reddit user tipping pizza

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#46 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,640 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 22:23

never understood this "tip" thing, must be an North American cultural thing. Anyways, if the job pays badly it shouldn't be the consumer to pay the rest of the salary of the worker in a form of a tip; that's wrong and the companies are taking advantage of that. I mean, 10% for a tip? That's a commission, not a tip.

#47 DClark

DClark

Neowinian

• 1,016 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 22:32

Employers in the US are getting away with treating employees like dirt.

As if employees do not have the option to be of the employ of someone who doesn't treat them like dirt. The labour market is finite - i.e. there is a limited amount of people available to work. Minimum wage laws give the illusion of do-goodery, only to create unemployment for those who have skills worthy less than the minimum wage, creating a barrier of entry for them to garner new skills that would have earned them wages equal to or greater than minimum wage.

#48 Doli

Doli

Goo ball

• 7,453 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 22:34

I would not feel bad if the guy was fired for posting this information online (cant be that hard to find it since it made the TV news). Its not really good for business if employees are going to be posting receipts because they didn't like their tip. Someone ****ed off is just going to post a full receipt someday with the customer's name and people are going to look that person up and be a**holes.

#49 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,829 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 22:39

I would not feel bad if the guy was fired for posting this information online (cant be that hard to find it since it made the TV news). Its not really good for business if employees are going to be posting receipts because they didn't like their tip. Someone ****ed off is just going to post a full receipt someday with the customer's name and people are going to look that person up and be a**holes.

I believe the lady that recieved the tip "god doesnt get 18%, why should you" got fired for posting it. Was an article posted about it.

#50 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,023 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 07 March 2013 - 22:49

As if employees do not have the option to be of the employ of someone who doesn't treat them like dirt. The labour market is finite - i.e. there is a limited amount of people available to work. Minimum wage laws give the illusion of do-goodery, only to create unemployment for those who have skills worthy less than the minimum wage, creating a barrier of entry for them to garner new skills that would have earned them wages equal to or greater than minimum wage.

Even those on minimum wage often struggle to get by, so people earning less won't be able to make ends meet. Allowing people to earn less than the minimum wage isn't the solution to unemployment.

#51 HoochieMamma

HoochieMamma

Professional Hoochie™

• 8,793 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 07 March 2013 - 22:54

And you live in a "Normal" country...? :s

More normal then your wonderful country that thinks $3 an hour is fine. :/

#52 rippleman

rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,650 posts
  • Phone: s4

Posted 07 March 2013 - 22:58

Tipping is a terrible assumption. If I owned a eating establishment, I would have large signs saying "NO TIPPING" and build it into the price.

#53 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:07

Tipping is a terrible assumption. If I owned a eating establishment, I would have large signs saying "NO TIPPING" and build it into the price.

That's a noble sentiment but the food industry is a cut throat industry and you might not be open long if you can't compete. There is a reason they underpay the staff.

#54 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,627 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:46

I know around here they make it a point of saying "delivery fees do not go to the driver". I assume it goes to maintaining the vehicles and related insurance.

I doubt it. Most delivery drivers have to use their own car and insurance. For some they even have to pay for their own gas.

The delivery fee is just a way for companies like pizza hut and dominos to make extra money.

That's a noble sentiment but the food industry is a cut throat industry and you might not be open long if you can't compete. There is a reason they underpay the staff.

There is a reason, and it's companies care more about their bottom line than their employees. Millions of restaurants around the world and even in the states that don't allow tip credit survive just fine.

#55 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• 4,739 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:51

nobody would work for you,and your prices would be seen too high. double fail.

#56 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,627 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:02

nobody would work for you,and your prices would be seen too high. double fail.

Sigh. There are states in America where you can't underpay your workers, and guess what the prices aren't really all that different. Companies don't cut prices because their costs went down. If people were willing to pay $10 for a burger when it cost $8 to make it, they'll still be willing to pay $10 for it when the cost drops to $4.

#57 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• 16,884 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:19

Tips are what delivery people rely on to make a decent wage. Not sure what is so hard to understand about this fact.
I don't care if your country does not tip. In the United States, it is how things are set up.
I am not saying this as I believe this person deserved a $100 tip.
I am saying it because I am blown away by the amount of people in this thread trying to justify not tipping whatsoever, again, in the United States, which it is known by those of us who live here, none of these people usually even get minimum wage.

Fine, I get why foreigners may not grasp the concept, they have very different systems where gratuities are usually built in to the bill and their service oriented jobs make at least minimum wage. But if you are an American and can sit here and say these people do not deserve at the very least a 10% tip (and 10% is actually being a cheap ass person), you are in my book the lowest of the low.

I will end this with saying Karma is indeed a bitch. What comes around goes around. If you are one of those Americans who do not feel the need to tip, then you are also one of those Americans that get the special secret sauce on your pizza. Here is a hint for you, it is not tomato sauce.

#58 Garnet H.

Garnet H.

astropheed

• 1,620 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:50

$10 is fine. He deserves $0 now for even mentioning it. Tips are not supposed to be just a thing you do, it's because they deserve it.
Carrying 85 pizza's from your work to your car and then from your car to their house deserves about 10 bucks... most people make less than that for an hour of manual labor. If you don't like it, quit.

#59 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,347 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:09

Even in Canada, tipping for pizza delivery is customary. The amount is entirely up to the person. I usually tip a couple of dollars for a single medium or large pizza. This guy delivered 85 pizzas so he deserved to receive more than $10. Some people said they would've tipped $20 to $30 and that's an extremely generous amount from just one person. What I would have done is is collected $1 for every pizza and possibly even throw in a $10 or $20 myself.

#60 arachnoid

arachnoid

Times a Ticking

• 3,191 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:22

So again people keep mentioning living off of tips why of why should any one have to survive on gratitude,pay them a decent minimum wage and if tips come in on top of that so they did a good service.You have got to remember not all low paid jobs are in the service sector dealing with the public they could be cleaners or cooks in the same shop who get no tips at all.
Again its company's profiteering on the back of virtual slave labour and racking in profits due to the kindness of customers who make up employees wages to what they should be paid.If a pizza costs $10 to make and serve then charge 30-50% on top for profit and pay a proper wage to your employees.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!