Windows 8 hangs at startup.

win8

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 OP DJGM

DJGM

Mancunian

Posted 17 March 2013 - 13:21

Thanks for your suggestion. I did try swapping out the gfx card earlier in the week. It made no difference. This was before I
found the cause wasn't actually the video driver. Like I said earlier, when I ran Windows Update on a laptop that I'd setup
with Windows 8 for a friend, the exact same flickering display issue appeared. It was a buggy update from Microsoft.

I'll try the offline registry editor idea you suggested to try and restore the "Last Known Good Configuration" repair option,
that Microsoft's boffins decided to hide away for no good reason, since they seem to like hiding stuff from end users!

#17 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 17 March 2013 - 13:30

if you have any custom theme installed it it will do exactly that....

#18 DKAngel

DKAngel

That i cannot own ....I shall destroy

Posted 17 March 2013 - 13:45

tryied booting into safemode?

#19 OP DJGM

DJGM

Mancunian

Posted 17 March 2013 - 14:27

if you have any custom theme installed it it will do exactly that....

No custom themes installed ... except on Windows XP. Sure, some custom themes can cause problems, but this is to
do with a bad Microsoft update that also caused a laptop with Windows 8 installed to have the same display issue.

tried booting into safemode?

Yes, tried that ... doesn't work. The display still flickers on and off even in Safe Mode.