official maxis ea pc origin glassbox

1037 replies to this topic

#1036 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 19 July 2014 - 15:07

It's still £10 to buy. I'll wait for it to be around £5.

#1037 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 21 July 2014 - 00:59

So I had my first couple of hours with this yesterday.

After being forced to watch some sort of video (man I hate that!), and going through some never-ending tutorial, I finally got to building my own "city".

However I am not sure I should get into it.  I love the updated graphics, water and electric follow roads but there are so many things that aren't quite right :/

Zoning for instance is good as you only have the one type.  But then I never know how far apart to space my roads.  I want to maximise the amount of houses being built but ended up with huge gaps everywhere.  When building roads, it turned out that I had build a number of them wonky, which also led to a large gap.

My town was crying out for commercial, yet the commercial area was moaning they had no customers.  I only built a trading hub near the end of my game, which seemed to help the industrial sector, but I don't know now if I should build another area for water, power, garbage collection, then build my town and buy stuff from the one next door.

I can see how EA are desperate to "share" and "play neighbours" but the one single factor that will drive me away from this game is the "city" limit... as nearly everyone has mentioned.

However it won't be long until Train Fever is out, which looks to be a modern version of Traffic Giant, which is a fun game.... (I never really got on with Cities in Motion).

I use commercial as either a buffer between residential and industrial, or I checkerboard it alongside residential and have an unzoned area between it and industrial.  Putting residential alongside industrial is ALWAYS a Bad Idea  - which all versions of Simcity would punish you for.  Some municipal services (like the city dump and sewage) SHOULD go in the industrial area (which should be, naturally, upwind of the residential area).  Industry IS needed - like it or not; how MUCH industry is the real question.

Mountains/valleys are a major barrier to early rapid population growth - however, they also tend to be resource-rich (useful if you are going to roll heavy with manufacturing OR Omega); just don't plan on such an area having a big population.

#1038 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:21

So I had my first couple of hours with this yesterday.

After being forced to watch some sort of video (man I hate that!), and going through some never-ending tutorial, I finally got to building my own "city".

However I am not sure I should get into it.  I love the updated graphics, water and electric follow roads but there are so many things that aren't quite right :/

Zoning for instance is good as you only have the one type.  But then I never know how far apart to space my roads.  I want to maximise the amount of houses being built but ended up with huge gaps everywhere.  When building roads, it turned out that I had build a number of them wonky, which also led to a large gap.

My town was crying out for commercial, yet the commercial area was moaning they had no customers.  I only built a trading hub near the end of my game, which seemed to help the industrial sector, but I don't know now if I should build another area for water, power, garbage collection, then build my town and buy stuff from the one next door.

I can see how EA are desperate to "share" and "play neighbours" but the one single factor that will drive me away from this game is the "city" limit... as nearly everyone has mentioned.

However it won't be long until Train Fever is out, which looks to be a modern version of Traffic Giant, which is a fun game.... (I never really got on with Cities in Motion).

Sir Topham - there is a diagram that you can follow when doing road layout (it is, in fact, the default) - did you turn it off?

I use high-end water towers (they cost minimally more than the basic sort AND they help "futurize" the city) - sewage and all power generation - including wind, though it doesn't pollute except for being an eyesore - go in the industrial area; the same applies to the city dump.

As you "futurize", some city facilities and services gain upgrades/augmentations - such as the garbage atomizer for the city dump; naturally, if you have the Academy, such upgrades are researchable.

MegaTowers and the Academy - this tag-team relies on ControlNet for maximized leverage; site one ControlNet facility per MegaTower at a minimum.  If you have a MegaCluster (two or more Towers grouped together/connected), put ControlNet facilities in the Cluster as well.  Also, ALWAYS put Education Services floors in every Tower.

Public Regions  - Do you have both an Academy AND OmegaCO in your region? Park Drone Hangars and ControlNet Facilities in your city until you can grow your own Academy.  Then you can re-use the ControlNet facilities, and retire the Drones

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!