Need advice for gaming notebook

gaming notebook m1730

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cloudstrifeVII

cloudstrifeVII

Neowinian

Posted 08 March 2013 - 23:38

I am currently looking for a cheap gaming laptop. It would be mainly used to play LOL and Starcraft II. I don't necessary need something super compact, as long as it's easier to transport than a full desktop tower + screen, because I often go to LAN parties. From what I have seen, new gaming laptop aren't cheap. I recently found a used one on Ebay, so I am wondering if it's worth it or if you have any other suggestions. Here is the link so you can check out the specs : http://www.ebay.ca/i...item27d069e69b. It seems all I would need to do is to replace the video card. There is a 8800 GTX SLI on Ebay for less than $200, so I am thinking that for less than $500 I could get a decent gaming notebook, do you think it's a good idea ? I have never installed a video card in a notebook before but I know how to install one in a desktop so I'm guessing it should not be that difficult. Any advices ? Thank you !

#2 +Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 09 March 2013 - 14:04

90% of laptops have integrated video. Only the high grade have switchable graphics.

Condition: For parts or not working: An item that does not function as intended and is not fully operational. This includes items that

I would not reccommend doing this.

#3 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 09 March 2013 - 14:11

Gaming notebook at 500... that's quite difficult, nonetheless the AMD APUs offer really good performance for the price.

#4 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

Posted 09 March 2013 - 14:20

I would say clevo d9t for that sort of money, but it's ancient old,
in it's defence, it will run windows 7, and can have a graphics upgrade (or at least mine did because I did it)
Played WoW cataclysm on it, ran fine for 28 fps on a 1680x1050 resolution until it died, (bought from ebay, it was listed as faulty) but I didn't pay much for it.
Great, Now I miss it all over again :(

#5 OP cloudstrifeVII

cloudstrifeVII

Neowinian

Posted 09 March 2013 - 19:00

Someone (on another forum) linked an Acer notebook with a 7670m : http://www.newegg.co...&SID=u00000687. But I've googled that video card and on a website it says it''s barely playable on High setting and not on Ultra. Here is the link to the benchmarks : http://www.notebookc...M.69483.0.html. On the other hand, I've seen videos of people playing SC2 at Ultra on the M1730 with the 8800m GTX SLI on the 17" monitor at a resolution of 1920x1200. Am I looking at this correctly or are those benchmarks not reliable ?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!