See the phone next to your keyboard? Use it!

So my friends and I made this iPhone app, Gempad, over the weekend that takes advantage of the smart phone sitting next to your keyboard. Developers could use it to run repetitive commands, designers could use it to speedup Photoshop menu access, and gamers could use it to bind macros and hotkeys.

VkMyBpj.jpg

In addition to the picture, here's a 6-second Vine video on Twitter showing Gempad in action: https://twitter.com/...146093914660864

What do you think? Would you use it? Would love to get some input from you all :)

This is actually pretty awesome, and rather unique too! However my phone sits above my keyboard. :p

Still an excellent idea!

why would you bother using it over an "function" key programmed to do the same?

I assume the idea is that the person using this would be on a 10-11" laptop where you have severe space constraints and not enough room to provide more then the basic necessities and may not have any 'extra' keys.

The larger you get the less useful it is obviously, as your more likely to have numerous extra keys to do whatever with, which would obviously be preferable a they'd be closer, on the same level as the regular keys and provide tactile feedback.

I've seen some apps that extend the use of PCs via like 'virtual monitors' and whatnot but every single bloody one is either mac and/or windows only...

Any linux support for this or...?

From an ergonomics point of view I can see this being pretty bad, that said, the if you are using it on a 10 inch laptop, then ergonomics probably aren't your concern :p Good luck with the app!

why would you bother using it over an "function" key programmed to do the same?

Because the phone screen can display custom graphics and labels. And you can have unlimited keys on the phone screen organized however you want. Furthermore, virtual keys on the phone screens can be context sensitive, so maybe pressing one key will spawn several other around it, etc.

Nice, would be very cool scaled up to an ipad for a whole load of extra buttons.

An iPad version is in the works :)

I've seen some apps that extend the use of PCs via like 'virtual monitors' and whatnot but every single bloody one is either mac and/or windows only...

Any linux support for this or...?

Currently it's iPhone and Mac only, but we will add Windows, Linux, and Android versions.

• Like 1

Currently it's iPhone and Mac only, but we will add Windows, Linux, and Android versions.

Nice, might give it a go when it's done :)

I'm not going to lie, I didn't get much from the video. Make a longer version and show the benefits of using this application compared to not using it.

However, as an idea I'm intrigued. My Android has all sorts of applications to interact with my Mac and this looks like it could be a nifty addition, especially if I could use my Android with my work laptop to speed processes up.

media controls?

Could be added easily.

I'm not going to lie, I didn't get much from the video. Make a longer version and show the benefits of using this application compared to not using it.

However, as an idea I'm intrigued. My Android has all sorts of applications to interact with my Mac and this looks like it could be a nifty addition, especially if I could use my Android with my work laptop to speed processes up.

The idea is exactly as you described: using your smartphone to increase your productivity on your computer. You can watch my stage pitch here to get a better idea:

I do like the idea, but in reality, in my case, it would not be practical as that's sort of what I do with my G13

Specialty keyboards such as the G13, G15, and zBoards are exactly what Gempad could replace. Most people do not have a specialty keyboard, but almost everyone has a smartphone that could act as one.