aoe steam

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#16 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 07 March 2013 - 18:28

This looks like Age of Conquerors + a new renderer + some redone sprites + steam integration. It remains to be seen if there's any significant gameplay improvements; the controls are quite dated by today's (and by that I mean Starcraft 2)'s standards: there's no attack-move, no multi-building smart queuing, no unit order queuing, no queuing of researches with units, no camera hotkeys, etc. All these things would be relatively easy to add but it'd take the right vision. I can't wait to see more details.

#17 statm1

statm1

Neowinian

Posted 07 March 2013 - 18:35

I miss the day when you could install a new game without needing an internet connection.... Its not like Steam is saving companies from going bankrupt (with the exception I guess of indie games that wouldn't have been found without it...).

#18 boumboqc

boumboqc

Just Throlling Around

• Phone: HTC One

Posted 07 March 2013 - 18:39

AWESOME

#19 Kalint

Kalint

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 07 March 2013 - 20:47

OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!

#20 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 07 March 2013 - 20:51

I like that they're updating the textures and sprites, but I hope they leave the old ones in there and allow you to play in "classic" mode. Similar to the anniversary edition of Halo. All you had to do was hit a button, and the game would switch in real-time between original and new graphics.

#21 gameboy1977

gameboy1977

Neowinian

• Phone: Windows Phone 8

Posted 07 March 2013 - 20:54

that is awesome news! :) I will buy them soon! I like that game, because of Joan of Arc. :)

#22 Alladaskill17

Alladaskill17

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 March 2013 - 21:26

Screw buying Sim City. I'm getting this!

Saw this joke on Reddit :)

Posted Image

#23 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 07 March 2013 - 21:30

This looks like Age of Conquerors + a new renderer + some redone sprites + steam integration. It remains to be seen if there's any significant gameplay improvements; the controls are quite dated by today's (and by that I mean Starcraft 2)'s standards: there's no attack-move, no multi-building smart queuing, no unit order queuing, no queuing of researches with units, no camera hotkeys, etc. All these things would be relatively easy to add but it'd take the right vision. I can't wait to see more details.

The problem with updating the controls and mechanics etc is you risk alienating fans. They aren't buying this game for modern things, they're buying it for Nostalgia, if everything feels like AoE2, it'll go down better.

#24 ashpowell

ashpowell

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 07 March 2013 - 21:33

Cant wait!

#25 strekship

strekship

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:04

Nice, now if only they would give us an updated Rise of Nations.

#26 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:29

The problem with updating the controls and mechanics etc is you risk alienating fans. They aren't buying this game for modern things, they're buying it for Nostalgia, if everything feels like AoE2, it'll go down better.

Well, that's a double-edged sword. Try to please existing fans too much and you'll alienate new players with different expectations. Personally I feel like if you're going to enhance an existing game, you might as well improve everything you can and do away with what wasn't working. If the nostalgic crowd finds it too different, they can always play the original after all.

#27 Lewism

Lewism

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 March 2013 - 23:57

Agreed. I'll be a little disappointed if they remove the cheat that spawns Shelby Cobras. :D

Guess what!

At the very end on the trailer on Steam

Attached Images

• Cobra.png

#28 thealexweb

thealexweb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 March 2013 - 23:58

Why does it say Windows 8 Pro and not just 8?

#29 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 09 March 2013 - 00:11

I loved AoEII but this remake is overpriced and doesn't do enough visually or gameplay wise. It's possible I'll grab it during a sale but more than likely I'll pass on it.

#30 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 09 March 2013 - 00:14

I agree, new price will only work if gameplay is improved, but not changed dramatically !