Photo

Windows Vista - Your experience and opinion?

vista

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#46 OP Ian William

Ian William

I work great with Windows Vista!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:40

That was perfectly the time that there should have been drivers for it, Vista was released in 2007, Win 7 was released in 2009

2008 was Vistas limelight year

Perhaps I should have been more clear. There were drivers for the device (NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet) online, but RTM wasn't compatible with it 'out of the box'. This was understandable.

Thanks to all of you for your answers!

#47 Russell Green

Russell Green

Neowinian

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:20

Yes it really was that bad.

1 .Driver support was god damn terrible. My whole time of using XP, Win7 and Win8 I've had 1 BSOD. With Vista is was a common occurrence every few days. Drivers were the main issue behind this.
2. Application compatibility, Windows has always been very good when it came to backward compatibility. Vista being the exception the rule.
3. The power your machine needed to run Vista was ridiculous. Microsoft should have never allowed machines to be sold with 512MB of RAM with Vista basic. For a good user experience you needed 2GB of RAM and a 2.0GHz dual-core processor. Which at the time was verging on absurd.
3. UAC was a stupid idea and implemented very poorly. It appeared so often nobody ever read the warnings and interrupted what you were doing for 5 seconds or so each time.
4. Windows update was bad enough to provoke suicide with it slowness and monotonous process of reboot after reboot to install some updates.

Most of all, it forced me to convert to Linux until the release of 7. 7 came and it was everything Vista should have been and I came running back.

#48 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:40

Things I hated about Vista.

Windows Media Player 11 was terrible. I loved WMP 10's interface, for me that was the pinnacle of WMP before I switched entirely to Linux. WMP 10 really was just a good media player that functioned well, played anything you installed a codec for, started up fast and was responsive, and had an easy to use interface. WMP 11 seemed much slower, and having to switch to different areas by clicking the tiny little arrow button that was on the bottom of the bigger buttons on top annoyed the crap out of me.

Updating was SLOOOOOOOWWWWW. On Debian Linux I can install 100 MB worth of updates and, if necessary, reboot and be back at my desktop ready to work in about 3 minutes. In Windows Vista, installing 100 MB of updates and doing a reboot has taken me upwards of a half an hour on the same hardware. 7 and XP are still pretty slow at installing updates compared to Linux, but from what I've seen at work and for a little while before switching entirely to Linux, they were both much faster at handling updates than Vista.

The whole system felt horribly slow. Switching back to "Classic" helped a little bit, at the cost of some aesthetics, but even on beefier hardware it just kind of felt "sluggish". Everything about the whole system from file transfers to opening your favorite internet browser, seemed to take a noticeably longer time on Windows Vista than on any other operating system.

UAC could have been done better. I know it was modeled after some *nix properties, like regular users not having permissions to system folders etc., but it seems like the Vista UAC was constantly popping up left and right, and it got to the point that it was pointless to use it because nobody read the process name that was trying to do something, everybody just clicked Continue as soon as they saw the dialog.

Driver changes broke a lot of things. Those of us who wanted to use Windows so we could play WoW, but hated Vista, found ourselves installing XP, only to find out that PC vendors that released a PC with Vista pre-installed, did not provide links to drivers for XP on their website.

A lot of older applications didn't like Vista. I tried playing Age of Empires 2 on my Vista box and for some reason the whole game would "run", but everything was speckled in red, and I had several older applications that wouldn't even execute, even when going into the file properties and setting it run in "Compatibility Mode", and setting compatibility mode to emulate Windows XP.

Weird default FTP settings made accessing my Linux server to transfer files ridiculously slow. I could use Filezilla and snag large files no problem at an acceptable rate, but when I tried mapping the drive to "My Computer" so I could just go and copy and paste files as I needed them, I noticed that the responsiveness and transfer rate was at least half of what I saw when using Filezilla.

There's more, but those are some of the big ones I thought of right off the top of my head.

#49 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:41

Yeah, Vista was that bad. I had driver problems and just general slowdown problems. I hated Vista.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!