hp MSM760 - So Many Issues

Hi,

We have an MSM760 at one of our locations... I've been trying for over a year to figure out how to create a guest network. I can't get it working at all... no matter what I've tried.

The manual on HP's site is for the Colubris 2000 series, not the MSM760. The links are different, and nothing seems to work properly.

It's talking about ingress and egress vlans... I'm not even sure what that means. All I know is basic Layer-2 and some Layer-3 vLAN setups.

I have a deadline now of next week. I've tried researching online, but all I can find are either forum posts referencing using 802.1x and RADIUS (which we don't have a RADIUS server) and Free Access (I've tried with AD instead of RADIUS, I just get error messages with this), or are in total broken English. I barely know anything about these systems as it is... broken English combined with terms I don't really understand doesn't help me. I configured guest access on a Cisco system in a matter of minutes... this seems almost impossible.

What do I do?????

Thanks for the help!

Mike

Not sure where your looking for the manual

http://h20000.www2.h...1&printver=true

But the manuals here is clearly for the msm7xx series http://bizsupport2.a...3/c03522633.pdf

This document describes how to configure and manage the MSM7xx Controllers. This document applies to the MSM710, E-MSM720, MSM760, and MSM765zl Controllers.

Without some details of how your network is setup, its difficult to try and help you create a guest network.

Network Setup:

hp Procurve 2910-24g Layer 3 Switch - Primary switch

Vlan 1 - VW

Vlan 2 - Audi

Vlan 3 - WiFi

Vlan 4 - Voice

MSM760 has LAN port attached to Vlan 3 and WAN port on Vlan 1. Vlan 1 routes through Fortigate firewall to static Verizon DSL. 30AP's connected via Vlan 3.

I set it up this way because if I kept the AP's on the WAN network (or Vlan 1) I would have run out of IP addresses.

Is there something simple like an ACL that hp has? Literally took me 5 minutes to configure the Cisco AP's in another location using ACL's.

Also, that configuration guide doesn't help. It mentions RADIUS. I know I can use IAS with Windows Server 2003 to authenticate against AD, but I have no clue how to even set that up. The only place I've ever worked with RADIUS is Mac OS Server and Airport Extreme access points.

Edit: I forgot to mention this... My COO does NOT want any type of 802.1x authentication. He wants every store to have the same WPA key. I've argued this from a security stand point 100x over, but it is what it is... I can't change it.

So you had a cisco wlan controller and you created a different vlan for your guests?

Our guest network is on a different vlan.

Or are you saying your created a guest wlan and they are all on the same vlan? Where you you creating ACLs to prevent access from that vlan to your other segments?

I don't have any exp with this controller - so would have to look over the manual. But your ACLs for your vans should happen at your core switch or your router/firewall. You would put your guests on a different wlan and different vlan if you want to allow some wireless to access your vlan 1 and 2 for example. If all you want is wireless to be internet access only then you can just use 1 vlan.

But again you would control what this vlan has access to at your core switch or firewall/router.

I can, but the MSM760 handles VLAN's differently. The Procurve 2910 is like a glorified version of IOS. Same interface... but the VLANS from both won't interface... i've tried.

On the Cisco they're all the same VLAN with different SSID's, but I used an ACL at the controller.

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys,

Well I need help on to bind Cisco access point with HP MSM 760 Controller over the public internet. HP MSM760 is having public IP and Access point will connect to Controller. 

I am trying to run the following command in cisco AP 

lwapp ap controller ip address x.x.x.x

but its not getting bind. and I am bit confuse that will HP controller supports lwapp protocol or not. If not how Cisco AP will get bind to HP controller. 

Need your help. 

Regards,

Raj