Dead Space 4 ---- gone.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 Aaron Olive

Aaron Olive

2011 27" iMac

• 1,444 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 00:02

The problem was they turned it into a generic action shooter and removed all elements of horror.

The horror element wasn't removed, it's just that our mindset is already prepared and know what to expect for a 3rd time, Necromorphs jumping out of the vents, stuff possibly jumping down behind you etc, once you get use to things it's not new anymore. Dead Space 3 was an enjoyable game in my opinion and the story did suffer some stupid writing though.

#17 Motoko.

Motoko.

Neowinian Senior

• 4,767 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 00:04

The horror element wasn't removed, it's just our mindset is already prepared and know what to expect for a 3rd time, Necromorphs jumping out of the vents, stuff possibly jumping down behind you etc, once you get use to things it's not new anymore.

THe horror element was dulled down, immensely..

DS3 felt like it concentrated efforts as a shooter

#18 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,844 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 07 March 2013 - 00:07

The horror element wasn't removed, it's just our mindset is already prepared and know what to expect for a 3rd time, Necromorphs jumping out of the vents, stuff possibly jumping down behind you etc, once you get use to things it's not new anymore.

Too many action cut scenes with huge explosions, the enemy didn't even try and be sneaky or go for the shock factor of making you jump. I jumped a bit sometimes in the earlier games when supposedly dead enemies would leap to life when you walked over them. They make annoying noises that might have been scary hearing it a little bit in the distance, but no they constantly make the noise while they slowly jog towards you. I never once came anywhere near running out of ammo, the fact that ammo is universal now made sure of that. And I ran around never with fewer than 10 health packs at all times. All element of danger or fear was removed because in EAs books, generic shooters with explosions sell well completely ignoring the fact that people don't buy Dead Space for that experience.

I still remember stumbling around with close to zero health in Dead Space 1, dreading encountering an enemy because I only had 2 shots. The atmosphere was incredible.

#19 matt4444

matt4444

Neowinian

• 326 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 00:07

http://www.eurogamer...-space-3-report

EA have said it was a false story and have accused them of fabricating the story.

I loved Dead Space 1, very scary. Dead Space 2, meh. Have yet to play 3.

#20 billyea

billyea

Your Two Cents

• 2,049 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 00:09

This rumor is still being hotly debated on reddit, and the conclusion so far seems to be "we don't know if DS4 is halted yet and we don't have sufficient evidence to call it"

#21 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,664 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 00:11

So if the article is true EA want's the game to become everything it's not known for? Why make the game like Mass Effect when Mass Effect is already under one of their brands? Doesn't make sense.

#22 syobon999

syobon999

Neowinian

• 373 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 00:21

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

#23 freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

• 2,138 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 18:42

New DLC trailer is out!!! Loving it!!!! :)

#24 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

• 1,733 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 18:47

So if the article is true EA want's the game to become everything it's not known for? Why make the game like Mass Effect when Mass Effect is already under one of their brands? Doesn't make sense.

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite comment on the Interwebs!

#25 freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

• 2,138 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 18:51

This is why I think the rumor was pure bull

#26 briangw

briangw

The best damn band in the land!!!

• 3,432 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 07 March 2013 - 19:02

http://www.bluesnews...-patently-false

#27 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

• 2,727 posts
  • Phone: Driod Razr

Posted 07 March 2013 - 21:17

It's sad that my favorite past time is continually having its innovation and great series killed off simply because those games in question aren't instant multi-million dollar profit machines.

Dead Space was a great survival horror game. Probably the best since Resident Evil 2. And yet EA has consistently stripped the sequels of everything that made the first one great, and then wonder why it doesn't sell well. I didn't buy the second or third one because of the lack of direction/focus. The addition of micro-transactions was the last straw.

I will never support such obvious abusive cash-grab tactics. Good job EA.

To be fair, Dead Space 2 wasn't that bad. It had a lot of what the first game had and arguably one of the most surreal moments in the series (returning to the Ishimura).

#28 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• 18,267 posts
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:16

I think all horror games out there lose a strop with each new version because you know what to expect the 2nd and 3rd time around. I think the same is true for most games which is why by the 3rd the developers try to change things up and you get die hard fans complaining about it.

The resident evil games are another example of horror turning into more of a action game later on. The game that scared me the most to date is still the original fatal frame, the next two not so much.

#29 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• 4,856 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 19:04

I think all horror games out there lose a strop with each new version because you know what to expect the 2nd and 3rd time around. I think the same is true for most games which is why by the 3rd the developers try to change things up and you get die hard fans complaining about it.

True, but I think you should still try to stay true to the strong points of the first installments that were exactly what made them successful. I might still not like the new elements, but as long as you are trying to do something interesting it's fair.

Going down the route of generic shooters on the other hand is cheap and not worth of any kind of appreciation.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!