Delivery Guy Gets 10 Dollar Tip for 85 Pizzas

Tips are what delivery people rely on to make a decent wage. Not sure what is so hard to understand about this fact.

I don't care if your country does not tip. In the United States, it is how things are set up.

I am not saying this as I believe this person deserved a $100 tip.

I am saying it because I am blown away by the amount of people in this thread trying to justify not tipping whatsoever, again, in the United States, which it is known by those of us who live here, none of these people usually even get minimum wage.

Fine, I get why foreigners may not grasp the concept, they have very different systems where gratuities are usually built in to the bill and their service oriented jobs make at least minimum wage. But if you are an American and can sit here and say these people do not deserve at the very least a 10% tip (and 10% is actually being a cheap ass person), you are in my book the lowest of the low.

I will end this with saying Karma is indeed a bitch. What comes around goes around. If you are one of those Americans who do not feel the need to tip, then you are also one of those Americans that get the special secret sauce on your pizza. Here is a hint for you, it is not tomato sauce.

Whether it's embedded into your culture or not is entirely irrelevant. Unless it is the law, then it is entirely the customer's decision whether to tip or not. If they don't want to tip, why the hell should they? It is not the customer's responsibility to pay the delivery driver's wage, that is the company's job. Propagating a stupid 'you must tip' culture does not make it any less stupid.

Ouch. Forgotten how expensive food is in the UK. That's around $24 for a pizza.

Can get an 18 inch supreme pizza here for $9.95 (around 6-7 pounds).

There are some local restaurants around here that make really nice pizzas and they're a lot cheaper than that. It's mainly the massive companies like Dominoes and Papa John's that charge so much!

I am a waitress, and have done this line of work in addition to my career in the medical field. There is no LAW that states you HAVE tip...When I started working as a waitress almost 30 years ago the wage was $2.01 per hour, now it's $2.23 per hour. It is a way for the owner's of these resteraunts to get out of paying servers...I know this, and it is my choice to work as a waitress. I sympathize completely with other servers that only have this job as their source of income because of the pressure it puts on them, but I don't EXPECT people to tip. I give everyone excellent service and always manage to make great money. My customers are my income, therefore I treat them as if they were my employer.

This was mention in the comments from that site^^

• Like 2

Whether it's embedded into your culture or not is entirely irrelevant. Unless it is the law, then it is entirely the customer's decision whether to tip or not. If they don't want to tip, why the hell should they? It is not the customer's responsibility to pay the delivery driver's wage, that is the company's job. Propagating a stupid 'you must tip' culture does not make it any less stupid.

Perhaps I was not clear enough. I was not arguing whether it was right or wrong. My point was if you know this is how it is, and you do not tip, you are a scumbag. Pretty simple.

There are plenty of things I do not agree with, yet I still do them either out of respect or courtesy. So if you are one of those people that feels the world only revolves around your feelings, and how you feel things should be, again, you are a scumbag.

Hope that cleared it up for you.

• Like 2

Perhaps I was not clear enough. I was not arguing whether it was right or wrong. My point was if you know this is how it is, and you do not tip, you are a scumbag. Pretty simple.

There are plenty of things I do not agree with, yet I still do them either out of respect or courtesy. So if you are one of those people that feels the world only revolves around your feelings, and how you feel things should be, again, you are a scumbag.

Hope that cleared it up for you.

I beg to differ. Whilst it is wrong that companies can pay their employees such a low wage, expecting the wage to be made up by customers paying tips is probably the worst solution I can think of.

Even if I knew somebody was only making $3 an hour I wouldn't necessarily tip them, and if they gave me any attitude I'd complain. Any anger at me would be misplaced; they need to get angry at the disgusting companies that can get away with paying a pittance.

Who is the real scumbag? Me, the person who decides not to pay an OPTIONAL tip, or the company paying an employee much less than what their services are actually worth?

It's a mild form of extortion. Everyone knows what happens to your food the next time you go somewhere where you did not tip. It's a protection racket done by 20 year old girls instead of neckless thugs.

"Nice pasta you got there. Would be a shame if something... happened... to it."

• Like 2

I beg to differ. Whilst it is wrong that companies can pay their employees such a low wage, expecting the wage to be made up by customers paying tips is probably the worst solution I can think of.

Even if I knew somebody was only making $3 an hour I wouldn't necessarily tip them, and if they gave me any attitude I'd complain. Any anger at me would be misplaced; they need to get angry at the disgusting companies that can get away with paying a pittance.

Who is the real scumbag? Me, the person who decides not to pay an OPTIONAL tip, or the company paying an employee much less than what their services are actually worth?

Oh I get it. You are sticking to the man huh? That still does not change the fact that the companies are first off doing it because they can. Your protesting the company does nothing AT ALL to hurt that company, and you are only hurting the delivery person who is trying to make a decent living.

So okay, you do not tip the person (and by the way it goes without saying people only get tips when they do they're job properly) to get back at the company is what you are saying, Correct? The simplest of arguments would be why should that person who is only trying to make a decent living be the one to pay for the company exactly? If it is your beef with the company, it would make more sense not to do business AT ALL with that company, not screw over the employee just trying to make a living.

But wait, how stupid of me, that's right. of course the counter point to it all is if you do not tip the driver, their company is forced to pay them minimum wage right? So the driver should he happy right?

Well unfortunately, it is the employees word vs the employer as to if they actually did get any tips or not. Who do you think is going to win that argument? So yeah, hate to break it to you, that employer is not paying that person minimum wage no matter what. So your little plan of screwing the company over in order to force them to pay the person? yep, not going to happen. The system is what it is. It is clearly set up in favor of the company. So your little protest once again is doing no good at all, and in fact hurting the person who is actually doing the work to get you your pizza. Yet you clearly do not recognize that fact if you do not tip them.

And is everyone not taking into account that being a pizza delivery man, or any delivery man, is actually listed as in the Top 10 most dangerous jobs in the US? Do not believe me, Google it. Strictly because they are placing themselves at much greater risk of an accident strictly from an odds standpoint because they are driving so much. Never-mind the fact they are driving to strangers houses, and as such who knows who or what they will encounter. So these people really only deserve to make minimum wage at best? I personally do not think so. They deserve more. And they only get more if the people they deliver to tip them.

And it is not even like we are talking about that good of money here. How many pizzas can one delivery guy deliver in an hour? 6 at best? That is pushing it, but lets just say it is 6. The average tip probably winds up equaling maybe $2 when you take the average from all 6 deliveries, so yeah, your pizza delivery guy makes a whopping $12, which he is responsible for Gas, and which he is also working one of the Top 10 most dangerous jobs in the world. And again, that is going on them doing 6 delivers an hour, which is probably not all that likely unless it is in a city.

So keep fighting the man with your protest, and keep on thinking you are actually achieving something by doing so, and as a result, keep screwing over the delivery man who is just trying to make some money. That is real classy indeed.

Oh I get it. You are sticking to the man huh? That still does not change the fact that the companies are first off doing it because they can. Your protesting the company does nothing AT ALL to hurt that company, and you are only hurting the delivery person who is trying to make a decent living.

So okay, you do not tip the person (and by the way it goes without saying people only get tips when they do they're job properly) to get back at the company is what you are saying, Correct? The simplest of arguments would be why should that person who is only trying to make a decent living be the one to pay for the company exactly? If it is your beef with the company, it would make more sense not to do business AT ALL with that company, not screw over the employee just trying to make a living.

But wait, how stupid of me, that's right. of course the counter point to it all is if you do not tip the driver, their company is forced to pay them minimum wage right? So the driver should he happy right?

Well unfortunately, it is the employees word vs the employer as to if they actually did get any tips or not. Who do you think is going to win that argument? So yeah, hate to break it to you, that employer is not paying that person minimum wage no matter what. So your little plan of screwing the company over in order to force them to pay the person? yep, not going to happen. The system is what it is. It is clearly set up in favor of the company. So your little protest once again is doing no good at all, and in fact hurting the person who is actually doing the work to get you your pizza. Yet you clearly do not recognize that fact if you do not tip them.

And is everyone not taking into account that being a pizza delivery man, or any delivery man, is actually listed as in the Top 10 most dangerous jobs in the US? Do not believe me, Google it. Strictly because they are placing themselves at much greater risk of an accident strictly from an odds standpoint because they are driving so much. Never-mind the fact they are driving to strangers houses, and as such who knows who or what they will encounter. So these people really only deserve to make minimum wage at best? I personally do not think so. They deserve more. And they only get more if the people they deliver to tip them.

And it is not even like we are talking about that good of money here. How many pizzas can one delivery guy deliver in an hour? 6 at best? That is pushing it, but lets just say it is 6. The average tip probably winds up equaling maybe $2 when you take the average from all 6 deliveries, so yeah, your pizza delivery guy makes a whopping $12, which he is responsible for Gas, and which he is also working one of the Top 10 most dangerous jobs in the world. And again, that is going on them doing 6 delivers an hour, which is probably not all that likely unless it is in a city.

So keep fighting the man with your protest, and keep on thinking you are actually achieving something by doing so, and as a result, keep screwing over the delivery man who is just trying to make some money. That is real classy indeed.

It has nothing to do with "sticking it to the man," it has everything to do with CHOOSING whether to pay a tip or not. All I'm saying is that I pay the food company and the food company pays the driver. It's not my job or my responsibility to pay the driver; it is the food company's job to pay the driver. If the driver wants to get mad at anyone for having a crap wage, they should get mad at the company that pays them, not me, the customer. All I'm doing is buying my food. It is not my concern or my responsibility how the driver gets paid. I pay the price set by the food company and the employees are compensated by the food company for their services. It has nothing to do with me.

It's a tip. Also known as a gratuity. It should never be expected. If you get any kind of gratuity you should be happy with it.

If you have a job you should be happy, let's tone down the entitlement a little.

• Like 1

snip

All that is going to do is add a mandatory "delivery fee" to all orders. Dont feel like tipping the delivery guy.. go and pick up the food yourself. I'm not sure how many times it has to be said but here in the US, tips to food delivery people are EXPECTED. I am not saying I agree with it but its just how it is and unless you we start seeing the "delivery fee (which some places do have)" it will continue to be that way.

All that is going to do is add a mandatory "delivery fee" to all orders. Dont feel like tipping the delivery guy.. go and pick up the food yourself. I'm not sure how many times it has to be said but here in the US, tips to food delivery people are EXPECTED. I am not saying I agree with it but its just how it is and unless you we start seeing the "delivery fee (which some places do have)" it will continue to be that way.

I don't care if it is expected. If it's not mandatory, then they can sod off.

Ouch. Forgotten how expensive food is in the UK. That's around $24 for a pizza.

Can get an 18 inch supreme pizza here for $9.95 (around 6-7 pounds).

Yes, this is the point I always make that people like to ignore: in the US, food is so much cheaper that you can tip well and still probably come out paying less than you would for the food alone in the UK/Europe/etc. The difference is that more of the money goes directly to the "regular people" and less of it straight to the company. It's just organised differently, is all.

You're also forgetting that the pay is a lot higher in UK/Europe so in reality, for people in Europe it's not much more expensive, while anything in the US is dirt cheap on vacations, for Americans in europe, it's extremely expensive due to their low pay in relation to Europe.

People need to stop just looking at the costs of products in different countries and clam one is cheaper.

You're also forgetting that the pay is a lot higher in UK/Europe so in reality, for people in Europe it's not much more expensive, while anything in the US is dirt cheap on vacations, for Americans in europe, it's extremely expensive due to their low pay in relation to Europe.

People need to stop just looking at the costs of products in different countries and clam one is cheaper.

Not necessarilly true. When I moved from the UK to the US I got more than the equivalent pay I was on in the UK. That added to the fact that things were cheaper here in the US, I ended up a lot better off.

I know a lot more people here that are 6 figures or close to 6 figures than I knew had that equivalent in pounds and I worked in the center of London where generally salaries were higher.

Yes this doesn't cover all professions, all levels of employment etc. but in general I'd say salaries aren't that much different between the UK and US. Just that prices are much higher in the UK than in the US.

Yes, this is the point I always make that people like to ignore: in the US, food is so much cheaper that you can tip well and still probably come out paying less than you would for the food alone in the UK/Europe/etc. The difference is that more of the money goes directly to the "regular people" and less of it straight to the company. It's just organised differently, is all.

I will never be made to feel guilty about not tipping because someone is earning a low wage unless I employ that person myself.

That line of thinking is completely bizarre IMO.

• Like 2

Food cost: ?15

Delivery fee: ?1

This is what I would expect to pay if I bought a pizza. I'm already paying for delivery so I don't feel obliged to tip. Why would I? I do occasionally tip but I would never feel like I have to tip, and if somebody expected a tip I'd tell them where to go. I pay the food company and the food company pays the driver; it's not my job to pay their wage.

Seriously ?15 for a pizza? Where do you live, or what size is that pizza? We pay around ?6 for a 12" meat feast pizza.

East Midlands / England

http://www.papajohns...oln/pizzas.aspx

I usually get an XXL and save some for the following day :p

Damn, so for the meat feast type pizza, 12" which equates to a medium at Papa Johns, you pay about 2x as much as from a local take away.

Damn, so for the meat feast type pizza, 12" which equates to a medium at Papa Johns, you pay about 2x as much as from a local take away.

Yeah :( From a local takeaway I'd pay about ?8-10 for an equivalent pizza. The big pizza companies are so expensive.

I will say this most of you whining over tipping is sad. Work my job for one week and see if youll ever whine again about tips.

Here's the thing about waiters/waitresses. If your not getting tips the companies paying you from their pocket.

The problem with that is, that says to them your a bad waiter/waitress. Therefore they cut your hours to put someone who is getting tips. Therefor making you earn less.

I watched one of the other waitresses I work with whom didnt get tips for a week straight even though she was doing a damn good job, watched her hours get cut hard, then boom they gave her nothing at all.

Remember just because the company pays out minimum wage if they didn't make their tipped wages, doesn't mean the company wants to pay it.

Theyll make it back by cutting your hours so they arent paying it. CHEAP BUSINESSES.

I will say this most of you whining over tipping is sad. Work my job for one week and see if youll ever whine again about tips.

Here's the thing about waiters/waitresses. If your not getting tips the companies paying you from their pocket.

The problem with that is, that says to them your a bad waiter/waitress. Therefore they cut your hours to put someone who is getting tips. Therefor making you earn less.

I watched one of the other waitresses I work with whom didnt get tips for a week straight even though she was doing a damn good job, watched her hours get cut hard, then boom they gave her nothing at all.

Remember just because the company pays out minimum wage if they didn't make their tipped wages, doesn't mean the company wants to pay it.

Theyll make it back by cutting your hours so they arent paying it. CHEAP BUSINESSES.

So then shouldn't your anger be directed at your company? It shouldn't be our responsibility to make sure you get paid a decent wage.

A tip should be for gratitude on top of the minimum wage you already make. It shouldn't exist to replace minimum wages...

Just to go back a few comments,if your of that mind then stop blaming the people commenting about paying tips but blame the businesses who practice this.Its bushiness using such practises like preying on low wages employees and customer good will, that reduce the income to the Government tax funds and ergo further down the line local spending by councils.

He likely makes like $3 an hour and most of his money is earned on tips, plus he has to pay for gas in his own car. So the tip should have been much higher then that, even 3% on that bill would have been $44.

Go see how long it takes you to load up and unload 85 pizzas...

This above is correct ^^ everyone else is wrong and probably never had a job salarie based on tips.

Already is at the company, however It's the customers who go to the establishment in the first place that gives them the ability to do it. So unless your not going into a restaurant anymore because of the practice it wouldn't matter how mad i was at the company. Therefore a repeating cycle. Employees can only change so much when the customers are the ones who won't help fight with their wallets. Tips or not, customers help the companies screw the employees.