Posted 05 April 2013 - 13:38

More Oculus Rift demos:

Team Fortress 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P50fvL_EWYY

Tuscany demo with the Razer Hydra for positional tracking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQK48duvld0

Tuscany demo with the Razer Hydra for virtual hands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07IwxUD8N8E

Second revision of the Oculus Rift Devkit coming later this year - http://www.pcper.com...Oculus-Rift-ECS

#4 compl3x

compl3x

One day until retirement

• 7,293 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 05 April 2013 - 15:18

idk if this kind of stuff will really take off. It's cool technologically, but is it practical for gaming?

#5 Dreamspell

Dreamspell

Neowinian

• 253 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 720

Posted 05 April 2013 - 15:34

idk if this kind of stuff will really take off. It's cool technologically, but is it practical for gaming?

For racing and flying games it will be practical, or any game/experience that has you sitting in a cockpit/chair. As has been said in various interviews, new types of experiences will need to be developed with VR in mind.

Omni-directional treadmills are also coming in the future such as the Virtuix Omni:

#6 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

• 4,138 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 15:48

Dont see why not. Might be a bit squi-wiff on games with unusual control schemes, but other than that.....

#7 compl3x

compl3x

One day until retirement

• 7,293 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 05 April 2013 - 21:32

I can just see people stumbling around their lounge rooms now. Tripping over the coffee tables or having their ****ed mates put their feet out to trip you up.

It also seems like it would make you feel sick and disorientated pretty quickly.

And didn't Sony already release their 3D headset? Nobody bought that ****. IDK who will be willing to buy this.

#8 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,328 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 21:37

VR heasets with full tracking has been around since like 2000, they've never taken off because they're low res and they don't really work very well.

#9 Dreamspell

Dreamspell

Neowinian

• 253 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 21:48

I can just see people stumbling around their lounge rooms now. Tripping over the coffee tables or having their ****ed mates put their feet out to trip you up.

It also seems like it would make you feel sick and disorientated pretty quickly.

And didn't Sony already release their 3D headset? Nobody bought that ****. IDK who will be willing to buy this.

The Sony HMZ-T1 headset's FOV is only 45 degrees, while the Rift is 110 degrees, a huge difference. You can indeed get sick because the brain won't understand what's going on since the eyes see one thing, and the inner ear feels another. The same thing happens with pilots who fly fighter jets, or even sailing causing sea-sickness. Thankfully the human body can adapt to such things, all it takes is time, but also depends on the user. The sensors in the Rift have very low latency so it is less likely that you will get motion sickness

Thousands of people have ordered the devkit, which you can still get for $300 on their website.

VR heasets with full tracking has been around since like 2000, they've never taken off because they're low res and they don't really work very well.

It's a good thing that cellphone displays are pushing the technological boundaries for resolution and PPI. The current Rift devkit has a 7 inch screen running at 1280 x 800, which is not very good. The next revision of the devkit will hopefully have a 5 inch screen running at 1080p.

#10 Dreamspell

Dreamspell

Neowinian

• 253 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 15:19

HMD Virtual World with Kinect for projecting self into virtual world, and handheld controller for holding virtual objects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0-dsbeasgA

#11 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• 2,101 posts
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 06 April 2013 - 15:34

Suddenly 3d screens are obsolete... that looks amazing!

#12 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• 3,440 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 16:03

I don't have much time for games these days, but pr0n...

#13 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 17:10

I reckon I could live in a VR world for a few hours / days / weeks......

When I was younger (probably about 15-20 years ago now) there was a shop in the town that had a circular platform, they let you wear a headset similar to the Rift and play around in a virtual world too, exactly what they are showing off here except inside a circular platform, you could look around with your real head and it moved in-game as it does with this, then nothing at all for all these years and suddenly its back, in about the same stage as it was back then, only now we have it connected to a PC instead of a big shop based environment

#14 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,328 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 17:18

Shortly after that there was several consumer VR headsets you could use on your PC as well. they looked sleeker than this in fact, they had the similar vision thing at the front and a sensor package at the back for balance since they where quite heavy.

But no one wanted them and they faded away.

#15 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,520 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 06 April 2013 - 17:22

I would have to see one and test it to see if it impresses me enough before I throw $300.00 on it. If it works on Battlefield and Team Fortress, then I am happy.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!