official maxis ea pc origin glassbox

1037 replies to this topic

#871 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 27 March 2013 - 23:46

And listen, lol, EA even have the audacity, the nerve, to offer the same games they pledged FREE, due to the original ****-up, @ 75% off this week!! lol, only EA.....really? WTF lol!

Makes you feel like you got a real bargain there lol :D

Seriously, please learn from this.

OMG EA is selling heavily rebated games. they so evil!!!!

wonder what you think of Valve.

#872 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 27 March 2013 - 23:59

And listen, lol, EA even have the audacity, the nerve, to offer the same games they pledged FREE, due to the original ****-up, @ 75% off this week!! lol, only EA.....really? WTF lol!

Erm...not sure why you mentioned 'pledged' when they were free, and it covered most of their catalog not just those titles.

So yeah sales are totally inane and we should mock everyone who has them.

#873 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 March 2013 - 00:19

He was way off on the reasons for multi-player though. Someone who isn't very good at the game, which at this point is the majority of players from my experience, never manage to build a city successful enough to do research, unlock all of the city hall addons, or get all production going enough to get a project done. Granted, some of these issues are caused by build in limitations like city size but the online part is required simply because of that. I still enjoy this game much more than SC4. The only thing gets annoying sometimes which I send a couple mill to friend and he doesn't get them for another 10 minutes because of slow server response though.

It doesn't take much but more helps. The issue with a ton of bus stops is that it adds traffic to the entire map that everyone has to work through coming back to a central point. Multiple schools helps prevent this a bit buy spreading out the density.

That is why prefer to start with just one, then, as the city expands, expand the number of elementary schools (or plop on additional classrooms, if I've left enough space - which is exactly what real school districts do as the needs grow). I also think *regionally* in terms of elementary schools (either northern/southern or eastern/western); if a city gets large enough, I do the same with high schools. Each city in a region will have its own University (with Dormitory and a School of either Science OR Engineering (if a regional Great Work is either planned OR in progress - a LOT of Great Works require one or the other) AND a Business School if there will be manufacturing of any sort being done. By thinking area/region (the neighborhood-school concept) you can keep traffic counts down. A city with rail lines passing through gets passenger rail stations (if the city does manufacturing, a freight depot gets plopped as well; you CAN have both on the same rail line) - commuter buses are nice, too (not instead of, but in addition to passenger rail - one option, if you also have a regional excess of power, is trolley service instead of commuter bus).

#874 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 March 2013 - 00:27

The problem with this is universities also create a TON of traffic. IF your just trying to make a city for providing money then the buses produce less traffic then the universities do. remember the students have to drive to a university unless you provide internal buses.

That is why you also plop a Dormitory (an option for the University, but NOT one for the Community College) - if you are adding one or more Schools (Business, Science, or Engineering), definitely plop the Dorm.

I usually have the University near City Hall (and Central High School) to ease commuting woes. (I leave space between the Residential and Commercial Districts for Town/City Hall, and the University - the first high school is just south of here at the edge of the primary residential area. Additional residence districts are east and west - like the wings of a phoenix.)

#875 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:13

http://www.shacknews...egy?id=29918885

"It started with the team at Maxis that had a creative vision for a multiplayer, connected, collaborative SimCity experience where your city and my city and others' were [working together]," Gibeau told Games Industry International. "The lead designers and the producers and the programmers felt like they wanted to tell us a multiplayer, cooperative city story around SimCity."

Gibeau insisted, "At no point in time did anybody say 'you must make this online.'" He added, "You don't build an MMO because you're thinking of DRM--you're building a massively multiplayer experience, that's what you're building."

The EA veteran railed against DRM pretty hard, saying "DRM is a failed dead-end strategy; it's not a viable strategy for the gaming business. So what we tried to do creatively is build an online service in the SimCity universe and that's what we sought to achieve. For the folks who have conspiracy theories about evil suits at EA forcing DRM down the throats of Maxis, that's not the case at all."

#876 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:43

Erm...not sure why you mentioned 'pledged' when they were free, and it covered most of their catalog not just those titles.

So yeah sales are totally inane and we should mock everyone who has them.

The FREE games covered most of their catalog? OK, lol, yup, whatever lol

Posted Image

#877 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:47

That is why you also plop a Dormitory (an option for the University, but NOT one for the Community College) - if you are adding one or more Schools (Business, Science, or Engineering), definitely plop the Dorm.

I usually have the University near City Hall (and Central High School) to ease commuting woes. (I leave space between the Residential and Commercial Districts for Town/City Hall, and the University - the first high school is just south of here at the edge of the primary residential area. Additional residence districts are east and west - like the wings of a phoenix.)

I have found that less is more in this game. I have 0 industry in my factory towns. The factories provide the jobs. As a result, my cities cap at 125k pop but making 2mil a month. The overall effect is less pop, less traffic, less jams, more resources moving around, more profits. What is interesting is that with a minimum amount of commercial buildings, 0 industry buildings, and nothing but factories, I still have a worker shortage. One of the reasons my setup works though is I have another neowin member playing the region with me. I get all my freight for commercial business from his factories and he leeches off my fully upgraded industries like my full nuke plant and 2 recycling centers.

That being said, we are looking for more players if anyone is interested. We have just about everything unlocked for the region other than 2 projects and oil stuff.

#878 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:08

The FREE games covered most of their catalog? OK, lol, yup, whatever lol

No, the sale did. I'm not really sure what you're trying to say.

#879 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:14

No, the sale didn't, compared to what was offered free. That's what I'm saying.

#880 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:16

No, the sale didn't. That's what I'm saying.

It did here. I have no idea what it was like for you.

#881 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:27

It did here. I have no idea what it was like for you.

So EA offered ALL the 'top' games in their catalog, for FREE?

No. They cherry picked the crap, and then shoved the same crap on 75% off deal the next week, you know, the way EA does, but just to rub it in a little more, they throw in Simcity 4, for a laugh, well, why not? Nothing like a little more salt in the wounds is there?

#882 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:31

He saying that the games offered for free should forever cost twice their original retail price...

#883 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:37

q0iEenW.png

#884 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:40

Only ever happens if you play in a "private" region with only one city, a highly unlikely scenario. In any other case the city is easy to get back into, not that you care. But yes it's an annoying bug, but as I said easy to fix.

#885 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:54

We move on :)

http://consumerist.c...er-busch-inbev/

http://consumerist.c...ica-tournament/

Make it count ;)