official maxis ea pc origin glassbox

1033 replies to this topic

#991 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 16 October 2013 - 00:40

A check-in from the front lines:

I've been doing some cross-platform play (loading cities on either PC or OS X, depending on which OS I'm running) and *this* is why server-side saving is a must.

How many games (for any OS) have different save-game formats for different operating systems?  (I don't know about you, but this has been, in fact, one of my biggest peeves about multi-platform software in general, let alone gaming - different file formats.)  Server-side saves allows for save-format abstraction - it doesn't matter what OS the game client is running.  (I have expanded my server count to a staggering nine - NA East 1-4, NA West 2-4, Test, and - don't laugh - Antarctica.  The southernmost server for Simcity obvious has a reason for being - and it's NOT a test server; that is completely separate.)  I flat out LOVE being able to pick up exactly where I left off - and have the OS I'm running not matter whatever.

#992 max22

max22

Neowinian

Posted 17 October 2013 - 00:36

PGHammer yep I like it too!

#993 max22

max22

Neowinian

Posted 24 November 2013 - 21:56

What is the most money you all had in Simcity 5?

#994 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 January 2014 - 16:56

Has anyone (else) grabbed the Cities of Tomorrow ULC?  Yes - I said ULC (for Un-Lockable Content) not DLC (Down-Loadable Content), and I said it for a reason; like quite a bit of the add-on content (Heroes and Villains, for example), it simply needs to be "switched on" (in this case, by entering the correct unlock code) as opposed to relying on the (rightly-criticized) patching process.  The process for unlocking, therefore, is identical no matter where you purchase the ULC - in my case, I purchased it via GameStop (the former Impulse e-store) for two reasons (both of which make sense) - it's cheaper than other US retailers, online or otherwise ($19.99USD), and they are *fast* - I had my unlock code within a minute, and this included the time needed to download and install the GS/Impulse client.  I took the unlock code I was given to Origin and plugged it into Redeem a Code - just like any game, DLC, or ULC.  I already had Update 9 (the rather large update that included a truckload of new regions), and we WERE told (via the Release Notes for this update) that most of it was, in fact, aimed right AT Cities of Tomorrow (though the new regions, etc., don't require it).  There's a rather good reason why , it turns out; if you have Update 9, it's simply waiting on you - to unlock Cities of Tomorrow - as you download nothing.  What redeeming that code does is tell EA "Yes - I purchased the content legally - here's the receipt." - EA then tells Origin "He/She is authorized - unlock Cities of Tomorrow."  It's a rather "sneaky" way of delivering new content - however, it's been around for years in games - it's not new (or even unique) to EA.

However, expect a fair number of "lipstick-on-pigs" snarking comments from the haters.

#995 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

Posted 18 January 2014 - 17:00

Yeah, I have it.  I like it, but I'm pretty stacked for games to play so haven't done too much in it.

#996 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 January 2014 - 22:33

Yeah, I have it.  I like it, but I'm pretty stacked for games to play so haven't done too much in it.

I understand that - the only reason I have time to explore this content is that I'm in a temporary lull between repairs (of other folks' computers).

Still, once you do, like Heroes and Villains, there are two sides to the conflict.

There's the Academy (MaxisMan) the technovators, and then there's OmegaCo (Dr. Vu), the polluters and pushers of Tech Addiction.  Going either way does NOT stop you from adding the other side to the conflict - in either a city OR a region - no more than plopping MaxisManor stopped you from adding Vu Tower, or vice versa.  (It's entirely possible to have OmegaCo, the Academy, MaxisManor, and Vu Tower in the same city - but whatever for?)

And "futurizing" a city triggers some interesting things at the "tipping point" (generally, if you reach eighty-five percent or more of the city area - Academy, ControlNet, and OmegaCo-related structures ALL push the futurization curve; in the case of the Academy, this even includes civic structures, like parks).  The change in the school busses is not even the most striking (yes - the busses DO change - from the old-style Crowns to almost clones of the Daimler/Thomas Saf-T-Liner C2) - the biggest change is in (don't laugh) the garbage trucks that cart the trash to the Atomizer (which, appropriately, is an add-on to the Garbage Dump).

I haven't done any video capturing myself - yet; however, there's plenty of it on YouTube (for the curious).

#997 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

Posted 18 January 2014 - 23:58

Well, rather I played a bunch of it the first day I had it, but then I just went to do other things.

I've been waiting for my new computer to do much aside from Warframe with friends and State of Decay heh :)

#998 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 January 2014 - 16:21

Well, rather I played a bunch of it the first day I had it, but then I just went to do other things.

I've been waiting for my new computer to do much aside from Warframe with friends and State of Decay heh :)

As I said in my earlier post, I don't fault you for that.

Cities of Tomorrow is a bit more graphically intensive, and not just a little bit, either - it gets tempting to turn the detail UP to savor the holo-signage, and not just on the MegaTowers, either.

No previous version of ANY city-building game had even caught up to SimCity (the core game) in terms of graphical goodness - I pointed out THAT detail back during the second closed beta.  Apparently, despite the criticism over the bungled launch, always-online requirement, etc., Maxis STILL found time (and methodology) to crank the Graphical Goodness Capability Meter up to 11 .  And it didn't take a MegaTower (or even the Academy) to whack me over the head with a Clue-By-Four, either.

In Cites of Tomorrow, holo-signage is darn near everywhere - and as I said before, not just the MegaTowers.  It's on commercial buildings, factories - it's even featured with parks. (There are three "future" park structures - the Excitatorium, AR Sports, and Millenium Park )  There's even a Challenge where these new structures (it's actually easiest to use the parks) play a major role - if I can wangle my way to getting suitable HARDWARE capture gear, I may actually feature it in a YT video, since nobody else has so far - my currently low streaming/capture settings are due to my not being able to capture at desktop resolution currently.

#999 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 January 2014 - 17:15

I have a new PUBLIC sandbox region on the Europe West 1 server (Neomasters Europe Two) - bring your creativity and your manufacturing! (PGHammer20607B on Origin)

#1000 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

#MalcolmYoungStayStrong

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 08 February 2014 - 18:12

Quick question for SC2013 vets; what happens to private regions/towns you abandon? Are they gone forever or do they turn into "ghost" regions that no one can ever claim?

#1001 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:10

Quick question for SC2013 vets; what happens to private regions/towns you abandon? Are they gone forever or do they turn into "ghost" regions that no one can ever claim?

Gone forever.  You have to rebuild them as new private regions or towns.

#1002 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

#MalcolmYoungStayStrong

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:15

Gone forever.  You have to rebuild them as new private regions or towns.

Yeah I did a few tests and came to that conclusion  shortly after posting but thanks for confirming it (Y)

#1003 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 18 March 2014 - 15:06

Update 10 with the offline mode has been released: http://www.theverge....eased-update-10

#1004 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 March 2014 - 21:13

Update 10 with the offline mode has been released: http://www.theverge....eased-update-10

Yes - this feature was first confirmed (by Lucy Bradshaw) back with the release of Update 8 (pre-Cities of Tomorrow, in other words).

Because this is a free update, it does NOT require Cities of Tomorrow (sensible, as CoT is ULC that was actually included as part of Update 9), and it will work with it.

I've started my first offline region (yes, you can do whole regions offline) as what I call my Ultimate Offline Sandbox.

#1005 OP +TruckWEB

TruckWEB

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 March 2014 - 21:29

Limited region size is still my biggest complain about Simcity...  Offline was never a big problem for me.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!