After being cut from Norway, TPB returns from North Korea

The Pirate Bay is back online. Its new provider turned out to be none less than one in North Korea.

This has all sorts of interesting geopolitical consequences.

People using The Pirate Bay right now will observe that it?s slightly slower than usual.

Earlier today, the Norwegian Pirate Party sent a press release that they no longer supplied bandwidth to The Pirate Bay, as the party?s uplink had caved to threats from the copyright industry about kicking out The Pirate Bay. (This remains a concern in itself.)

Ten minutes after that article was posted, The Pirate Bay came back online with a new provider that was as-yet unidentified. The swarm has worked and discovered the origins of the new provider: North Korea.

This has all sorts of interesting geopolitical consequences.

.---

Full Story Here

LOL. The American government aren't going to have an easy time of bullying NK into giving them up.

Odd, considering how North Korea is more or less known for totally eliminating their own citizen's Freedom Of Speech.

Truly ironic in every sense of the term.

• Like 2

Odd, considering how North Korea is more or less known for totally eliminating their own citizen's Freedom Of Speech.

I think their desire to **** off America is winning out on this one.

PRESS RELEASE, NEW PROVIDER FOR TPB

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, 3 MARCH 102, ?? (PYONGYANG).

The Pirate Bay has been hunted in many countries around the world. Not for illegal activities but being persecuted for beliefs of freedom of information. Today, a new chapter is written in the history of the movement, as well as the history of the internets.

A week ago we could reveal that The Pirate Bay was accessed via Norway and Catalonya. The move was to ensure that these countries and regions will get attention to the issues at hand. Today we can reveal that we have been invited by the leader of the republic of Korea, to fight our battles from their network.

This is truly an ironic situation. We have been fighting for a free world, and our opponents are mostly huge corporations from the United States of America, a place where freedom and freedom of speech is said to be held high. At the same time, companies from that country is chasing a competitor from other countries, bribing police and lawmakers, threatening political parties and physically hunting people from our crew. And to our help comes a government famous in our part of the world for locking people up for their thoughts and forbidding access to information.

We believe that being offered our virtual asylum in Korea is a first step of this country's changing view of access to information. It's a country opening up and one thing is sure, they do not care about threats like others do. In that way, TPB and Korea might have a special bond. We will do our best to influence the Korean leaders to also let their own population use our service, and to make sure that we can help improve the situation in any way we can. When someone is reaching out to make things better, it's also ones duty to grab their hand.

Posted 40 mins ago by Kim Jung-Bay

http://thepiratebay.se/blog

Wahahahahah - sorry - wahahahahah! *sniff*

Well, they'll cut internets to NK altogether.

Now, that would just prove their point, wouldn't it?

By the way, who's they?

hypocrisy != irony. not even American irony.

North Korea, huh? Good luck to ANY legal organization, US based or other wise, trying to shut it down NOW... Seriously, they might as well just give up now. NK wants nothing to do with anyone associated with "The west"... And pretty much all of our allies, essentially anyone who cares about international law, piracy or otherwise, are considered "the west".... :-p

Now, that would just prove their point, wouldn't it?

By the way, who's they?

There's no point. Or the point is fake. TPB is both a symbol and means of "free stuff". While I firmly believe that neither the owners nor operators can be held responsible, most content indexed and searchable by TPB is illegal. On one side we have dreaming idealists, who happen to do both good and bad, on the other - rotten copyright Nazis who think that by destroying Leningrad (the symbol) they'll destroy the Red Army (public file-sharing). Neither is a sane choice to put your money on.

As for "they" - the copyright Nazis, the west. North Korea relies on Thailand company to keep their internets running. That's a single weak link. Just like Cambodia decided to rat out Warg in exchange for sh*tload of economic aid, I figure Thailand will soon be required to find pressure points to push on the company they harbor, private or no.

Just as in Mega case - one who has money and power, will win. It occured that Dotcom also had quite a lot of money and some power, but not nearly enough - he'll not hold in his choke point for long, of that I'm sure.

Cutting off another country's Internet entirely would be a big no-no and a huge political faux-pas even for governments used to getting their way by bullying.

There's no point. Or the point is fake. TPB is both a symbol and means of "free stuff". While I firmly believe that neither the owners nor operators can be held responsible, most content indexed and searchable by TPB is illegal. On one side we have dreaming idealists, who happen to do both good and bad, on the other - rotten copyright Nazis who think that by destroying Leningrad (the symbol) they'll destroy the Red Army (public file-sharing). Neither is a sane choice to put your money on.

As for "they" - the copyright Nazis, the west. North Korea relies on Thailand company to keep their internets running. That's a single weak link. Just like Cambodia decided to rat out Warg in exchange for sh*tload of economic aid, I figure Thailand will soon be required to find pressure points to push on the company they harbor, private or no.

Just as in Mega case - one who has money and power, will win. It occured that Dotcom also had quite a lot of money and some power, but not nearly enough - he'll not hold in his choke point for long, of that I'm sure.

How is the TPB operators not responsible. they know "everything" there is illegal, they openly create categories for it to make it easily searchable, they index it, they have validated uploaders who are validated for their quality illegal uploaders. They openly not only ignore takedown notices, they laugh and make fun of them like tween boys.

They are most definitely responsible. and no, TPB is NOT like the post office or the highways. it's like the pimp who cleverly deals his drugs and whos by proxy by giving the customer a key to a dropbox instead of handing the goods directly.

I'm not any good in politics and diplomacy, nor do I like to put a lot of thought in my writing. Well... ok - cutting off is a no-no. Stepping on Star JV Ltd.? Aren't they doing it all the time thus far?

As for being responsible. I'm sure the law does define such involvement as grounds for charges. But I don't support that Nazi law when applied to this case. I'm not a realist, either. Won't get a deal of a healthy discussion from me. Sorry.

Godwin's Law. And that there are artists who don't take kindly to being "protected".

Meanwhile, I wouldn't be a crap of what I'm today if not for pirated software. I feel bad about it, I do. Now that I have, I buy as much as I can afford. It's a drop in the ocean, because I live in a sh*tehole where prices are European, but wages Chinese, pardon the expressions again. Yada-yada-yada, before I'm banned for promoting piracy, because I do.

I don't put pirating photoshop and 3DSMax for learning purposes(but not for making money or such, and for editing family photos and such the cheap elements versions are enough) in the same boat as consumable entertainment such as movies, games and music. But then neither Adobe or autodesk tend to go after home user pirates.

Also artists who don't want to be protected have a million and two ways to freely release their work.

I got bad feeling bout this.... What conditions did they have to submit to? Adding a "special program" into each download so everyone can then learn about the North Korean plight?!!!

Have they found a way to turn a torrent client into a proxy for themselves for some kind future cyber warfare?

There is a million different ways I can see this can turn bad to TPB users in this arrangement...

what does protecting peoples artistic and other work have to do with nazis.

Corporate sponsored Internet goes way beyond protecting artistic work, it's a very dangerous precedent.

Corporate sponsored Internet goes way beyond protecting artistic work, it's a very dangerous precedent.

Corporate sponsored internet ? where the hell did that come from ? is companies protecting their interests and works sponsoring now ? Is arresting thieves also corporate sponsoring ?

I meant to say corporate sponsored Internet censorship. And they're not just punishing pirates with blanket takedowns, they're punishing all the people that do use these services legally (and yes, I know this fact grinds the gears of a lot of corp shills but some artists do use TPB to distribute their work).

Besides, the world != the United States of America, the rest of us have no obligation to hold up American laws.

I meant to say corporate sponsored Internet censorship. And they're not just punishing pirates with blanket takedowns, they're punishing all the people that do use these services legally (and yes, I know this fact grinds the gears of a lot of corp shills but some artists do use TPB to distribute their work).

Besides, the world != the United States of America, the rest of us have no obligation to hold up American laws.

So because a fraction of a percentage of the tab content is freely released artist works, that frees them from all responsibility.

Except there a thousand other places for them to release on, even fully legal torrent sites.