping the internal hostnames just fine.(local IPs)

There is a website at remote location that has public IP (66.xx.xx.84)

Now when I point www.myserver.tld to public IP in zone file, it does not gets resolved.

Zone file entries as :

[CODE]
@ IN NS ns1.myserver.tld
www.myserver.tld IN A 66.xx.xx.84

[/CODE]

Do we need to include views for accessing Public IPs through local DNS?

The zone file looks fine for myserver.tld. checkzone command indicates the zone file as OK.

Please shed some light here sir

If you zone is myserver.tld

then your A record for www.myserver.tld would just be

www IN A 66.xx.xx.84

Your record is for

www.myserver.tld.myserver.tld

Why would you need to hide dnsindia.inc ?? with myserver.tld

Is that the zone your using? If you not using public domains, then there is no reason use made up stuff as examples or hide stuff.

Here are details for both the zone files::

root@dnsindia:/etc/bind# cat dnsindia.inc.db
; BIND db file for dnsindia.inc
$TTL 86400
@ IN SOA ns1.dnsindia.inc. admin.dnsindia.inc. (
2013030301 ; serial number YYMMDDNN
28800 ; Refresh
7200 ; Retry
864000 ; Expire
86400 ; Min TTL
)
NS ns1.dnsindia.inc.
MX 10 mail.dnsindia.inc.

$ORIGIN dnsindia.inc.
@ IN NS ns1.dnsindia.inc.
mail IN A 192.168.1.103
ns1 IN A 192.168.1.103
rahul IN A 192.168.1.111
[/CODE]

[CODE]
root@dnsindia:/etc/bind# cat db.mvelopes-dev.com
; Start of Authority (SOA) record
;TTL needs to be specified here too
$TTL 86400
mvelopes-dev.com. IN SOA dns.mvelopes-dev.com. root.mvelopes-dev.com. (
2013030301 ; serial # (date format)
10800 ; refresh (3 hours)
3600 ; retry (1 hour)
604800 ; expire (1 week)
86400) ; TTL (1 day)
; Mail Exchange (MX) records.
NS ns1.in2m.com.
; Address (A) records. (real-names of machines)
dns.mvelopes-dev.com. IN A 127.0.0.1
mvelopes-dev.com. IN A 66.xx.xx.84
www IN CNAME mvelopes-dev.com.
my IN CNAME mvelopes-dev.com.

apps.mvelopes-dev.com. IN A 66.xx.xx.85

[/CODE]

And what is not working?

you can't point to 127.0.0.1 - that is loopback, anyone that looks that is up is going to just point to themselves.

What are you trying to do with that NS record to ns1.in2m.com. whois domain is owned by.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS3.SINGLEEDGE.COM 63.171.8.252

NS4.SINGLEEDGE.COM 63.171.8.253

And what is not working?

you can't point to 127.0.0.1 - that is loopback, anyone that looks that is up is going to just point to themselves.

What are you trying to do with that NS record to ns1.in2m.com. whois domain is owned by.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS3.SINGLEEDGE.COM 63.171.8.252

NS4.SINGLEEDGE.COM 63.171.8.253

Thanks !! I got this working and was able to access the remote sites using my DNS server. There were some issues with the zone files which I checked with checkzone command. Zone files seems to be OK now.

in2m.com is a domain owned by our company. But can I exclude it? I don't want to use anything that is public. Everything should be private only for our company users.

I used dns.mvelopes-dev.com as loop back because any requests made to dns.mvelopes should be resolved by DNS server itself because that domain does not exists. (correct if I am wrong)

At last any suggestions or guide that you would prefer for the zone files OR DNS configuration that can enhance the performance of my DNS server.

Thanks in advance..

"I used dns.mvelopes-dev.com as loop back because any requests made to dns.mvelopes should be resolved by DNS server itself because that domain does not exists. (correct if I am wrong)"

You would point that to the IP of the dns server resolving it then, not loopback - if a client got told that the NS for mvelopes-dev.com was dns.mvelopes-dev.com and its ip address was 127.0.0.1 the client would query its OWN loopback, which would fail.

There is really no reason to include in2m.com, unless you want to have a zone for it on your own servers. Those domain servers are public already.

As to guides - none I would suggest, what I would suggest if your interested in BIND is http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596100575.do

Great book on BIND and dns in general.