Rumor: Google & Opera behind Microsoft's $730million Fine

A report from the Financial Times claims that Google and Opera "informally provided the tip-off" that led to the EU fining Microsoft over $730 million yesterday. The fine was levied because Microsoft failed to include a "browser ballot" screen that let European users choose what browser to use when setting up their Windows PC. The Financial Times cites "several people familiar with the case" as confirming that Microsoft's browser-making rivals were behind the tip, and claims that both companies also helped the EU throughout the investigation..

Although uncorroborated, this revelation makes sense: both Google and Opera benefited heavily from the inclusion of the browser ballot, and Opera has been a vocal opponent against Microsoft's tight integration of Internet Explorer with Windows for a long time. When asked for comment, Opera told the Financial Times it was "happy to see that the Commission is enforcing compliance with the commitment, which is critical to ensuring a genuine choice among web browsers for consumers." Google was also asked for comment, but declined.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/7/4074390/google-opera-tipped-eu-on-microsoft-antitrust-browser-ballot-mistake

Could this explain why MS did what it did in your previous thread

Dont think so since Ms has been giving it to Google for a while now. It was Microsoft's mistake so Google/Opera just snitched. While it would of been nice to give MS a heads up, if this is true, Google is just finally fighting back a little.

Personally I wish all this kind of crap will stop and companies just get back to innovating and producing good products. A companies sales/rep/whatever should be based of the products and services they provide..not off of what someone else claims they are doing and trash talking. I dont like to hear any trash whether it be from Google, Microsoft, Apple, Samsung, or Betty Crocker.

Honestly if I was Microsoft I'd throw up the option of not selling it in the EU. Would be interesting to see if they'd change their tune a bit. Every time I see something about the EU it usually involves a fine of some sort.

• Like 2

Honestly if I was Microsoft I'd throw up the option of not selling it in the EU. Would be interesting to see if they'd change their tune a bit. Every time I see something about the EU it usually involves a fine of some sort.

MS: "yeah let's not sell any MS product in EU and loose billions, that will teach them!"

yeah...

Stupid crybabies. Especially Opera going all "boohoohoo, nobody uses our misdesigned turd, so we snitched MS and went Webkit, like it's going to change sh*t".

And Google is simply pushing their services - it appears that EU can be "lobbied" as well, even without moving huge piles of money.

Dont think so since Ms has been giving it to Google for a while now. It was Microsoft's mistake so Google/Opera just snitched. While it would of been nice to give MS a heads up, if this is true, Google is just finally fighting back a little.

Personally I wish all this kind of crap will stop and companies just get back to innovating and producing good products. A companies sales/rep/whatever should be based of the products and services they provide..not off of what someone else claims they are doing and trash talking. I dont like to hear any trash whether it be from Google, Microsoft, Apple, Samsung, or Betty Crocker.

Google is fighting back a little? They have been going at Microsoft for a while now.

- They complained about desktop search when it was introduced in Vista

- They complained about the browser monopoly in EU (which ultimately resulted in the ballot)

- They complained about Office document formats

These are the things I can remember of the top of my head, I am sure there have been more cases.

Google is fighting back a little? They have been going at Microsoft for a while now.

Yes, a little considering/compared to the amount of attacks from MS over the past year or so.

It's funny seeing the desperate things Opera is doing to try to stay relevant, when they've long since become irrelevant.

Yes, a little considering/compared to the amount of attacks from MS over the past year or so.

Uh Microsoft is fighting in a more visible manner whereas Google goes in a more underhanded way (blocking youtube/ maps on WP for example). There is no good guy here and I am find it amusing that you think Google is innocent or rather less evil compared to Microsoft.

Uh Microsoft is fighting in a more visible manner whereas Google goes in a more underhanded way (blocking youtube/ maps on WP for example). There is no good guy here and I am find it amusing that you think Google is innocent or rather less evil compared to Microsoft.

Never said Google was innocent and even made comments about them dropping Exchange support. I dont think any company is evil and never used that term towards a company.

Microsoft should be able to remove Opera from the ballot screen, since it's nothing more than a shoddy Chrome clone now.

Opera deserve to go bankrupt for selling out open web standards.