50 posts in this topic

Posted

[font=georgia,serif][size=5][b]Ubuntu chief isn't interested in 'leet' users, wants to bring Linux to the masses[/b][/size][/font]

[font=georgia,serif]The past few months in Ubuntu's development have been highly transformative

Posted

# su root
# pgrep -u MarkShuttleworth
# ps -fp $(pgrep -u MarkShuttleworth)
# killall -KILL -u MarkShuttleworth
# userdel -r MarkShuttleworth
11 people like this

Posted

[quote name='neufuse' timestamp='1362750294' post='595566072']
# su root
# pgrep -u MarkShuttleworth
# ps -fp $(pgrep -u MarkShuttleworth)
# killall -KILL -u MarkShuttleworth
# userdel -r MarkShuttleworth
[/quote]

Unfortunately this is the mentality of Linux users. Linux users look down on the masses. They want Linux to stay as an inaccessible, only for the elite OS, for nothing else but bragging rights.

Fortunately, there are visionaries like Shuttleworth or the Elementary OS team that could take Linux to the next usability level.
16 people like this

Posted

Well, the "Leet" will always have Gentoo.... must compile, must compile, must compile...
1 person likes this

Posted

Looks like the guy as an head on his shoulder and knows where he is heading.
1 person likes this

Posted

Ubuntu is a gateway distro. It's meant to teach a newbie the tricks of the trade. If he can make using Ubuntu easier, and make Linux a better OS, I'm all for it. I'm now at the point where I feel comfortable using the terminal, and Linux in general because of (K)Ubuntu.
2 people like this

Posted

He's not looking down on the leet users because he's an elitest. On the contrary, he wants to bring Ubuntu to the masses even more than the team has thus far. He doesn't wanna concern himself with those who wanna keep Ubuntu to themselves.

Posted

[quote name='Kreuger' timestamp='1362763264' post='595566504']
He's not looking down on the leet users because he's an elitest.
[/quote]

No one is saying that.

Posted

Sounds good, as long as it stays free and without forced advertisements or anything like that.

Anyone that wants an "elite" version of Linux can just use another variant.
1 person likes this

Posted

I have a old PC it had a PATA HDD which had bad sectors. Since PATA HDD's are extinct, I tried installing windows on a SATA HDD I had but the motherboard doesnt support a SATA HDD for booting.
Now this hardware was not as bad as throwing it away, thot of installing Ubuntu on it.

Installed Ubuntu, Its over 4 months and have never looked back.

Now imagine all the people who dont have the resources to go buy the latest PC out there, wouldnt they be happy to know that there is linux in such an scenario.

Posted

[quote name='Mephistopheles' timestamp='1362749989' post='595566066'][i][font=georgia,serif]

Posted

He makes sense, as long as it stays free.

Posted

The crowd that wants things to be difficult and complex for the sake of being difficult and complex so they can feel "professional" should be ignored.
4 people like this

Posted

Fanatical Apple Fans, and Linux Fans are very similar and give the produce a bad / negative impression.

Not everyone falls in to the "fanatical" user, it's just a small percent of the user base.

Make Linux for the masses is not a bad thing at all, and something Ubuntu has been doing all along.
Before that, Corel Linux (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corel_Linux) started to do this, and started to pick up steam, until Microsoft gave them a bunch of money, and they stopped developing it.

Posted

[quote name='Jason Stillion' timestamp='1362765538' post='595566582']
Fanatical Apple Fans, and Linux Fans are very similar and give the produce a bad / negative impression.
[/quote]

So fanatical MS fans are great and swell? ;)

All fanatics are the same, not just Apple and Linux.

Posted

Different strokes for different folks? If some like things being obtuse for the sake of it, they can use Archlinux or whatever other distro.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='sanctified' timestamp='1362765969' post='595566594']
So fanatical MS fans are great and swell? ;)

All fanatics are the same, not just Apple and Linux.
[/quote]

That's true, I didn't think about MS having fanatical fans just until recently (Win 8 Metro).

Posted

[quote name='Jason Stillion' timestamp='1362766641' post='595566622']
That's true, I didn't think about MS having fanatical fans just until recently
[/quote]

Believe me, Neowin is full of them.
3 people like this

Posted

unless Canonical manages to get OEMs to put ubuntu on a bunch of computers and seriously try to sell them then their chances of bringing Ubuntu to the non 'leet' masses is 0.

the non 'leet' masses as he calls them don't care, they'll use whatever is on the computer when they buy it, they're not gonna go out of their way to figure out how to put something else on it

Posted

[quote name='sanctified' timestamp='1362766693' post='595566628']

Believe me, Neowin is full of them.
[/quote]

Most true statement. EVER.

Posted

Wow, Linux was meant to be a free and open OS. Seems like there's a person who thinks it should be a niche fascist OS that no one else can enjoy. /sarcasm

:rolleyes:

Posted

It's the same with any other company really, why add new things or change to cater to a market that's already there, when you can do this to widen your audience.

Posted

[quote name='sanctified' timestamp='1362761430' post='595566452']
Unfortunately this is the mentality of Linux users. Linux users look down on the masses. They want Linux to stay as an inaccessible, only for the elite OS, for nothing else but bragging rights.

Fortunately, there are visionaries like Shuttleworth or the Elementary OS team that could take Linux to the next usability level.
[/quote]

I'm not a huge fan of linux. I think it would be a good desktop OS if it were easier to manage. Right now i think it's a great server OS but it needs some help there too!

Posted

Works for me. I really don't care if a small group of users is ****ed off because they think they're smarter than everybody else. Personally, I use ElementaryOS, which is based off of Ubuntu, but still, the "masses" should have at least one distro you can use. If you don't like the direction Ubuntu is going there are many, many, many other distros out there for you to choose from; go use Gentoo or something if you want to be "leet."

Posted

Ubuntu is trying to make Linux for everyone. It might actually succeed one day but it's got it's work cut out. I'd like to see them make it, myself.