Age of Empires II HD arriving April 9

The problem with updating the controls and mechanics etc is you risk alienating fans. They aren't buying this game for modern things, they're buying it for Nostalgia, if everything feels like AoE2, it'll go down better.

Well, that's a double-edged sword. Try to please existing fans too much and you'll alienate new players with different expectations. Personally I feel like if you're going to enhance an existing game, you might as well improve everything you can and do away with what wasn't working. If the nostalgic crowd finds it too different, they can always play the original after all.

Agreed. I'll be a little disappointed if they remove the cheat that spawns Shelby Cobras. :D

Guess what!

At the very end on the trailer on Steam

post-190503-0-44348500-1362787026.png

I loved AoEII but this remake is overpriced and doesn't do enough visually or gameplay wise. It's possible I'll grab it during a sale but more than likely I'll pass on it.

This looks like Age of Conquerors + a new renderer + some redone sprites + steam integration. It remains to be seen if there's any significant gameplay improvements; the controls are quite dated by today's (and by that I mean Starcraft 2)'s standards: there's no attack-move, no multi-building smart queuing, no unit order queuing, no queuing of researches with units, no camera hotkeys, etc. All these things would be relatively easy to add but it'd take the right vision. I can't wait to see more details.

I agree, new price will only work if gameplay is improved, but not changed dramatically !

I loved AoEII but this remake is overpriced and doesn't do enough visually or gameplay wise. It's possible I'll grab it during a sale but more than likely I'll pass on it.

?11 is overpriced? Didn't you buy SimCity...

Noooooo! Why aren't you offering support for Macs?! I used to play this game religiously, and myself and some friends would go to an internet cafe for a day-long game.

This makes me unhappy. :(

I'm am looking forward to this so much you wouldn't believe. I sunk so many hours into this game after getting for free with an old computer we used to have and my list of saved games was huge...I played a multiplayer game on it a couple of months ago through GameRanger but it's a bit buggy, so this will be absolutely brilliant.

I don't really see why so many people are complaining either, sure it hasn't had a big visual makeover but if I'm honest I think it's better that way. It's not a remake, and they're not charging ?30 for it, it's just a 1080p version with some new textures and features. Steam Workshop and proper multiplayer lobbies is reason enough for me to get this!

• Like 2

?11 is overpriced? Didn't you buy SimCity...

It's actually ?15, discounted to ?13.50 if you preorder (which is always a dubious prospect without reviews). That's pretty steep when it's essentially just a tweaked version of the game I played fifteen years ago, especially when for a similar price you can usually pick up AAA titles within 6 months of release. And no, I didn't buy SimCity but even if I had that's a modern game that's just been released.

• 4 weeks later...

Remake reaction thus far:

Terrible. Completely unplayable. The framerate issues are horrendous and multiplayer simply doesn't work. And there are so many other little bugs it's simply unbelievable.

And, if you're running on XP, you won't even be able to play the game because it calls for API's that apparently don't exist!

Sigh.

Remake reaction thus far:

Terrible. Completely unplayable. The framerate issues are horrendous and multiplayer simply doesn't work. And there are so many other little bugs it's simply unbelievable.

And, if you're running on XP, you won't even be able to play the game because it calls for API's that apparently don't exist!

Sigh.

It came out early?

It came out early?

Pre-ordered people got it on the 5th.

Got in a really good game earlier with my friend, then just before the end a disconnect screen came up to vote and everyone got kicked.

Played it for 4 hours today with no issues at all. The workshop support for Steam is pretty nice as well. Haven't tried multiplayer yet though.

Still one of my favorite games of all time. :D

Played it for 4 hours today with no issues at all. The workshop support for Steam is pretty nice as well. Haven't tried multiplayer yet though.

Still one of my favorite games of all time. :D

You're one of the lucky few. Can't even play on single player for over half an hour or it starts to lag like hell :/

Hopefully they patch it soon.

Tried to play a local game with 2 friends. 10 minutes into the game, out of sync :( So we reloaded the save, 2 min later, unexpected error and crashed :( Not to mention it was noticeably laggy.

If people are getting this running perfectly, I am not sure how... the forums and everyone around seems to be having trouble - and the devs acknowledged some that they are already working on (which means they are launching with the known bugs, sheesh).

The HD in this is laughable, and some textures look worse, believe it or not.