Battlefield 3 with Xbox Controller

Hi,

So I have just installed bf3 and playing it with an xbox 360 controller (pc version).

All works fine except the parts in the game where it shows up on screen for you to do an action, such as press E or SPACE

How come it's doing that and not the xbox controller buttons like a majority of other modern games do?

I found it too annoying, I had to hold down the thumbstick to sprint whereas on the actual Xbox version you click it once and you sprint till you stop or run out of stamina.

Don't mind that too much, it's just that on some things you HAVE to use the mouse & keyboard too, for example mounting a gun in some vehicles doesnt work with the controller, you have to use the mouse. I just don't understand why a modern game like that doesn't have official support for it.

Playing BF3 with a controller ? I hope it's because you're sending the feed to your TV, not your monitor

Knew I'd get stuff like that.. It's my PC I can play with whatever device I like, If you like to play with the mouse and keyboard then that's up to you.

Why is it so stuck in to peoples heads that because you're playing it on a computer you have to use a keyboard and mouse?

I play on a monitor. I chose to buy the game on the PC, and chose to play it with controls that I'm used to.

The reason I got it for PC is so I could play it on Ultra graphics as IMO it makes the game more enjoyable to play.

xpadder will probably map that function.

Thank you for the useful comment :)

• Like 1

Some of this PC/mouse and keyboard elitism is simply embarrassing on behalf of people like that. So old.

I have an Alienware X51 hooked up to my TV and play the majority of my games on that with a 360 pad. I find a pad much more enjoyable to play with, given that it was designed specifically for playing games. I find mouse and keyboard a tool for an entirely different job. I just don't enjoy playing games with them. Granted, it's probably more accurate in FPS games (thus making getting a kill with a pad actually more skillful), but just not as fun.

I actually gave up on BF3 in the end. It is awful that this day in age they have not been able to bake in proper controller pad support. It is the only game i've come across in a number of years which didn't have support. Really really poor, considering that much lower budget games can have full proper support out of the box.

• Like 2

Knew I'd get stuff like that.. It's my PC I can play with whatever device I like, If you like to play with the mouse and keyboard then that's up to you.

Why is it so stuck in to peoples heads that because you're playing it on a computer you have to use a keyboard and mouse?

I play on a monitor. I chose to buy the game on the PC, and chose to play it with controls that I'm used to.

The reason I got it for PC is so I could play it on Ultra graphics as IMO it makes the game more enjoyable to play.

Ahh boohoo. I wasn't criticizing you. I do play with a xbox360 controller, but only platforms games and racing games for example.

• 2 weeks later...

If your still in need, MotionInJoy is another useful controller mapping tool for both the 360 pad and DS3.

This will sound crazy but...

While playing BF3, I actually use MIJ with a PS3 controller in my left hand and a mouse in my right...

I use the left analog stick to run and go prone. The D-pad to reload, spot, grenade, and interact. L1 to sprint, L2 to crouch.

The mouse to aim, zoom, and fire of course. With it's programmable buttons to jump and melee.

Select and start as gadget options, with the mouse wheel to fine tune them.

I use R2, hitting it on my leg, to display the scoreboard. I map the remaining buttons to FRAPS controls.

It works extremely well... I find it to be the easiest and most comfortable way of playing.