12-Year-Old Dies After Fight On PA School Playground

A suburban Philadelphia sixth-grader has died weeks after he suffered injuries in a fight at school, as authorities probe whether he may have been bullied.

Family members say Bailey O'Neill died after being taken off life support Sunday morning, a day after he turned 12.

He had suffered a concussion, a broken nose and other injuries during the encounter with another boy at Darby Township School, in suburban Philadelphia, on Jan. 10. He later began having seizures, and doctors induced a coma.

Bailey told his mother, Jina Risoldi, that he had been at recess when the boy, who was taller, challenged him to a fight.

Risoldi said last month that her son declined to fight, saying he was worried about being suspended. She said a boy then pushed him from behind and he was struck in the head about five times.

more

Prision, I don't care if the boy is too young, there are always guys like that that bully other kids because they want/can do it.

• Like 1

That kids a bitch, hitting someone from behind is about as low as it gets, specially after the other kid wanted nothing to do with it. Screw bullies.

Also where were the teachers? I always had teachers supervising recess..

Also where were the teachers? I always had teachers supervising recess..

Try reading the entire article.

"Risoldi said school security and a teacher rushed in to break it up."

Here's another thought: Teach your kids ways to protect themselves. I sure wish someone had taught me when I was that age.

Empowering people is much better than coddling.

Here's another thought: Teach your kids ways to protect themselves. I sure wish someone had taught me when I was that age.

I did read the article.

It indicates a teacher was not present in supervising the kids on the playground in that one had to be sought out in order to break up the fight. Indicating that no one was watching them.

I did read the article.

It indicates a teacher was not present in supervising the kids on the playground in that one had to be sought out in order to break up the fight. Indicating that no one was watching them.

Right....blame others always.

Have you even tried supervising a playground in a school? Keep an eye on ALL kids running around?

Even if a teacher was present, there were probably dozens of kids in recess at the time. It's a good bet the teacher wouldn't have noticed until it was too late anyways.

Not much you can do about someone hitting you from behind when you don't see it coming... The boy turned down the fight in fear of getting suspended from school and got pushed and hit 5 times walking away. Whether he was taught how to protect himself or not does not matter maybe he was you don't know.

The fault is clearly the bullies. A push and 5 hits happens real fast. Nothing anyone could of done. If you want to find someone else to blame you might could put some of it on bad parenting but who knows.

If it was my kid i would probably end up doing something stupid out of anger like beating the crap out of that bully and go to jail.

Right....blame others always.

Have you even tried supervising a playground in a school? Keep an eye on ALL kids running around?

Who the hell is talking about blame here? I only simply stated that no one was present maybe if someone was there it would have had a different outcome. Who knows.

Clearly the teachers need firearms.

Who the hell is talking about blame here? I only simply stated that no one was present maybe if someone was there it would have had a different outcome. Who knows.

Well, "someone" WAS there and broke them up. So what were you talking about again?

Clearly the teachers need firearms.

Kids need firearms, and teachers.

/s

Well, "someone" WAS there and broke them up. So what were you talking about again?

Kids need firearms, and teachers.

/s

Someone had to get them to break them up, they were not there/around in the first place. That's the point I was trying to make. When a teacher was found the damage to the poor kid was already done.

Someone had to get them to break them up, they were not there/around in the first place. That's the point I was trying to make. When a teacher was found the damage to the poor kid was already done.

That's what I was asking you: Have you ever tried supervising a school playground during recess.

Do you really think you have the ability of hawk-eye and mind-reading tricks to PREVENT this from happening?

That's what I was asking you: Have you ever tried supervising a school playground during recess.

Do you really think you have the ability of hawk-eye and mind-reading tricks to PREVENT this from happening?

I never said that I did , Its a shoulda coulda woulda situation.

Of course. Hindsight is 20/20, right?

Let it go man holy hell, what else do you want, I'm out of this conversation. Way to screw up the thread.

Let it go man holy hell, what else do you want, I'm out of this conversation. Way to screw up the thread.

It looks like YOU started this.

I was simply trying to tell you that, even with supervision, nobody can fully prevent this from happening. And of course they (teachers/security) have to be sought out even if they ARE PRESENT at the playground.

It is a tragic event, but please don't let your emotion overtake your logic.