Photo

Windows Vista - Your experience and opinion?

vista

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:04

My experience with it is...low. My opinion of it is even lower. However, I should probably point out that I have a similar opinion of Window 7 at the moment. It's not that the OS is flawed, it's that they've made some silly decisions regarding user interaction, and I'm finding that it takes me twice as long to perform a simple task that I would have no problem with in XP.

#17 Thingol

Thingol

Neowinian

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:07

After SP2, Vista was rock solid.

#18 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:13

At the time I tried it (pre SP2), explorer would constantly hang and crash for no reason. Graphics drivers kept crashing even years after release of Vista. Compatibility with so many apps was broken even with UAC disabled and compatibility mode.

PS: No memory errors and worked perfectly with XP.

Vista was necessary to iron out the bugs for SP1/Windows 7. If Vista didn't happen, Windows 7 would have faced the same issues. They needed to get it out there to make software developers realise that this change is real and can't sit on their ass hoping that compatibility issues with resolve themselves in time for the next release, software developers will have to fix it themselves.

#19 InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:14

Personally i loved Vista, it was a massive upgrade from Windows XP.

Yes it broke a lot of stuff in regards to drivers, however it was a needed change and it forced manufacturers to start pushing 64bit drivers too. I personally loved Windows Media Center, as i was a big fan of MCE 2005 in XP and it was a great upgrade in Vista. I loved the modern theme, widgets and improved start menu too. Everything appeared to get a fresh coat.

I think my only complaint is like Intrinsica mentioned it takes twice as many clicks to perform simple tasks compared to Windows XP. Sadly this trend has continued, especially in Windows 8 to the point where its just one big mess now going through system and user settings.

#20 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:19

Could only tolerate that TOTAL POS OS just long enough to wipe it out and install good ol' XP!!

I bet since it was released, I've down graded AT LEAST 250 computers to XP or have upgraded them to Windows 7 now. The very vast majority of those poeple have asked me what MS did to actually make such a crappy OS!

I would've rather used Windows 95, 98 or even Me, over that crap a** OS! :x

#21 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:21

I used vista with my former laptop, with only 1 gb of ram and even so... it ran smooth as silk (provided I installed all my programs and removed any kind of autostarting feature on them) SP1 made it faster... and continue to use it even after win 7 came out because of a weird BIOS problem that I only discovered months later (had to downgrade to the very frirst bios revision of my laptop to correct it) To be honest, I really have a lot of fond memories of it, this was because most of the people was so stuck in winxp because apparently it didn't ran fast enough on their computer, but for me it was great, win7 was just an speed performance of it.... I consider it even more "revolutionary" than windows 8.

#22 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:32

Personally I liked Vista. It certainly wasn't perfect but the visual theme was a significant improvement from XP, gaming was great (performance was largely similar but it included DX10), driver handling was much improved (thanks to the online check) and stability and security were both improved also (people forget how insecure and unstable XP was). I was glad to upgrade to Windows 7 upon release but to me it was simply Vista 2.0 - I never understood how people could hate Vista but love Win7.

Contextually I think Vista was better than Windows 8, though Windows 8 is still the superior operating system.

PS - It should be noted that my systems tend to be at the top-end of the performance spectrum, so I didn't encounter the significant performance issues that affected people with lower spec machines.

#23 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:38

I was beta-testing Vista. Even got a complimentary Vista Ultimate key for that. Yet I went back to XP not even six months after installing Vista RTM. Why? Main reason: my PC at the time was a lowly AMD Sempron 3000+ with 1 GB of RAM and a Geforce 6200. Suffice to say performance wasn't exactly stellar. Upgrading my hardware was not an option at the time, hence the downgrade.

Two months after downgrading to XP I bought an iMac only to see the first Windows 7 beta a year later and go 'damn, why did you switch to OS X again?' But I digress.

In terms of reliability I didn't have a lot of issues with Vista.

#24 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 09 March 2013 - 13:32

The only issue I had was a missing driver after installation (of RTM), which is understandable since the computer was manufactured in late 2008.

That was perfectly the time that there should have been drivers for it, Vista was released in 2007, Win 7 was released in 2009

2008 was Vistas limelight year

#25 Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 09 March 2013 - 13:51

I can say that I really hated Vista. Because everyone hated it, I hated it too.

I had it on the laptop I'm writing... This was 4 years ago (September 30, 2008). Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 GHz, Nvidia Geforce 8600m GT.

I had problems with DEP (Data Execution Prevention). I had to create exclusions with several programs.

Everything else worked good. Booting time (cold) was like 30 secs, with everything disabled (Startup, except the essentials).Most of the programs ran OK.

I can say that every problem I had with Vista could be atoned to the bad press (Mostly mentally).

I, as of today have a different stand. I believe Windows Vista is the most revolutionary OS ever created by Microsoft. From incredible UI improvements and simplicity, to modifying internals.

Hell, I can bet my butt that if it wasn't for Vista, we wouldn't have the monster PCs we had today. Vista forced Hardware vendors to create much powerful GPU, RAM, CPU.

#26 kInG aLeXo

kInG aLeXo

Neowinian

Posted 09 March 2013 - 13:56

It was fast when first installed, then had this weird tendency to become slower after each reboot. After two weeks it became too slow to be usable. Re-installed and exact same thing happenned. Never installed it again.

#27 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 09 March 2013 - 14:01

Stayed with XP until SP1, too many immature driver issues, some existing software had a few compatibility issues, etc at release. Was actually decent once SP2 rolled around, haven't looked back to XP since then. Kicked to the curb and forgotten with 7.

#28 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

Looking for a job in Lisbon

Posted 09 March 2013 - 14:08

Well, all I got from Vista was BSOD.

#29 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 09 March 2013 - 17:39

Sadly this trend has continued, especially in Windows 8 to the point where its just one big mess now going through system and user settings.

It's actually a lot quicker in some respects http://www.zdnet.com...er-preview/4587

And search is still just typing as soon as you bring up the Start screen, since people like to bring up the going to the Charms bar thing.

But anyway, nevermind since this topics about something else entirely.

#30 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Phone: Android

Posted 09 March 2013 - 17:45

Just like Win8, Vista is/was hated upon because the so called geeks and nerds are hostile to change, there was nothing wrong with Vista that the hardware vendors slowness in updating drivers could have fixed, otherwise it was a huge improvement over WinXP