aTV Flash (black) for Apple TV

Are they just too stupid or too lazy to do it?

Really? Do you genuinely believe that? I would argue that would be a very lazy and stupid response!

Apple protect the infrastructure of their ecosystem by making it 99% bulletproof. They negotiated deals for content from providers who wanted to ensure no way to pirate what was being distributed. They push their iTunes service because it's a cash cow for them. Why would they do anything to ruin this?

I'd have to agree in that Apple should allow the TV to be jailbroken. I'm willing to bet the sales of the thing would skyrocket and definiteily outweigh any financial loses that could, for whatever reason, be associated with jailbreaking it.

I have a 1st gen with a 1TB HDD I modded into it, and it's nice to load all my TV shows straight onto it instead of stream thru iTunes.

Now I'm waiting for the newest one to get cracked so I can plug an external HDD into it.

I'm willing to bet the sales of the thing would skyrocket and definiteily outweigh any financial loses that could, for whatever reason, be associated with jailbreaking it.

Apple aren't ;)

Really? Do you genuinely believe that? I would argue that would be a very lazy and stupid response!

Apple protect the infrastructure of their ecosystem by making it 99% bulletproof. They negotiated deals for content from providers who wanted to ensure no way to pirate what was being distributed. They push their iTunes service because it's a cash cow for them. Why would they do anything to ruin this?

Dude where is the harm in allowing the damn thing to let users use the micro USB port to connect external hard drives and play their encoded movies on it?

Dude where is the harm in allowing the damn thing to let users use the micro USB port to connect external hard drives and play their encoded movies on it?

Apple don't get money from that. As soon as Apple allow that all they have produced is an overpriced media server. Right now it is a portal to their iTunes service and all it has. IF people could just hit it to their network/external drives then why would they ever purchase another movie from Apple?

Apple want you to buy/rent movies from them, that's why.

I just sold my ATV2 for ?200, the demand is so high because the ATV3 cant be jailbroken... i rarely used it as i prefer to watch movies via Plex on my iPad so i thought why not..

I've got a RaspberryPi in it's place which works just as well and does a whole lot more.