Amish face unfamiliar life in federal prison

CLEVELAND (AP) ? Sixteen Amish men and women who have lived rural, self-sufficient lives surrounded by extended family and with little outside contact are facing regimented routines in a federal prison system where almost half of inmates are behind bars for drug offenses and modern conveniences such as television will be a constant temptation.

Prison rules will allow the 10 men convicted in beard- and hair-cutting attacks on fellow Amish in eastern Ohio to keep their religiously important beards, but they must wear standard prison uniforms instead of the dark outfits they favor. Jumper dresses will be an option for the six Amish women, who will be barred from wearing their typical long, dark dresses and bonnets.

It's unclear where the Amish will serve their sentences, but some of the nearest options include men's prisons in Elkton, a 90-minute drive southeast of Cleveland, and in Loretto, Pa., and women's prisons in Lexington, Ky., and Alderson, W.Va. The dates they have to report could come any day.

more

Am I getting this right? These people are in jail for attacking other people and wanting to cut their hair and beards?

Now that is just funny!

Am I getting this right? These people are in jail for attacking other people and wanting to cut their hair and beards?

Now that is just funny!

No that is assault. Would it be funny if a bunch of people held you or your family down and using blades and scissors cut your hair or worse?

Going to the news source, I couldn't help but smile at the first picture of the guys strolling down the corridor. Talk about badass, they're rocking the look!