Man Seeks Jail to Escape Cold

A homeless Florida man with a penchant for getting arrested when it's cold outside found an unlikely and humorous ally in a judge who called him "a regular."

Bruce Hodgson, 38, was arrested on at a Home Depot in Pompano Beach, Florida, on Monday. He "appeared intoxicated" and was "causing a disturbance inside the store" when the store manager approached a police officer, according to Hodgson's arrest affidavit.

The officer told Hodgson to leave the property and he did, but he returned 15 minutes later.

"Again he was warned to leave or face being arrested," according to the police report. "The def. [defendant] turned around and placed his hands behind his back and stated, 'Go ahead and arrest me.'"

Hodgson was arrested and taken to the Broward Sheriff's Office main jail.

On Tuesday, Hodgson appeared before Judge John Hurley in bond court.

"Hi, Bruce, good to see you again. How ya been?" Hurley asked him. "Bruce, you didn't try to get arrested this time, did you?"

Hodgson said he was just trying to go back for another cup of coffee.

"Come on, Bruce," Hurley said. "Did it get too cold out [and] you wanted to get arrested?"

"I don't know," Hodgson replied with a laugh. Laughs can be heard throughout the room during the exchange, posted on ABC News' Miami and Fort Lauderdale affiliate WPLG's website.

On Monday, Fort Lauderdale had a high temperature of 67 degrees and a low of 44 degrees.

"Yeah, I got it," Hurley said. "When I read this this morning, I read right through this. It got too cold out there and you wanted to get arrested. Am I right?"

Hodgson chuckled and looked away before saying, "Maybe."

"See, I knew it, Bruce," said Hurley. "Well, it's good to see you again. Sorry it had to be in jail."

Hurley then asked him if we wanted to postpone the hearing until Thursday and Hodgson shrugged.

"All right, Bruce, I'll reset this for Thursday in the afternoon," Hurley said. "I think we're going to get into the 70s this weekend. Take care."

Hodgson smiled, gave him a thumbs up and walked away.

"Yeah, Bruce is a regular," Hurley said. "I can read Bruce like a book."

Hodgson has been arrested 29 times since 2000, according to the Broward Sheriff's Office.

Sixteen of those arrests took place between November and March. The most recent nine times he was arrested in the winter, the average low temperature was 52 degrees, according to WPLG.

"Certainly, we don't want to jail the homeless," Broward Sheriff's Officer Dani Moschella told ABCNews.com today. "It's not a homeless shelter, but sometimes despite our best efforts, people end up in jail because they break the law."

It costs $116 per day to house an inmate in the Broward County Jail, according to Moschella. The jail was at 85 percent capacity on Wednesday.

"The deputy's hands are kind of tied in that situation. He was breaking the law," she said. "The judge's hands were tied as well. He has someone in front of him who is cold."

Moschella said that homeless shelters are available, but they often will not take in people who are intoxicated.

source

The homeless situation in the USA is a disgrace. Ok, I know there are 'some' people out there who actually want to be homeless, for a variety of reasons. But I would still think there would be more our society could do to help out the ones who are wanting help.

Ghandi said "You can judge a society by how they treat their weakest members."

The homeless situation in the USA is a disgrace. Ok, I know there are 'some' people out there who actually want to be homeless, for a variety of reasons. But I would still think there would be more our society could do to help out the ones who are wanting help.

Ghandi said "You can judge a society by how they treat their weakest members."

It's bad in the UK too.

Articles like this make me sick:

Homeless man Daniel Gauntlett dies frozen on doorstep of empty bungalow in Aylesford

--------------------------

I don't blame the guy, I would probably do the same!

Not sure about the temperatures though... 6 degrees celsius (44F) is not that cold, I would walk around in a jumper in that kind of temperature.

Sometimes homelessness comes down to choosing it. Here in Canada, with every conceivable social program, there are still people that are homeless. There is help available if they want it, but they choose not to because of implied conditions. Somewhat like this story, the homeless shelter could take him but they don't take intoxicated people. That's HIM choosing to drink alcohol over a warm shelter, 100% his choice and no ones fault but his own. Its the same here, people just don't want to to accept conditions. I am hoping within 10 years, I myself too might be able to start a small local safety net to help people get on their feet. You will get free room, board, a specific appointed job with decent pay. Conditions? No smoking, no drinking, no drugs. Don't like it? Fine, I will help someone who wants help and is willing to change. Next person in line please.

Sometimes homelessness comes down to choosing it. Here in Canada, with every conceivable social program, there are still people that are homeless. There is help available if they want it, but they choose not to because of implied conditions. Somewhat like this story, the homeless shelter could take him but they don't take intoxicated people. That's HIM choosing to drink alcohol over a warm shelter, 100% his choice and no ones fault but his own. Its the same here, people just don't want to to accept conditions. I am hoping within 10 years, I myself too might be able to start a small local safety net to help people get on their feet. You will get free room, board, a specific appointed job with decent pay. Conditions? No smoking, no drinking, no drugs. Don't like it? Fine, I will help someone who wants help and is willing to change. Next person in line please.

For someone considering opening a homeless shelter, you show a considerable lack of understanding for people with addictions.

For someone considering opening a homeless shelter, you show a considerable lack of understanding for people with addictions.

I understand them... but I would follow the 80/20 rule. As with most things, 80% of results are achieved in the first 20% of effort. I would want to help the most people possible. The die hard addicts would take up an disproportional amount of effort and time compared to someone willing to give substance addiction up. Instead of treating 5 hard luck addicts, I would help (over time) 25 hard luck non-addicts. For me, its about helping out the most people you can. Although it is possible for 10 years down the road to start helping out the ones I can't help now as money/business allows.

Otis-the-drunk.jpg

Otis: I got drunk just so I could come over here to be with you, so you could help me celebrate my birthday.

Andy: Aw, you didn't have to do that, Otis. Why, you would have been welcome, anyhow.

Otis: No, that's like going to a friend's store and not buying anything.

Otis telling Barney and Andy that he got drunk so they could arrest him and he would be with them for his birthday.

I understand them... but I would follow the 80/20 rule. As with most things, 80% of results are achieved in the first 20% of effort. I would want to help the most people possible. The die hard addicts would take up an disproportional amount of effort and time compared to someone willing to give substance addiction up. Instead of treating 5 hard luck addicts, I would help (over time) 25 hard luck non-addicts. For me, its about helping out the most people you can. Although it is possible for 10 years down the road to start helping out the ones I can't help now as money/business allows.

I was referring more to this part of your post:

"That's HIM choosing to drink alcohol over a warm shelter, 100% his choice and no ones fault but his own."

Some people have been through some pretty horrendous stuff and they drink/take drugs to block out the bad memories. I'm not saying that that's the best way to deal with such problems, but I can sympathise with it. I wouldn't say it's always as simple as CHOOSING to drink for some people.

• Like 1

Why is this news? That crap happens all the time here. They get locked up for the winter and are out in spring.

I was referring more to this part of your post:

"That's HIM choosing to drink alcohol over a warm shelter, 100% his choice and no ones fault but his own."

Some people have been through some pretty horrendous stuff and they drink/take drugs to block out the bad memories. I'm not saying that that's the best way to deal with such problems, but I can sympathise with it. I wouldn't say it's always as simple as CHOOSING to drink for some people.

totally true, but I choose to not deal with the reasoning, either way, I would choose someone else to help (if they didn't abide by the rules set forth).

Do they not have homeless shelters there?

Are there no prisons ? Are there no workhouses ?

Shelters don't allow drinkers.

And they sure aren't the answer to everything.

totally true, but I choose to not deal with the reasoning, either way, I would choose someone else to help (if they didn't abide by the rules set forth).

I understand your reasons and can't really fault them... I'm just saying that saying "it's noone's fault but their own" is a little harsh without knowing the circumstances :p

Unfortunate that someone's only way to get shelter and nourishment is to purposely break the law but given his desperation it's understandable, at least he didn't harm anyone.

Yeah, but in BC there are huge cuts going towards these social programs so the amount the Government has to spend is evaporating.